Brainerd, Its Amazing

clevelandguy

It's amazing they are only going to hire a minority. I don't blame them for wanting to find a minority to head up their program, I think it would be great. However, they have several qualified applicants who just happen to be white, and they are only considering minorities. They offered it the first time to an assistant who has never been a coordinator, the second to a middle school coach, and the third to a guy who has never even coached HS or college football. Its amazing to me. I guess Coach High don't want his basketball program to be overshadowed. What are you guys thoughts?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing they are only going to hire a minority.  I don't blame them for wanting to find a minority to head up their program, I think it would be great.  However, they have several qualified applicants who just happen to be white, and they are only considering minorities.  They offered it the first time to an assistant who has never been a coordinator, the second to a middle school coach, and the third to a guy who has never even coached HS or college football.  Its amazing to me.  I guess Coach High don't want his basketball program to be overshadowed.  What are you guys thoughts?

825657938[/snapback]

Why in the world would you offer a head coaching position to a guy who doesn't coach football???????????

It's amazing they are only going to hire a minority.  I don't blame them for wanting to find a minority to head up their program, I think it would be great.  However, they have several qualified applicants who just happen to be white, and they are only considering minorities.  They offered it the first time to an assistant who has never been a coordinator, the second to a middle school coach, and the third to a guy who has never even coached HS or college football.  Its amazing to me.  I guess Coach High don't want his basketball program to be overshadowed.  What are you guys thoughts?

825657938[/snapback]

Where's the ACLU on this one? :D

825657938[/snapback]

Let me qualify my comments right up front by saying I have coached football in the worst schools in Metro. A white man can be succesful as a head coach or assistant coach in an inner city school. I can't for the life of me understand why the administration at BHS is limiting their search to just minority coaches? What you need is someone who knows the game, knows how to coach kids and manage a program. The worst thing they can do is give it to someone who doesn't have these characteristics just because he is a minority with a teaching certificate in some narrow field of study.

Coach Eddie Lambert is a coaching legend in TN. His teams didn't always win every game but they lost or won with class and to have the administration bring in anyone who will not have a chance at success is ludicrous! Whoever is running the show down there had better wake up and throw out the color bars on the door of the school. I will say it plainly, be color blind and let the best man (black, white, or whatever) get the job.

Don't let Coach High run the school and doom the football program to failure. Let the kids play ball and hire the best man for the job, not the only black man left in Chattanooga with a teaching licsence who once watched a football game. This should not be a black or white issue, it should be given to a man who is sincere and really wants to help kids! If he happens to be African-American, great. If not, give him the job.

Edited by caesar

Hey I am just as confused as the rest of you. I use to go there and even played there. I hope they make a decision that is best for the kids and not the basketball program. Isn't it the AD's job to make sure that ALL his sports teams are good not just the one he coaches, if he coaches a team. :D Now for all this talk about the minority situation, I know a lot about this program, in more ways than one. I can tell you that color is not a factor. Hey as long as Hamilton County will not pay their teacher then programs like Brainerd will suffer. I will bet some good money that the next coach at BHS will be from within, WHY you say?

1. The B, BHS stands for BANDsketball

2. If you can't keep the cancer out (volunteer coaches that are sort of clueless), program will continue going down.

3. If a coach is not able to bring in his, His, HIS own staff.

4. As long as the AD can keep all teaching spots locked up....

After all of that I still love my school.....I just hope they get it together.

Hey I am just as confused as the rest of you.  I use to go there and even played there.  I hope they make a decision that is best for the kids and not the basketball program. Isn't it the AD's job to make sure that ALL his sports teams are good not just the one he coaches, if he coaches a team. :D  Now for all this talk about the minority situation, I know a lot about this program, in more ways than one.  I can tell you that color is not a factor.  Hey as long as Hamilton County will not pay their teacher then programs like Brainerd will suffer.  I will bet some good money that the next coach at BHS will be from within, WHY you say?

1.  The B, BHS stands for BANDsketball

2.  If you can't keep the cancer out (volunteer coaches that are sort of clueless), program will continue going down.

3. If a coach is not able to bring in his, His, HIS own staff.

4.  As long as the AD can keep all teaching spots locked up....

After all of that I still love my school.....I just hope they get it together.

825657983[/snapback]

The right coach can win at Brainerd!

He will have to know how to "play the game" in Hamilton County but it can happen.

You are right about the VOL. AST coaches. He will have to bring in one or two of his own to turn it all around.

The band is great, BBALL is always good, why not let the football team do their thing and do it well?

Caesar: You are as delicate as a bull in a china closet with your words!  :D

825657982[/snapback]

Coach, I ain't got a dog in this hunt so why should I care! I call it like I see it.

The best coaches at minority schools in Metro-Nashville with a couple of notable exceptions have been white. I'm not suggesting that they were good because they were white but I am saying a white coach can coach a minority team, have success, and be well liked by the community. I've always been for affirmative action when it made sense but if you have four or five good white coaches with head coaching experience who are willing to sacrifice their time and sweat to go into this community and work with these under privileged kids, then why wouldn't you jump at the chance to let them have the job? It is just plain stupid not to do it! It is just as bad as those old boys years ago who used to think a minority coach couldn't be a head coach of a primarily white football team. The same stupid logic prevails again, only in reverse.

If I were about ten years younger, I'd go down to C-Town and take the program myself but I've put in my time and its time for someone else to do the job.

Very well put Caesar, I have coached in high minority programs my whole career and have had nothing but success, as a matter of fact I still keep in touch with many of the athletes, many of whom went on to play college ball and now a few in the NFL and I'm only 29. I would love to have the opportunity to go to Chatt town and take on that program. I hope they will do what is right for the kids.

Let me give my opinion.Brainerd is nota school full of under privileged kids. I think they are just trying to get a guy that can really get to these kids on more of a personal level than a football level. No I don't think it is a minority only job but you will never see a minority at Central,Red Bank, Soddy Daisy and so on. That is not to say those are white only jobs, just is not happening. To keep things real there was a Newspaper article a few years ago that there were not any Black coaches being developed in the Chattanooga area. Tyner has Crews and Stewart, McCallie has 2 Coach Troy and one more. LFO has one Central had 1. Brainerd and Howard are the only other places that has black coaches. When jobs come up their names never come up. Why? Troy is a great Coach. Sometimes it is not about football it is about the kids life. Plus the school has NO job openings. All the old coaches are still there. For the kids sake I pray the right man gets the job, I think it is a good thing so many white coaches are interested. Bless all that applied.

Let me give my opinion.Brainerd is nota school full of under privileged kids. I think they are just trying to get a guy that can really get to these kids on more of a personal level than a football level. No I don't think it is a minority only job but you will never see a minority at Central,Red Bank, Soddy Daisy and so on. That is not to say those are white only jobs, just is not happening. To keep things real there was a Newspaper article a few years ago that there were not any Black coaches being developed in the Chattanooga area. Tyner has Crews and Stewart, McCallie has 2 Coach Troy and one more. LFO has one Central had 1. Brainerd and Howard are the only other places that has black coaches. When jobs come up their names never come up. Why? Troy is a great Coach. Sometimes it is not about football it is about the kids life. Plus the school has NO job openings. All the old coaches are still there. For the kids sake I pray the right man gets the job, I think it is a good thing so many white coaches are interested. Bless all that applied.

825658401[/snapback]

...Very good post "ramtrain"...I hi-lited a question you asked...I hope a new coach is hired with excellent qualities!!!