Westmoreland' s New Girls Coach

EagleForLife

If Westmoreland parents/ players want to win then they need to start playing more than just during the season. If kids are not playing AAU at an early age then they are way behind those that do. Not every kid is super athletic or super talented and at the county level you get who shows up for school. So to say it’s the coaches fault is not entirely true. I will say that he does have a responsibility to develop them throughout their high school career,  however if they do not want to do more than just the minimum then they should not expect results to reflect anything but that. Westmoreland has never been known for its girls basketball so it’s not like this is an elite program that has fallen because of a coach. If I was a parent and I wanted my child to become better then I would find them an AAU team to play on  and make sure they were putting in the extra time themselves to become a better player. Now if enough parents do this their performance on the court will show. Many parents these days think little Susie should be in the WNBA even though she cannot dribble a basketball or even shoot it. So before we point fingers at the coach let’s make sure that you as parents and players are doing everything in your power to become better as an individual and as a team. I would be interested to know if this team plays AAU together or if there are girls on this team to actually play AAU basketball in the  Spring and summer.  

Holy cow. I created an account just to share my thoughts on this. It generally drives me crazy. FYI, I'm not from Westmoreland but I do know the culture and town.  The new girls coach, Coach Perry, is not the old coach. That in itself makes him not good enough in many people's eyes. Change is scary for many, and "new" is wrong, regardless of the fact that Coach Perry has college playing experience and has had a wide variety of bball knowledge available to him through his young career. Shocker, there is more than 1 way to play bball and it depends on what talent you have available. You say "arrogant", but do you mean "not the way I want it done"?

I've seen Westmoreland play. And the cold truth, from an impartial person, is that Westmoreland just doesn't have the talent that some of the teams have had in the past. You have one guard, a sophomore if remember correctly but I'm sorry to say I don't remember the number, that can and will be a really good ball player as she gets the coaching and training that Coach Perry will give her. She really impressed me. But there is no size that would make a difference in the team I saw, nor is there anybody I saw that you can count on making an outside shot if needed. How many W's do you think you could get with that team?

Coach Perry is young, but where does that mean he doesn't "know what he's doing"? Maybe young means he's not stuck in an old school, outdated mentality when it comes to what "good basketball" means.  From what I saw, he runs good sets and his girls show they have an understanding of sound bball concepts. And they play hard. What more can you teach? How they execute those fundamental bball skills is up to the 5 on the floor.  So give him time and support, and even if his last name isn't Abner he will bring some good bball to Westmoreland.  It just pains me to no end when those that sit in the stands or are in the community that don't go to practice, or even attempt to get to know and understand someone, start throwing random passive aggressive things out there. He's going to be a good one. If you run him off, he'll be a good one for someone else.