Why is any private in DI?- answer my own question

Huh?

Here is why no DI school should ever consider voluntarily going into DII:

from the Tennessean:

TSSAA rejects proposal for two D-II state finals

Contrasting views on classification have peaked again.

While the focus of high school sports was inside MTSU’s Murphy Center for the Division I boys basketball state tournaments last week, a proposal for reform within Division II was shot down.

The TSSAA Board of Control voted 5-3 against the addition of Division II small-class state tournaments in boys and girls basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

“They had requested a class for schools with enrollments of 300 and below and had asked for a state tournament in those sports in addition to the present tournament format,” TSSAA Executive Director Ronnie Carter said.

Division II numbers 38 schools for the new classification period, which begins this fall. It has three classes for football but just one class for all other sports.

The latest proposal would have provided greater postseason opportunities for Midstate schools Davidson Academy (moving to Division II), St. Andrews-Sewanee, Webb School and College Heights.

Opponents of additional classes argue that too many state tournaments water down the value of winning a championship. Advocates argue that a school like College Heights, with an enrollment of 55, cannot compete with Memphis Christian Brothers, whose enrollment is 1,676.

DII is absolutely without voice in any legislative matters. A solid committee of DII heads and AD's prepared this proposal with the help of Bernard Childress and Ronnie Carter. The proposal was not going to cost TSSAA a cent and the schools themselves were going to foot the bill. The understanding was that this would be rubber stamped by the B of C.

5 Public School Administrators, elected representatives of the Board of Control, voted against.

There is absolutely no hope for small DII's under the current format and absolutely no relief in sight. All you DI's who choose not to join DII this fall-----

Congratulations!

Edited by Huh?

"Opponents of additional classes argue that too many state tournaments water down the value of winning a championship. "

so then what is their rationale for having classes at all?

i continue to be astonished at the shameful treatment of D-II by the imperial board of bureaucratic bunk. you guys have my sympathy.

"Opponents of additional classes argue that too many state tournaments water down the value of winning a championship. "

so then what is their rationale for having classes at all?

i continue to be astonished at the shameful treatment of D-II by the imperial board of bureaucratic bunk. you guys have my sympathy.

825627502[/snapback]

Laz.......I hear ya man.

I wonder how many of those votes came from Div. IA schools?

I wonder also what their thoughts were when "watering down" championships were when it came time to vote out some good programs to Div. IIA ?

I wonder how many of those votes came from Div. IA schools?

Here is the breakdown:

First Athletic District

Mike Reed, Morristown West High School, Morristown (President)

Term Expires March, 2005

Second Athletic District

Lynn Brown, Maryville High School, Maryville

Term Expires March, 2006

Third Athletic District

Tommy Layne, Sequatchie Co. High School, Dunlap

Term Expires March, 2007

Fourth Athletic District

Terry Looper, Cascade High School, Wartrace

Term Expires March, 2007

Fifth Athletic District

Mike Tribue, McGavock High School, Nashville

Term Expires March, 2006

Sixth Athletic District

Mickey Dunn, Lawrence Co. High School, Lawrenceburg

Term Expires March, 2005

Seventh Athletic District

Fred Kessler, Bolivar Central High School, Bolivar

(Vice President)

Term Expires March, 2005

Eighth Athletic District

Sam Miles, Dyersburg High School, Dyersburg

Term Expires March, 2006

Ninth Athletic District

Joe Davis, Manassas High School Memphis

Term Expires March, 2007

Looks like Terry Looper is the only DIA representative. I wish I knew who voted what--

They really are an enlightened bunch!

Looks like Terry Looper is the only DIA representative.  I wish I knew who voted what--

They really are an enlightened bunch!

825627887[/snapback]

Only because until this cycle, Manassas was playing up into AA (since they were the only single-A school in the Memphis city system other than Middle College). With the multiplier, Westside is also below the cutoff, so they stayed down for the new cycle.