Thoughts on State Tourney

REBELRON

Yes, you are correct in your praise of Nathaniel Calhoun. He, Marcus Hunter and Tim Green have played off the bench all year long for Raleigh Egypt and have never gotten their due. They are the reason so many posters have spoken of Raleigh Egypt's depth. They contribute as much as the starters and all did start at different points in the year.

In the regional finals, "Duke" scored seven point in the last minute and hit the game winning three pointer with 5 seconds left to beat Mitchell. There is only one way to describe him..."WINNER". He plays with a reckless abandon that makes him a crowd favorite and coach's dream.

Next year will be his year along with Maurice Miller and Marcus Hunter.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first time I saw Ingram play since he signed to play at Martin, I was hoping to see something to give us hope for the future, but like btown said 0 points, and if i'm not mistaken he only took 1 shot, which was a fadeaway airball, from the 3 point line. So for anybody that has seen him play more, what should we expect from him up here at UT Martin?

This was the first time I saw Ingram play since he signed to play at Martin, I was hoping to see something to give us hope for the future, but like btown said 0 points, and if i'm not mistaken he only took 1 shot, which was a fadeaway airball, from the 3 point line. So for anybody that has seen him play more, what should we expect from him up here at UT Martin?

825627112[/snapback]

its gonna take alot more than him to help our team out :)

he is a solid player though in the other games ive seen him play. he would probably be able do more if he wasnt the 3rd scoring option on his team.

Edited by btowntigers

Our group made alot of jokes about all the charge calls. Then the FEW blocks that were called, we were like...." what, no charge!" Although, we began to see alot of charge calls during the regional tournaments & really were not surprised at state. Most all the games prove to be pretty exciting though.

Your criticism of Kinnard assumes that he must be clicking for Raleigh Egypt to win! 

When he was nullified by Bolivar's defensive scheme, Raleigh took too much time TRYING to get him involved.  The second half run came about because Maurice Miller, Rico Seay and Larricus Brown asserted themselves and the team became more aggressive and began to attack the Bolivar defense.  Also, Bolivar began to choke versus the press (9 turnovers), which was a key to the comeback.

Remember, the Pharaohs made up all of the deficit and actually TOOK THE LEAD behind their efforts...belying the need for Kinnard to have A GREAT GAME for the Pharaohs to have a chance. 

Miller's three pointer that was taken away at the buzzer was a HUGE mistaken call by the official.  The combination of Miller fouling out and the great steal late in the game by Bolivar was the difference...not Kinnard's poor performance. 

As far as the poor coaching remark...I'd say pulling a team back from an eighteen point, second half deficit in the state championship and having a chance to win when your star is having a nightmare game speaks for itself.

825627053[/snapback]

I respect your perspective on the game, Jumpshot. We obviously differ on the KEY issues/strategies that contributed to Raleigh Egypt's loss.

Hey, that's allright by me, Jumpshot. Frankly, that's one of the reasons why I love this CoachT forum--it allows for the liberal exchange of a multitude of views & opinions. I look forward to it.

Here's more of my perspective on the RE/BC game, Jumshot, for what it's worth:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then...while its true that RE's comeback was due to the agressive play of Kinnard's teammates, I remain convinced that Kinnard's impotent play contributed HEAVILY to RE's loss. Further, RE coach's 2nd-half "full-court-press" strategy was a GOOD adjustment--I agree with that. That does NOT negate the fact, in my view, that the coach should have designed more plays for Kinnard, ESPECIALLY in the POST--when Chism (or the other big guy, O. Kemp) went to the bench, with foul trouble!

Jumpshot, RE's coach did not make ENOUGH adjustments. I really believe that he could have done a WHOLE lot more, to help RE pull that game out....Am I being too hard on him--probably. Am I being FAIR...well, let's just say that I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Back to Kinnard...he is RE's BEST low-post player. That's not my opinion; that's a fact based on Kinnard's season-long, consistent, low post contribution. Yet, during the game vs. Bolivar, he rarely posted up. In fact, when O. Kemp went to the bench (for a LONG time) Kinnard continued to set picks, instead of ATTACKING Bolivar's weakened interior (this was an adjustment that SHOULD have been made....by the COACH).

It is not my OPINION that RE can NOT win without Kinnard's normal production; The inescapable FACT is that they have NEVER won with Kinnard's POOR performance. You see, this was the FIRST time this season that Kinnard has had THIS poor a scoring performance!

Oh, sure...Raleigh Egypt probably could have beaten OVERMATCHED teams like Lipscomb (sorry DL fans) without Kinnard....My perspective refers only to TOP-NOTCH opponents like Bolivar.

In conclusion, Jumpshot, I think that it is a fallacy to think that Kinnard's poor performance did not CONTRIBUTE to RE's loss. It's a hollow argument to suggest that RE's coach "full-court-press" adjustment was ENOUGH... To suggest otherwise is to IGNORE everything that (RE's leading scorer) Kinnard did for RE in EVERY game, except Bolivar--score more than 2 points! It also casts a blind eye to a coach's DUTY to make adjustments, as many as possible, as the situation dictates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

One last thing...Congratulations to Bolivar. They certaintly played a role in the outcome of the game--that's for darn sure!

Can we agree on that, Jumpshot? :unsure:

Edited by TraderB

825627112[/snapback]

Actually, he's a pretty good shooter. He's just SLOW as molassis and poor passer!

It's nothing personal; just my view of his game.

Bolivar's speed clearly bothered Ingram. Thus, he spent most of the game on the bench.

I wish Ingram the best of success @ UTM. He'll need to work hard, really hard on his weaknesses. I just don't know what he can actually do to develop more quickness. His passing skills can be developed.

I liked their band also. Another thing that was great was the Middleton Tiger mascot.

825625141[/snapback]

Here is a word for the Middleton Tiger Mascot:

Hey everybody, this is the Middleton Mascot, Troubles. I just wanted to thank everybody for all of the compliments that I've had. I really enjoyed being at the games, it was one of the best times that I've had mascoting. Since this is my senior year, that was my last time that I could mascot, I thought that I should go all out. I've never had the response that I got at the State Championship Saturday. It really meant a lot. Thanks again.

Troubles

Edited by MHS Tiger Fan

Miller's three pointer that was taken away at the buzzer was a HUGE mistaken call by the official.  The combination of Miller fouling out and the great steal late in the game by Bolivar was the difference...not Kinnard's poor performance. 

825627053[/snapback]

Replays showed the call was correct, though. The Pharaohs did a great job of staying in the game mentally despite all that went wrong in the first half. It's disappointing, but that was still a great run.

I know you said you think R-E will be rebuilding as they move up to AAA, but I'm not sure. They're moving into a district they'll have a good chance to win right away -- Cordova and Bolton lost almost everybody, and Bartlett will still be young -- with a weak district on the other half of the region.

Replays showed the call was correct, though.  The Pharaohs did a great job of staying in the game mentally despite all that went wrong in the first half.  It's disappointing, but that was still a great run.

I know you said you think R-E will be rebuilding as they move up to AAA, but I'm not sure.  They're moving into a district they'll have a good chance to win right away -- Cordova and Bolton lost almost everybody, and Bartlett will still be young -- with a weak district on the other half of the region.

825628272[/snapback]

Yeah the gap between AA and AAA is at the best small and closer to reality, no existant. Yeah Ridgeway is the best team in the state. But Bolivar and Raleigh Egypt could both have beaten Jackson North Side. Look for Raleigh Egypt to remain dominant.