Sequoyah @ McMinn Central

charger05

19 hours ago, hohmaster said:

I was at the McMinn Co game Friday and watched both teams close. I played college football and used to coach in high school and college so I think my assessment is pretty good. McMinn Co is not a real good team for so it might not be hard for Sequoyah to be as good. Central didn't show me much. I really don't know much about Sequoyah but having seen Central get beat bad by that McMinn Co team tells me that Central better improve a lot and quickly or they will have a long season. I am hoping to be at the game this week.

Awesome!  Where did you play and Coach my friend?  

Look I agree McMinn is not what it was last year, but a 6-A team is a 6-A team.  Games this early can come down to numbers.  With Central offense not on the field much, the defense finally just gave way to fatigue.  I thought they battled and showed a lot of heart.  As I said before the turnovers were at very crucial points giving up awful field position, not to mention giving up 1st downs off of penalties when there was a potential stop, again putting defense back on the field.  I appreciate the assessment, but different Johnny's and Joe's can make a difference in different positions.  Either way I think this is a good match up.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, thegreatwhite1 said:

Sequoyah wouldn't know anything about 6A football, since to my knowledge they've never scheduled a 6A team.  Go Blue!!!

I don't think anyone from Sequoyah was talking about 6A football? Only thing I said was that I think SQHS will win if they don't make mistakes. I didn't say they would win because they lost to McMinn county? 

Edited by MocoSportsFan

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, hohmaster said:

I was at the McMinn Co game Friday and watched both teams close. I played college football and used to coach in high school and college so I think my assessment is pretty good. McMinn Co is not a real good team for so it might not be hard for Sequoyah to be as good. Central didn't show me much. I really don't know much about Sequoyah but having seen Central get beat bad by that McMinn Co team tells me that Central better improve a lot and quickly or they will have a long season. I am hoping to be at the game this week.

Having played a couple years of college football, as well as coaching a couple years of high school football as an assistant (both were a few decades ago) I still believe the most improvement a team should make is between their first and second game. 
The game this past Friday between the Cherokees and Chargers was weighted with tons of penalties (25 total, I believe) and mistakes.  You expect some mistakes in the first game - especially with so many young players on both teams - but double digit penalties for each team has to be disappointing for their coaching staff.  I agree that both McMinn and Central need to improve in many areas for their game this week, and I would expect both of them will.  However, with the quantity of each team's young players and schedule, vast improvement may take a few games and still may not bring a victory. 

4 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

Having played a couple years of college football, as well as coaching a couple years of high school football as an assistant (both were a few decades ago) I still believe the most improvement a team should make is between their first and second game. 
The game this past Friday between the Cherokees and Chargers was weighted with tons of penalties (25 total, I believe) and mistakes.  You expect some mistakes in the first game - especially with so many young players on both teams - but double digit penalties for each team has to be disappointing for their coaching staff.  I agree that both McMinn and Central need to improve in many areas for their game this week, and I would expect both of them will.  However, with the quantity of each team's young players and schedule, vast improvement may take a few games and still may not bring a victory. 

Hopefully the offense can produce this week.  Glad tomorrow is gameday.  I love football season!

2 hours ago, MocoSportsFan said:

It's gameday!  Good luck to both teams tonight.  Hoping for an injury free game on both sides tonight.  It would be good to see both teams clean up the penalties and turnovers tonight.  My prediction is 

Sequoyah 28

Mcminn Central 14

Good luck my friend, hoping the score is reversed :)

On 8/24/2017 at 10:43 AM, blitzinbuc said:

Now that's a good post!

19 hours ago, MocoSportsFan said:

That game was one of the best HS football games I have watched. A tale of two halves for both teams. Hopefully both teams did not leave the game too banged up. 

This was a good game from a fan perspective, but so unfortunate for the Chargers.  So many missed opportunities in the first half.  Score could have been at least 28-0 at the half.  Seq. showed a lot of heart in 3rd qtr.  scoring on 2 big plays after defense held strong.  Unfortunate but  seeing some good things.  Good luck to Seq. for remainder of their season.