bad calls can cost you the game

lineit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't spent the time to read all of these posts except for the first page and I'm here to tell you that bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME!!! Maybe you should have hit the ball better and scored more runs and you wouldn't have to worry about ONE bad call. I'm sorrie folks for the loss but one call does not cost you a game. It may seem like it at the time but it's just part of the game. Why were runners on first and third?? Maybe you should pitch better or play better defense to keep the runners off base and that situation wouldn't have happened you ever thought of that?? prolly not cuz ur to caught up in crying about a call. Just Shutup and get over it. Bad calls are part of the game if you want to avoid losing a close game and blaming it on the umpire then don't play close games, win big and get yourself out of those situations

I haven't spent the time to read all of these posts except for the first page and I'm here to tell you that bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME!!!  Maybe you should have hit the ball better and scored more runs and you wouldn't have to worry about ONE bad call.  I'm sorrie folks for the loss but one call does not cost you a game.  It may seem like it at the time but it's just part of the game.  Why were runners on first and third?? Maybe you should pitch better or play better defense to keep the runners off base and that situation wouldn't have happened you ever thought of that?? prolly not cuz ur to caught up in crying about a call.  Just Shutup and get over it.  Bad calls are part of the game if you want to avoid losing a close game and blaming it on the umpire then don't play close games, win big and get yourself out of those situations

825647310[/snapback]

Maybe you should have read the whole post. Then you would know that you can't beat a dead horse into the ground.

I haven't spent the time to read all of these posts except for the first page and I'm here to tell you that bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME!!!  Maybe you should have hit the ball better and scored more runs and you wouldn't have to worry about ONE bad call.  I'm sorrie folks for the loss but one call does not cost you a game.  It may seem like it at the time but it's just part of the game.  Why were runners on first and third?? Maybe you should pitch better or play better defense to keep the runners off base and that situation wouldn't have happened you ever thought of that?? prolly not cuz ur to caught up in crying about a call.  Just Shutup and get over it.  Bad calls are part of the game if you want to avoid losing a close game and blaming it on the umpire then don't play close games, win big and get yourself out of those situations

825647310[/snapback]

The umps did change the tempo of the game and it was a semi deciding factor, from what I understand. I’m sure both teams played their best and did make some mistakes but, don't tell people to shut up when they are voicing their opinions. There are no right or wrong opinions and everyone makes a mistake (regarding to umps, everyone misses a call). Don't get hostile and argue your opinion, simply voice it and let that be that. No one on here has been that rude yet and it's sad to see it is coming to that. Calm down pedo_29, take a breather and jump back in...it's just an opinion.

I usually try not to get caught up in the talk on CoachT, but this thread has really gotten a little out of hand. As the assistant coach at Shelbyville, we (Coach Morey and I) try very hard to teach our girls more lessons in life than just the game of softball. Yes, it was a bang-bang play and could have changed the momentum of the game, but we have other opportunities to win we just have to capitalize on them. Our talk to the girls after a game like that is absolutely not blaming the umpires (maybe between us we talk about the calls but not to our players), it has more to do with the things that we can control. No matter what the umpires call that is something we cannot control. Focus on the things about the game that we can control. I think the world of alot of the umpires that have been around us, and know that no one is perfect. It does hurt cause the girls work very hard, but we just keep on a workin!!!!! Coffee County is a hard working team also and is well coached and we always enjoy being around them win or lose!!

I'm not taking either side because as a coach I have won & lost games by a bad/missed call. The close ones could be a coin toss as to the correct call. But, sometimes there are obvious calls that either shows bias to one team or lack of knowledge of the game. The last two should be reported to TSSAA, the UIC, or who ever is over the umps. I beleive most umps try to do their best, be as fair as possible, and enjoy being in the game. Then you have a few that are in it just for the extra money and wants the game to end as quickly as it can so they can leave. This goes for all sports. I refereed soccer for ten years and figured out the purpose of the officials. They are the sacrificial goat for everyone to hate so the fans don't kill each other. :lol:

I usually try not to get caught up in the talk on CoachT, but this thread has really gotten a little out of hand.  As the assistant coach at Shelbyville, we (Coach Morey and I) try very hard to teach our girls more lessons in life than just the game of softball.  Yes, it was a bang-bang play and could have changed the momentum of the game, but we have other opportunities to win we just have to capitalize on them.  Our talk to the girls after a game like that is absolutely not blaming the umpires (maybe between us we talk about the calls but not to our players), it has more to do with the things that we can control.  No matter what the umpires call that is something we cannot control.  Focus on the things about the game that we can control.  I think the world of alot of the umpires that have been around us, and know that no one is perfect.  It does hurt cause the girls work very hard, but we just keep on a workin!!!!!  Coffee County is a hard working team also and is well coached and we always enjoy being around them win or lose!!

825647407[/snapback]

VERY WELL SAID!!! Now Coach I do wish everyone else would see that!!!! FOCUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER!!!!

This will be my last post on this thread. Thank you for the applause. Everyone who has posted here saying one call can not beat you has brought up the same thing - "if". "If Shelbyville had run the bases better, if Shelbyville had played better defense, if Shelbyville had pitched better, if this & if that". I don't believe in the "ifs". The girls played the game the way they played it. Look at the game the way it was played. Now change the call to the correct call. Shelbyville wins 2-1.

It's true Shelbyville could have still won the game with the bad call "if" certain other things had happened. But they shouldn't have had to. They played well enough to win if the correct call had been made.

For those of you who think one call doesn't beat you, that's you're opinion. I do not agree with it. Let's just agree to disagree and let that be it.

Also, to pedo_29, what is the purpose of your post? Do you think that telling us bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME is going to change our minds? Oh, wait a minute, pedo_29 said bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME, so I must be wrong about it. I'm glad you straightened us out. What would we have done without your post? Get real. Didn't your parents teach you it's not polite to tell people to shut up? Especially when you have no clue what you are talking about?

Wow, pedo_29 has just saved our season. He has told us the secret to winning. Don't play in close games. Win big. It's that easy. I wish we had known that sooner.

This will be my last post on this thread. Thank you for the applause. Everyone who has posted here saying one call can not beat you has brought up the same thing - "if". "If Shelbyville had run the bases better, if Shelbyville had played better defense, if Shelbyville had pitched better, if this & if that". I don't believe in the "ifs". The girls played the game the way they played it. Look at the game the way it was played. Now change the call to the correct call. Shelbyville wins 2-1.

It's true Shelbyville could have still won the game with the bad call "if" certain other things had happened. But they shouldn't have had to. They played well enough to win if the correct call had been made.

For those of you who think one call doesn't beat you, that's you're opinion. I do not agree with it. Let's just agree to disagree and let that be it.

Also, to pedo_29, what is the purpose of your post? Do you think that telling us bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME is going to change our minds? Oh, wait a minute, pedo_29 said bad calls DO NOT COST YOU THE GAME, so I must be wrong about it. I'm glad you straightened us out. What would we have done without your post? Get real. Didn't your parents teach you it's not polite to tell people to shut up? Especially when you have no clue what you are talking about?

Wow, pedo_29 has just saved our season. He has told us the secret to winning. Don't play in close games. Win big. It's that easy. I wish we had known that sooner.

825647847[/snapback]

Well you better find some secret if you wanna beat coffee when it comes tourney time.

Everyone has made good points about umpires & calls. Did it cost you the game or not?? We could argue forever about Umpires & JUDGEMENT calls. You will notice that I stressed JUDGEMENT. That is exactly what this call was. It wasn't a matter of correct rule....it was a judgement call. This means his opinion. Which by reading this thread everyone has different opinions!! My husband & I both umpire softball (mostly around the Cookeville area) but I have seen Coffee Co. play & they have a great team as does Shelbyville I'm sure(they always have great group of girls). I have played in games where a call does change the pace but you can't entirely blame the umpire(don't get me wrong I have seen some umpires that can't seem to make a right call). Was he consistently making bad calls or was it this one call that everyone noticed? I remember before I decided to be an Umpire...I thought (setting in the stands) I can do this! It is a different world once you step on the field. You have to make sure you can see the play, watch the ball, watch the runners on all bases & help the plate umpire watch stuff....The plate umpire has to watch everything from behind a mask & heavy equipment. So really think about what they have to do. It's easy setting in the stands & saying"I can see it from here!". It's not an easy job if it was everyone would be umpires. I have missed calls...every umpire has missed calls...even the best. We still have some of the best Umpires (that I have seen) in TSSAA. They love the game & the majority of them aren't just there for the "extra money". I wish both teams the best of luck. When you meet again...maybe things will be different.

Edited by Turnadouble