Best high school game you've ever watched

lawnman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 quarterfinal between Smith Co. and Macon Co. Macon Co. fielded their best team probably ever. It was played in Lafayette and they still have an old school stadium where the stands and fence are right on the field. Stands were full before 5, and by kickoff, 4000 or more filled the small stadium. The fence circling the field was 4 or more deep with fans standing. The two streets that run by the stadium where closed off because they were filled with fans 3 rows deep. Trees growing outside the stadium in locals front yards were full of even more fans trying to get a view of these neighboring county rivals. Both crowds were absolutely deafening the entire game. I was fortunate to get a front row fence spot around 30 yard line. Needless to say I didn't move from my spot the entire game. I literally had to yell in the guys ear next to me for him to hear me. I mean not just during scores or big plays either. This was in between plays also. The game was a classic also. Smith Co. led 9-7 with around 20 seconds and Macon kicked a 50+ yard field goal to win 10-9. The few seconds between the kick and the refs signal you could have heard a pin drop. I have watched several games and playoff games around the state over the last 20+ years. I have seen some classics but with both game quality AND the best atmosphere I have witnessed, this one tops them all.

MC had 4 goal line stands that yielded 0 points for SC. MC forced a punt at midfield and took over on their own 6 yard line with no timeouts and about 1:50 left on the clock. MC converted a 4th and long early in the drive. QB spiked the ball with a few seconds left. 50 yard FG later, MC fans ripped the goal post down. I know several folks who showed up at 6:30, bought a ticket but could not get close enough to the field to see. Incredible HS atomosphere, best game i've ever seen. The Fulton, Trousdale was very good too. Edited by TimCase

Martin Westview -- Humboldt 1970. Both teams were undefeated and Martin had not lost a game in four years. It may still be the largest crowd to ever see a game at UTM's stadium. Humboldt ran the opening kickoff back for a TD and Westview drove the length of the field for a score on their first possession. The game was tied 20-20 and Martin Westview hit a FG on the last play of the game for a 23-20 win.