MTSCA Coaches Poll

coachd

reasons private schools are better?

1. they have better coaches, not some football coach who is just doing it for a stipend.

2. The best ball players play travel ball, which is expensive to do, and private school families tend to be able to afford it more

3. The good players can pick and choose what school they want to go to, without having to worry about zoning restrictions, so they can go to a successful program.

825628983[/snapback]

Those are some BS reasons and you know it. There are plenty of successful coaches across the state that coach other sports as well. Example--Coach Griffin from Hendersonville....hes the defensive coordinator for the football team, and he is a well respected softball coach as well.

Your second comment i dont like either. Majority of the girls that play school ball, play travel ball as well. And if they dont play travel ball, that doesnt mean they arent a good player.

I hate talkin about the private/public thing...so im gonna stop. Rethink your comments though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you think private schools are better teams?

825628618[/snapback]

Example: Travel Team A has ten players from ten different counties. Five players decide to go to Private School A, while the remaining five players go to the public school in their county. This happens again with Travel Team B. All of a sudden Private School A has ten top quality players and the public schools have two each.

This is far fetched, I know, but it could happen to some extent. The smaller public schools usually do not have the capital, resources, or the players available to them that the privates do.

Thats true look at a few schools maybe single A some where D II. then waited their two years and then well you know the rest... Anyways also look at riverdale . Ever girl is a travel ball player. ITs like playing a 18u A ball team when you play teams like that .... Hard for some schools to deal with that .. One game maybe but in a tournament . Other teams run out of gas... I guess you can look at the top five of the last few tournaments and see who they are. That will tell the story.

Those are some BS reasons and you know it. There are plenty of successful coaches across the state that coach other sports as well. Example--Coach Griffin from Hendersonville....hes the defensive coordinator for the football team, and he is a well respected softball coach as well.

Your second comment i dont like either. Majority of the girls that play school ball, play travel ball as well.  And if they dont play travel ball, that doesnt mean they arent a good player.

I hate talkin about the private/public thing...so im gonna stop. Rethink your comments though.

825629260[/snapback]

sorry to disagree with you, but what I said was no BS...while it is true some public schools have excellent coaches, for every great coach...such as the former Beech coach, Breeden at Riverdale, etc...there are probably 10 public schools that have coaches that know nothing about softball...they are either a football coach or maybe a former baseball player trying to coach....most of them may not have ever seen a softball game before becoming coach....given all things equal, a good softball coach will beat a good baseball coach most every time because the strategies are so different.

I never said that girls cant be good softball player if they dont play travel ball. But look at the top 100 softball players in the state...I bet at least 99 of them play, or have played travel ball.

Look at the last tournament in Hendersonville. Who were in the final four? Goodpasture, Riverdale, Brentwood, and Hixson were the teams. Final game; a nail biter between Riverdale and Brentwood determined in over time! There are good teams with good coaching in both groups, private and public.

I think the difference is how they get the ingredients to be good. Riverdale and Brentwood have big schools with lots of travel ball players because of location and size. Goodpasture attracts from a wide area because of reputation. If you live in Riverdale or Brentwood's footprint you don't need to seek out a private school to play ball on a good team. The coaching looks good on all those teams.

And by the way, all those teams are loaded with travel ball players.

jmoses, you make accusations as if you know something, tell us just who does this. TSSAA would love to know. Otherwise it sounds like sour grapes. I have never heard of a person housing a basketball or football player just so the address is within a certain zone, have you? Does Marshall County have open zones? Should Forrest or Marshall County High have to move up because of open zones? Why do the 1A publics dominate girls basketball? Beats me. My bet is whatever school has the highest level of rec/travel ball activities available in the area for offseason training are the schools that succeed in certain sports. Shelbyville's Sport Shop AAU program great example. Goodpasture has Madison and Goodlettsville softball, Forrest has Marshall Little League. Ezell use to get Music City Park players.

Edited by std

jmoses, you make accusations as if you know something, tell us just who does this.  TSSAA would love to know.  Otherwise it sounds like sour grapes.  I have never heard of a person housing a basketball or football player just so the address is within a certain zone, have you?  Does Marshall County have open zones?  Should Forrest or Marshall County High have to move up because of open zones?  Why do the 1A publics dominate girls basketball?  Beats me.  My bet is whatever school has the highest level of rec/travel ball activities available in the area for offseason training are the schools that succeed in certain sports.  Shelbyville's Sport Shop AAU program great example.  Goodpasture has Madison and Goodlettsville softball,  Forrest has Marshall Little League.  Ezell use to get Music City Park players.

825630122[/snapback]

std...it happens more than people want to believe, but mostly on the private school level...and its not reported because those that live in glass houses, shouldnt be throwing any stones. Kids that go to public schools get away with transferring to other zones legally by moving to another county, or within county by saying they need a special class in another school that isnt offered in their own school.

Edited by Bleacherbum

Not bad but i dont think the A is right have they seen Columbia Acd. play. They should be in the top five .....

825626573[/snapback]

Did not see them play last night, but understand they were defeated by a good Summertown team, which also defeated Boyd Buchanan last weekend in the Ardmore tourney.

Preseason Midstate Poll as voted on by MTSCA coaches:

AAA

1 Riverdale

2 Brentwood

3 Wilson Central

4 Dickson County

5 Beech

6 Rossview

AA

1 Marshall County

2 Creekwood

3 Greenbrier