Metro Coaching Changes

cobrafan90

NightStalker,

Why would a principal at one school let a principal at another school be involved in who they hire? Especially since they both play in the same district.

So, if one is to believe your theory, McGavock's principal will have Hunters Lane prinicpal to hire his coach, then he would have Antioch's principal to hire Hunters Lane's coach, then he would have Maplewood's principal to hire Antioch's coach, then DOOTY would be his next coach.

CODED:(??? ???

825629693[/snapback]

This isn't theory this is how they do things now in Metro. If it doesn't make sense consider the source. Tribue is on many of these interview committees and remember, he is on the TSSAA board of control. He wields a great deal of influence in MNPS like it or not.

At least it's a little better than it used to be, the time Hillwood hired a coach when Davis got the job it was a complete dog and pony show, there must have been 30 people on the interview committee and it was decided already as well. Pick your poison, I would rather see Mike Tribue than a room full of players, parents, teachers I didn't know. The aforementioned scenario seems a bit more manageable than the latter...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godbolt it's not a round robin trade, it's just a matter of who the favorites are of those in power (similar to nepitism). Metro's "good ole boy" system has just taken on a new look. It happens to be a new group of good ole boys pushing the buttons.

Coachtut, you are probably right about the interviews.

BigPoppa, it could be the Spanish inquisition or a lone executioner but the outcomes are usually the same.

What about the little man that coached the Antioch freshmen, will he be considered? I have heard he was a favorite of the principal.

NightStalker,

The so called "good ole boy" system went out the door once Metro hired Dr. Pedro Garcia as the director of Metro Schools. With a directive from the Metro's Mayor's office and MNPS board to rid the system of this problem. So, over the last two years the so call "good ole boys" have either retired, reassigned or sent back to the classroom. But it would be naive for anyone to think the system has been cleared 100%.

Now, back to my original question, why would Pearl-Cohn's principal or Antioch's principal want to listen to the prinicpal from McGavock when his school haven't advance past the regional since he has been there? It seems to me they would listen to MLK's or Hillsboro's principal since both of their schools advance to the state recently. Besides, he has his own coaching, recruiting, and lawsuit problems at McGavock. Where's Kyle Shipley and Dr. Bills of Gallatin when they are needed?

Big Poppa,

Because he's on the TSSAA board of control, doesn't mean a ( _ _ _ _ ) thing! Apparently you are not aware of that the fact that TSSAA is ran by the schools for the schools. That's why this state has pubic and private divisions (I an II). If you do the math there's more public schools then private schools, therefore they will always out vote the private schools on any issue no matter how you slice cake. This multiply thing that they came up with (wrong time, wrong forum so I'll move on).

Now the bigger questions is, why when public schools such as McGavock recruit athletes (football and basketball) it's okay, but when the Brentwood Academy's, MBA's, and Ensworth's of the world recruit athletes certain public school principal's whine like babies?

TraderJack,

To answer you question, I hear that Lawrence Haywood (Whites Creek graduate) of Bass Middle and Ty Wilson (Pearl-Cohn graduate) of H.G. Hill Middle are the leading candiates for the Pearl-Cohn job, and that Troy Allen of Hillsboro, Doc Shelton of MLK, and a undisclosed coach from the Memphis area are being considerd for the Antioch vacancy.

IMHO, I think both schools should hire coaches from big-time winning programs from outside this state. If not, I would offer the job to Wilson-Central's coach Troy Bond and/or Beech's coach Darren Joines. Guys that know how to coach and guys who have been there and done that!

Edited by GoldBolt

Goldbolt, you may want to back away from the crack pipe before you burn yourself!

Why would Troy Bond or Darren Joines want these Metro jobs? If you remove your head from your anus you would realize both are doing pretty well for themselves where they are at. Beech should be considered a leading contender to qualify for the state tournament from Mid Tn. Troy Bond is at home where he is at, not to mention these guys make enough from their basketball camps to make up for the pay differential and it is tax free no less. If you have not noticed, many athletes are moving outside of Metro to programs like the ones you have mentioned.

Mike Tribue does have a great deal of pull in this system and within the TSSAA (you know that head in anus thing again) don't kid yourself or anyone else. The public/private thing has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about on here.

Antioch could only hope that Troy Allen is interested in them. He's not going anywhere either, he has a much better working situation at Hillsboro and the talent keeps on coming.

Just go down Doc's bench a little further and name a few dozen more of his assistants. I don't think the guys you mentioned are ready. I'm pretty sure one Mike Davis would be interested in the PC job. I believe another strong contender is the guy who coached with Fitzgerald this year since he is already in the loop there.

Oh, Goldbolt, save your public/private crap for another topic.

Why would anybody think Shelton would go to another school? He has the run of the school. The principal there has to ask him for permission to use the bathroom. If one of those middle school coaches got the job it would cut into the MLK recruiting pipeline. Mike Davis would sell his soul to the devil for a job (if he had one).

I agree with BigPoppa, about Joines and Bond. NO WAY, And it's not because they're not good coaches.

Goldbolt, Mcgavock has advanced past the region since Tribue has been there. They were eliminated in back to back sectionals the two previous years.

Maybe good ole boys is not the right term but the sentiment is correct. I'm not talking about the same ones. I am talking about a new group doing the same type of things.

NightStalker,

I truly appreciate your candor and thoughts on this post. And I see you have taken the time to read my previous posts. As you have read, I said I would offer the job to one of those two (Bonds and Joines). I didn't say either would take the job or would be offer the job.

I disagree with you on the good ole boy thing, so let's say we agree to disagree.

You are right about McGavock and the sectional, I meant to type sectional instead of regional in relation to my opinion (ex:Hillsboro and MLK state appearance).

And, I agree with you about Mike Davis, I can envision him at Pearl-Cohn but not at Antioch.

IMO, I think Doc would be interested in the Antioch job more so then the Pearl-Cohn job since the Firebirds are moving to the AA level next year. I think the 12-AAA division is very appealing to Doc just to prove his work at MLK is no fluke. If I remember correctly he was in the running for the Antioch's job four years ago. Also, I believe he still lives in the Antioch area.

As I said in my previous post, I think both jobs should be offer to out-of-staters, just to bring in some fresh blood. But, frankly, I don't give a hoot who is or isn't hired.

LIL POPPY,

If you're a child I have included you in my prayers. If you're an adult, I invited you to attend Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 7594 Old Hickory Blvd, Whites Creek, TN 37189 and pray with us this easter Sunday.

If you would have taken the time and/or slow down as you read, you would have noticed I'm voicing my opinion and thoughts just as you and everyone else on this board is doing. For you to result to name calling shows a lack of maturity and some sort of a behavior flaw. Where you neglected as a child?

And, I truly hope you were not educated in the Metro system. If so, now I understand why my property tax will triple. I guess I better start looking for a third job or head back to Georgia.

P.S. There's a church member that may be able to treat your name calling, bipolar-acting behavior. She's a top notch PSYCHIATRIST. Her initial consultation is free, once she diagnose your illness just mention James Goldbolt and she won't charge you. She owes me one! Oh, you will have to pay for your own prescription, but don't buy any generic brands. YOU NEED THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY!!!

Edited by GoldBolt

NightStalker,

I truly appreciate your candor and thoughts on this post.  And I see you have taken the time to read my previous posts. As you have read, I said I would offer the job to one of those two (Bonds and Joines). I didn't say either would take the job or would be offer the job. 

I disagree with you on the good ole boy thing, so let's say we agree to disagree.

You are right about McGavock and the sectional, I meant to type sectional instead of regional in relation to my opinion (ex:Hillsboro and MLK state appearance).

And, I agree with you about Mike Davis, I can envision him at Pearl-Cohn but not at Antioch.

IMO, I think Doc would be interested in the Antioch job more so then the Pearl-Cohn job since the Firebirds are moving to the AA level next year. I think the 12-AAA division is very appealing to Doc just to prove his work at MLK is no fluke. If I remember correctly he was in the running for the Antioch's job four years ago. Also, I believe he still lives in the Antioch area.

As I said in my previous post, I think both jobs should be offer to out-of-staters, just to bring in some fresh blood. But, frankly, I don't give a hoot who is or isn't hired.

LIL POPPY,

If you're a child I have included you in my prayers. If you're an adult, I invited you to attend Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 7594 Old Hickory Blvd, Whites Creek, TN 37189 and pray with us this easter Sunday.

If you would have taken the time and/or slow down as you read, you would have noticed I'm voicing my opinion and thoughts just as you and everyone else on this board is doing. For you to result to name calling shows a lack of maturity and some sort of a behavior flaw. Where you neglected as a child?

And, I truly hope you were not educated in the Metro system. If so, now I understand why my property tax will triple. I guess I better start looking for a third job or head back to Georgia.

P.S. There's a church member that may be able to treat your name calling, bipolar-acting behavior. She's a top notch PSYCHIATRIST. Her initial consultation is free, once she diagnose your illness just mention James Goldbolt and she won't charge you. She owes me one! Oh, you will have to pay for your own prescription, but don't buy any generic brands. YOU NEED THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY!!!

825630369[/snapback]

Pot calling the kettle black, Goldbolt. :huh:

Shadow, like you I am always lurking around here. It is nice to see you back hanging around Metro instead of Lebanon these days.

Now, for the real "inside stuff". First off, Arnett either has to finally pass the NTE or he will have to move on AGAIN after next year. He already coached Antioch's freshman football team this past fall. He will be begging his 2nd daddy Tribue to get him that job. I hear Ms. Bess does like him. Everyone knows that the Antioch cluster has the greatest abundance of talent in Metro. Talent can make a weak coach look better. Just like lack of talent can make a good one lose his job. I can see Doc entertaining the Antioch position just because of his ego, but guys lets face it. If those kids wouldn't put up with the discipline that Mangrum tried to put in, do you really think they would put up with Doc's dog and pony show? Ty Wilson is one of doc's 47 assistants in charge of recruiting. Pearl only has one feeder and is down to 700 students since they bussed them all over to Hillwood. Eligibility is always an issue there after their freshman year (unless they play football). Doc already has at least HG Hill, McKissack and East Literature middle schools being worked hard by his "assistants" since he loses an ABUNDANCE of talent to graduation this year and his last two freshman classes have had one player each that could ever be a decent high school player. Lawrence Haywood has done a good job at the middle school level. Is he ready for a Varsity job? I don't know. Mike Davis will not get the job unless Garcia has a lapse of memory.

Darren Joines has done a good job at Beech, but guys this year is the first year he made it out of the district tourney. His best players are back next year and he will not leave. Besides, his "day job" at Beech is a little more to his liking than what he would have in Metro. Troy Bond loses A LOT of players at Wilson Central (I think maybe 8 or 9). He could handle the type of kids he would have at Antioch and probably do well. However, he is a homer in Wilson County and not in Davidson. Troy Allen would be a great choice at Antioch.....if he was serious about wanting the job which I doubt. He is in a MUCH weaker district from top to bottom. 12AAA is a dog fight every night.

Here is the final say for now...The Pearl job will be decided before Antioch. It is really not the job everyone wants or it used to be. I believe it will be Haywood. The Antioch job will be decided in an office at 3150 McGavock Pike. Goldbolt, if you think he doesn't have that much say so in this, then you are the one needing therapy. All I can say is, whoever wants that job better get over there and start smoozing now. I know at least two candidates that have already made that trip. Shadow, try to keep your posse under wraps. Take two aspirins and call the DR. in the morning. Let the debate continue. :lol: