How Good Will Morristown West or Morristown East be this Fall?

EASTFAN

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Coach423T said:

That's how it usually  goes year in and year out aside a couple special teams from the NET.  The teams in Region 2 are beatable tho id say South Doyle and Central  will be the Top  teams.  A writer said he thinks Boone and Cherokee  are the favorites.

I would take Cherokee over Boone if I had to pick a front runner. I just think everyone in this conference is about the same. I wish one of these teams would prove me wrong and go 10-0.

Edited by EASTFAN

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long time since some of the larger high school football teams from Upper East Tennessee were consistently good meaning they competed for a state championship most years.  There are a variety of theories as to why they have trouble but my opinions are as follows:

1.  They do not have enough speed at the skill positions

2.  The strength training is not intense like some other regions.  You can look at the players bodies and they don't look like D1 talent.

3.  Weak schedules.  Yes, they would have to travel into Charlotte, NC, South Carolina or Middle Tennessee to play good teams and that does cost money.  

4.  From an outsider looking in it appears as if they would LIKE to be great but they may not want to put in the amount of sweat equity it requires to become  great.

5.  Jobs & athletes:  if there were great jobs in Upper East Tennessee and families were moving into the area you would see better athletes moving into the school systems.  Just look at the talent in Murfreesboro compared to Upper East Tennessee.  There is no comparison between the two but if the Middle Tennessee area did not have great job opportunities you would not have those families living in Murfreesboro.  

42 minutes ago, cbg said:

5.  Jobs & athletes:  if there were great jobs in Upper East Tennessee and families were moving into the area you would see better athletes moving into the school systems.  Just look at the talent in Murfreesboro compared to Upper East Tennessee.  There is no comparison between the two but if the Middle Tennessee area did not have great job opportunities you would not have those families living in Murfreesboro.  

According to http://tssaa.org/2016-17-high-school-enrollments/     UET has the 5th (Science Hill, 2248 students) and 6th (Dobyns Bennett, 2208) biggest high schools in the state.       Not disagreeing with point #5 above, but are you saying that if UET had better economics and SH/DB could enroll 3000 students then they would be more competitive?    I really think both these schools are close to capacity as it is and neither has much room to expand.    

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

According to http://tssaa.org/2016-17-high-school-enrollments/     UET has the 5th (Science Hill, 2248 students) and 6th (Dobyns Bennett, 2208) biggest high schools in the state.       Not disagreeing with point #5 above, but are you saying that if UET had better economics and SH/DB could enroll 3000 students then they would be more competitive?    I really think both these schools are close to capacity as it is and neither has much room to expand.    

Let's make no mistake, good paying blue collar jobs bring families into an area which in return brings student athletes.  The schools in Upper East Tennessee have very few kids with size that can turn their hips and run like NCAA D1 schools require.  True speed kills and the schools in UET do not have near enough speed to play with the great teams. If you want to really test yourself go and play Ensworth, Brentwood Academy or MBA as those schools have trouble filling out a schedule.  Go into South Carolina and play Byrnes or Spartanburg and see what real speed looks like.  For the most part you have been playing a regular season schedule against schools that look very much like your team.  Broaden your horizons and play someone that looks totally different than what your team does.  Even if you get beat those teams will expose your weaknesses and you will know what you must fix before the playoffs.  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, cbg said:

It's been a long time since some of the larger high school football teams from Upper East Tennessee were consistently good meaning they competed for a state championship most years.  There are a variety of theories as to why they have trouble but my opinions are as follows:

1.  They do not have enough speed at the skill positions

2.  The strength training is not intense like some other regions.  You can look at the players bodies and they don't look like D1 talent.

3.  Weak schedules.  Yes, they would have to travel into Charlotte, NC, South Carolina or Middle Tennessee to play good teams and that does cost money.  

4.  From an outsider looking in it appears as if they would LIKE to be great but they may not want to put in the amount of sweat equity it requires to become  great.

Your comments on some of the issues are spot on. Coaching and demands of the town can go along way in developing a championship football program. Look at Murfreesboro for example.they have 4 or 5 high school that have been working to get pass Maryville in the Semi for years.Murfreesboro Oakland final broke thru last year. My main point is, the whole town of Murfreesboro wasn’t happy with losing to Maryville every year. They invested in hiring new coaches and bring in trainers to help teams develop players.(weight room) This raised the level of play for the whole town and push it to the Maryville championship level. In upper East Tennessee do they really want to have good football at the high school level or not? In Morristown, I would say not. We haven’t brought In a Head Coach in years that has won a championship or been part of one since Don Woods came in from Alabama. Either there is a lack of money or there is an issue with whoever is making these hires.Why in the world would you hire a coaches who has never won anything and has a career losing record? In 3 years, Coaches Wells has 15 wins & 15 loses in regular seasons  and hasn’t been close to beating Morristown West. As far as Morristown West goes, it is too early to tell, if Coach Sanders will be the next Don Woods or not. One thing is for sure, if Sanders record after 3 years is the same as Wells has at Morristown East, he will be out as Head Coach for West! Yes, the talent has drop off in Morristown the last few years. (Both teams need more athletes with speed) Neither high school is getting much help from there middle school feeder programs. That is why coaching is so important now. You got to outwork people in the weight room and classroom to have a chance. I have support East High with my time and money over years and haven’t gotten the same dedication on the field or off it. I am no-way blame these young men who play for East High football. They are playing their heart out every week, with very little results to show for it.  I have try to talk to the principal and the Head Coach about my considers. All I got was to give him a chance and let it playout. It has played out and no one in charge seems to care. It is not fair to the kids (on this year team) that will be giving their blood and sweat for East’s every Friday night.

I really hope I am wrong and things will be different this year. One thing is for sure, we will find it out during our Kick Off Classic Aug. 18th at 7:30pm.

Edited by EASTFAN

EASTFAN - I would not worry too much, I think you guys will win the Region.    Your only competition is Boone and Cherokee.     Since 2006 you are 9-1 against Cherokee and 5-1 vs. Boone for the same period.     Okay, I guess we may need to throw Tenn High into the mix, not sure what they have this year.      But no matter, I think it is East's to lose.

15 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

our comments on some of the issues are spot on. Coaching and demands of the town can go along way in developing a championship football program. Look at Murfreesboro for example.they have 4 or 5 high school that have been working to get pass Maryville in the Semi for years.Murfreesboro Oakland final broke thru last year. My main point is, the whole town of Murfreesboro wasn’t happy with losing to Maryville every year. They invested in hiring new coaches and bring in trainers to help teams develop players.(weight room) This raised the level of play for the whole town and push it to the Maryville championship level. In upper East Tennessee do they really want to have good football at the high school level or not? In Morristown, I would say not. We haven’t brought In a Head Coach in years that has won a championship or been part of one since Don Woods came in from Alabama. Either there is a lack of money or there is an issue with whoever is making these hires.Why in the world would you hire a coaches who has never won anything and has a career losing record? In 3 years, Coaches Wells has 15 wins & 15 loses in regular seasons  and hasn’t been close to beating Morristown West. As far as Morristown West goes, it is too early to tell, if Coach Sanders will be the next Don Woods or not. One thing is for sure, if Sanders record after 3 years is the same as Wells has at Morristown East, he will be out as Head Coach for West! Yes, the talent has drop off in Morristown the last few years. (Both teams need more athletes with speed) Neither high school is getting much help from there middle school feeder programs. That is why coaching is so important now. You got to outwork people in the weight room and classroom to have a chance. I have support East High with my time and money over years and haven’t gotten the same dedication on the field or off it. I am no-way blame these young men who play for East High football. They are playing their heart out every week, with very little results to show for it.  I have try to talk to the principal and the Head Coach about my considers. All I got was to give him a chance and let it playout. It has played out and no one in charge seems to care. It is not fair to the kids (on this year team) that will be giving their blood and sweat for East’s every Friday night.

I really hope I am wrong and things will be different this year. One thing is for sure, we will find it out during our Kick Off Classic Aug. 18th at 7:30pm.

Eastfan,

Everything that you have said up to this point is true.  Just like it takes a village to raise a child it takes a community to win in high school football.  Everyone must be pulling on the same end of the rope.  One thing that you must consider is that in communities where the teams are nationally ranked 90+% of the time the head high school football coach hires the coaching staff for the middle schools that feed his school and the youth football programs.  At the middle school and youth level it's about developing great fundamentals so that the high school coaching staff can take it to the next level.  

Edited by cbg

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, cbg said:

Eastfan,

Everything that you have said up to this point is true.  Just like it takes a village to raise a child it takes a community to win in high school football.  Everyone must be pulling on the same end of the rope.  One thing that you must consider is that in communities where the teams are nationally ranked 90+% of the time the head high school football coach hires the coaching staff for the middle schools that feed his school and the youth football programs.  At the middle school and youth level it's about developing great fundamentals so that the high school coaching staff can take it to the next level.  

That is why the Head Football Coach has to demand the middle school coaches work with him on developing those fundamentals. I know for sure that when GQ was Head coach in Maryville he new the names and what position the best players in middle school were playing. He also made them run the same offense. In Morristown if both coaches would spend more time with the middle school coaches a lot of the problem we are seeing wouldn't be happening. I know that will require more time and base on what I hear. the coaches pay in Morristown is not all that good. So as you said above, just maybe the village is going have to step-up with more money and demand better results.

In region play West has:
   Bearden
   Dobyns Bennett
   Farragut (2016 5A champ)
   Hardin Valley
   Jefferson Co
   Science Hill

DB and SH are both big schools (> 2k students), a lot of depth and sometimes they just wear you down at the end.
Farragut goes without saying after last year's gold ball.

Could be a tough region for West.

If East gets by Boone and Cherokee then they win the region

Edited by blazer1set

On 7/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, blazer1set said:

In region play West has:
   Bearden
   Dobyns Bennett
   Farragut (2016 5A champ)
   Hardin Valley
   Jefferson Co
   Science Hill

DB and SH are both big schools (> 2k students), a lot of depth and sometimes they just wear you down at the end.
Farragut goes without saying after last year's gold ball.

Could be a tough region for West.

If East gets by Boone and Cherokee then they win the region

West knows what they have to do. I just hope they make it happen instead of worrying about other schools enrollments.