Monday Night Football

I guess since no one has posted a thread on it yet is enough to answer my question, but does anyone care that ABC basically let MNF go and that it is going to ESPN? Will the NBC Sunday Night Football game now take the place of MNF as the big primetime game of the week? Where should Madden and Michaels go? Do you care?

I guess since no one has posted a thread on it yet is enough to answer my question, but does anyone care that ABC basically let MNF go and that it is going to ESPN?  Will the NBC Sunday Night Football game now take the place of MNF as the big primetime game of the week?  Where should Madden and Michaels go?  Do you care?

825652816[/snapback]

Madden and Micheals will probably be on ESPN. I hate that NBC got the Sunday night game cause IMO NBC does a horrible job covering sports. I don't mind MNF moving to ESPN because I have cable but for people who are unable to get cable I don't think they will like it too much.

ABC didn't really let MNF go to ESPN they really just moved it to ESPN as ABC owns the ESPN Networks. The way I understand it if you don't have ESPN and live in the area where the game is you will be able to see it on your local ABC station. So if the Titans play on MNF and you don't have ESPN you should be able to see the game on channel 2 in Nashville.

Let's face it. MNF hasn't been the same heralded sports masterpiece it once was. Back in it's infancy, Howard, Frank and Don were the quintessential parts of an odd array of personalities that somehow made it click. They were ahead of their time. Howard's half time highlights were expertly done. Nothing like it before had ever been tried. There was more info about NFL football on Monday nights than there were all week. People would wait till MNF to get the latest standings about the teams at halftime. At work, people across the nation would talk about the game all day Monday and have pools for the game also. Personalities with flare, detailed inside information and a party atmosphere gave MNF the early lead for sports entertainment. But, as in everything else today, time has caught up with it. ESPN has saturated the market with so much video and information, including outrageous personalities that MNF has faded to the background. Nobody will miss MNF more than I. MNF on ESPN won't be the same. It's not that it's so great now, just that I watch it with memories of great years gone by. So, as Don would say, "Turn out the Lights, the Party's Over". This gig is over and thanks ABC for the many years of entertainment. :rolleyes:

I agree with Gerry Bertier...NBC does do a HORRIBLE job covering sports. Remember their horrendous coverage of the Olympics a couple years ago? Sheesh. That was awful. What I remember most the last time they had NFL was that they were the ONLY network that didn't keep the score in the corner during the game. Only showed it when going to commercials. Ridiculous.

But next year, I bet they assemble an all-new all-star team to take over the Sunday night gig....I'm curious how it will all turn out. The most exciting thing for me is the earlier start times......

Ten years ago the move of MNF to ESPN would've been major....nowadays, almost everyone has cable or satellite, and like someone said, anyone who is a fan of sports or MNF, will already have ESPN....

I agree with Gerry Bertier...NBC does do a HORRIBLE job covering sports. Remember their horrendous coverage of the Olympics a couple years ago? Sheesh. That was awful. What I remember most the last time they had NFL was that they were the ONLY network that didn't keep the score in the corner during the game. Only showed it when going to commercials. Ridiculous.

But next year, I bet they assemble an all-new all-star team to take over the Sunday night gig....I'm curious how it will all turn out. The most exciting thing for me is the earlier start times......

Ten years ago the move of MNF to ESPN would've been major....nowadays, almost everyone has cable or satellite, and like someone said, anyone who is a fan of sports or MNF, will already have ESPN....

825654277[/snapback]

I remember when NBC did their first NASCAR broadcast the year before it went to them and Fox exclusively. It was garbage, but it was, after all, only their first time at it. It is getting alot better now, but it'll just take a little time and patience.

I agree with ERA, it never has been the same without Howard, Dan, and Frank. Those guys couldn't stand each other, but they make it work. Al Michaels will probably move to the ESPN broadcast, because he's been with the ABC network for ever, but I look for Madden to show up on NBC or back at Fox. I don't know who NBC can get to make the game interesting, but they better get it done, or they will loose football again.

Edited by stlrcoach