Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was definately exaggerated in Alcoa's favor in '76. Lavelle, Simonic, Rhino, and Love were all bigger than any of Maryville's O-lineman.

825719003[/snapback]

This debate could go on forever (needlessly) unless you were on the field (and I was) you don't really know.........there is a distinct difference in a "program" and a team. Maryville began to put a true system together, Alcoa is finally getting with the program (I played there, my brother played there and various kin) just ask any former Tornadoe (especially about Maryville game prep that never materialized gamenight)-It's a different type of program!

Agreed on the program. Alcoa was bigger upfront in '76 is all I'm saying. I can also think of some years when Upton and Mitch were there, that they were very big too.

825719145[/snapback]

:lol: yeah I do too...I also remember the media hype then as well...funny it was so easy to get Todd off his feet (I did almost every practice)

Oh yea did you noticed that we won the ships with our smaller quicker teams?

Please there is a difference between a team that has stars that play both ways and have legit backups and a team that is 1 deep at key positions...Maryville has always fielded larger teams.  And the size disparity is so exaggerated, besides DeHart had to pound with a juiced up Spradlin up the middle all night...

825718977[/snapback]

I blocked Spradlin most of that night. Lavelle played right tackle and blocked Mark Tally.

:lol: yeah I do too...I also remember the media hype then as well...funny it was so easy to get Todd off his feet (I did almost every practice)

Oh yea did you noticed that we won the ships with our smaller quicker teams?

825719151[/snapback]

You failed to mention that you guys also played in a smaller clasification than the teams before you. You chose to move to A and play smaller schools. We voted to stay in AA.

The 76 team went 8-3 and won the Clinton bowl playing in AA. We lost to Maryville 21-7 and had three muffed punts that Maryville recovered inside our 20. We lost to Rule 7-6 in a mud pit at Alcoa. We were the only team playing that night (everyone else rained out). We got beat by Cleveland 28-27 in triple overtime. Both the Rule and Cleveland game were lost due to snapping errors. Maryville was lost due to punt fielding errors.

Alcoa's graduating class of '77 had 90 students. The entire school had right at 300.

You failed to mention that you guys also played in a smaller clasification than the teams before you. You chose to move to A and play smaller schools. We voted to stay in AA.

The 76 team went 8-3 and won the Clinton bowl playing in AA. We lost to Maryville 21-7 and had three muffed punts that Maryville recovered inside our 20. We lost to Rule 7-6 in a mud pit at Alcoa. We were the only team playing that night (everyone else rained out). We got beat by Cleveland 28-27 in triple overtime. Both the Rule and Cleveland game were lost due to snapping errors. Maryville was lost due to punt fielding errors.

Alcoa's graduating class of '77 had 90 students. The entire school had right at 300.

825719196[/snapback]

You have your facts down....hmmmmm I notice that you speak in the first person yet your handle is rebelsman (why)

825719196[/snapback]

Oh yeah that team should have gone undefeated.........by the way we are agreeing on the same things here

Oh yeah that team should have gone undefeated.........by the way we are agreeing on the same things here

825719227[/snapback]

I'm not arguing, just stating facts. My wife went to and taught at Maryville. I live in Maryville. My kids went and go to Maryville. My oldest son was a basketball player at Maryville when I joined CoachT 3 years ago. I spent a lot of time talking Maryville basketball (thus Rebelsman). Over the years I have lost touch with many of the current Alcoa people (Logan is the only one I know). I stay in touch with my old friends.