SPORTSMANSHIP & ATTITUDE !

brownbomber

I was involved with a game tonight, and watched a young lady disgrace her team, her family and herself with a very poor attitude and absolutely "NO RESPECT" for any authority at all. The young lady was ejected from the game after she had been warned and given actually more chances than she deserved in the last inning with 2 outs and now she will have to miss the next 2 ballgames. What has or is happening to the youth these days. You do not hear, "Yes ma'am or "No sir" at all. This has really bothered me tonight and I just wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same down hill trends with manners. :(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the beginning of the season Unaka and a few other tri cities teams traveled to South Carolina to be in the Azalea Invitational. We whitnessed some bad behavior from one of the teams we played against but they were from another state. Ohio, I think. But that is the only bad behavior I have seen this year. It all starts with discipline. If the player (or anyone for that matter) knows they can get away with it they are, more than likely, going to do it. Too many warnings and second chances are dished out.

My question is if she had several warnings why did the coach not pull her? As far as the yes mam and sir that is smothing that bothers me too.

825657423[/snapback]

I am not sure, I wondered this myself. Not sure if she has the personality to be that aggressive and I mean this in a good way. I think this type of behavior is overlooked when the player has some ability to play and I think this is the wrong approach. It is an honor to play in organized sports and if you cannot show respect for the sport and all that is involved, then the privilege should be taken away.

I watched a coach pull her 2nd baseman a couple of years ago for throwing her glove in the dugout and the team only had nine active players so they took the out the next time that girl was up and played with two outfilders. Right or wrong I think that coach set a standard for her team to follow.

In the beginning of the season Unaka and a few other tri cities teams traveled to South Carolina to be in the Azalea Invitational. We whitnessed some bad behavior from one of the teams we played against but they were from another state. Ohio, I think. But that is the only bad behavior I have seen this year. It all starts with discipline. If the player (or anyone for that matter) knows they can get away with it they are, more than likely, going to do it. Too many warnings and second chances are dished out.

825657425[/snapback]

You are correct, and I am guilty of doing just that. Giving her to many chances before I actually did what needed to be done. I guess it is bothering me at this level because it was my first ejection. I have been umpiring for several years and have never seen anyone act this way.

Our college team works on the philosophy of "Respecting the Game". If you throw a helmet, talk to an umpire, fail to touch the grass on a ground ball, or fail to run to second base on a fly ball (when there is not a previous baserunner in your way) then you are on the bench. We are a baseball team, but our softball team works on the same philosophy (except that they have to touch first base on a hit ball). This is part of the reason that it won't be such a big change for me to officially move to the softball coaching staff after my senior season, except that I expect to see a lot less players removed from the game for these reasons.

I have noticed some players with bad attitudes have parents in the crowd with the same personality. We had a few in a crowd from a visiting team tell their pitcher to hit a ball player while pitching. I have also seen some pretty bad sportsmanship in other ways. While running bases, the runners throw elbows into the backs of the defensive players on base. I know you win a game with many tactics, but I'd rather lose by playing honest.

I have noticed some players with bad attitudes have parents in the crowd with the same personality. We had a few in a crowd from a visiting team tell their pitcher to hit a ball player while pitching. I have also seen some pretty bad sportsmanship in other ways. While running bases, the runners throw elbows into the backs of the defensive players on base. I know you win a game with many tactics, but I'd rather lose by playing honest.

825657492[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. I would also rather lose by playing honest. I have also seen pitchers hit a batter just because they either didn't like that person or just to be doing it. I don't like that. And as bad as I hate to say it I also have seen a Parent tell there kid to do something if it takes them getting on base. So it goes back to what you said the attitudes that these kids have come by sometimes goes to the parent. When a coach see's that these kids are acting like this sit them down and show them that they can be replaced. You have good players sitting down that would love a chance to be out there playing.

This is a problem with society as a whole, not just sports.

Our children are taught to win at any cost. Coaches are pressured to win by parents, administration and the community. If a coach pulls a good starting player because that player acted badly and the team loose, then most coaches are going to be ridiculed.

90% of our children will not play college level sports and even a larger percentage will not play professional sports. We (parents, coaches, fans, administration) need to help our young players learn to play hard, but realize it’s only a game and ball will not last forever.

All children need limits. If they’re not taught at an early age, they will learn a harder lesson later in life.

Young players…

If your team looses…

If you strikeout…

If you make an error…

If an ump makes a bad call…

:( It’s no big deal, keep you heads up and keep playing hard.

Just my 2 cents…

This is a problem with society as a whole, not just sports.

Our children are taught to win at any cost.  Coaches are pressured to win by parents, administration and the community.  If a coach pulls a good starting player because that player acted badly and the team loose, then most coaches are going to be ridiculed.

90% of our children will not play college level sports and even a larger percentage will not play professional sports.  We (parents, coaches, fans, administration) need to help our young players learn to play hard, but realize it’s only a game and ball will not last forever.

All children need limits.  If they’re not taught at an early age, they will learn a harder lesson later in life.

Young players…

If your team looses…

If you strikeout…

If you make an error…

If an ump makes a bad call…

:( It’s no big deal, keep you heads up and keep playing hard.

Just my 2 cents…

825657534[/snapback]

I agree completely. I think you have hit the nail on the head. We put so much on our kids to win that it takes the fun out of the game, and this is all it is "A GAME". As you stated to the young players, life is going to hand you strikeouts, errors, and we all have made a bad call in something that we have tried and in doing so this should build character and teach you to pick yourself up and try harder the next time.

I agree completely.  I think you have hit the nail on the head.  We put so much on our kids to win that it takes the fun out of the game, and this is all it is "A GAME".  As you stated to the young players, life is going to hand you strikeouts, errors, and we all have made a bad call in something that we have tried and in doing so this should build character and teach you to pick yourself up and try harder the next time.

825657583[/snapback]

AGREE........... I know that I as a parent do put alot on my daugther to play hard and do her best and if she does that then that is all I can ask for.