CaNyOuTaKeIt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saddaddy Posted Today, 08:21 AM

QUOTE(ImaOWL @ May 12 2005 - 08:59 AM)

Why didn't Bump play Beau?

He did not do anything wrong. He was given the night off. I know you usually do not get the district championship off, but, RB did have to win 2 to be the champions. Both teams had already advanced to Monday's region play. Bump wanted to get some younger kids in a pressure situation so they can remember what it is like for the future. The fresh. behind the plate (Craig Barker) did a great job. He also reached base both at bats. Some people probably think Bumper is crazy, and sometimes, he may actually be. But playing young players last night for experience was not too crazy.

If the above is true, that's just about the dumbest thing I think I've heard a coach do in quite a while. You gave your JUNIOR catcher the night off so a FRESHMAN can play and for the experience? The next time the FRESHMAN catcher will play is 2 years after Beau graduates!!!

That explanation doesn't pass the smell test boys!

If the above is true, that's just about the dumbest thing I think I've heard a coach do in quite a while.  You gave your JUNIOR catcher the night off so a FRESHMAN can play and for the experience?  The next time the FRESHMAN catcher will play is 2 years after Beau graduates!!!

That explanation doesn't pass the smell test boys!

825671909[/snapback]

I'm surprised he didn't activate the Red Bank Middle team. They need the experience too. I don't know if the TSSAA has any regulations against throwing a district tournament game. If they don't they ought to. Props to the Owls for actually fielding a lineup as if the game meant something, because it did.

Well I can't say I understand the decision, but I'm not going to second guess Bumper either.  He's a great coach and unless I was on the inner circle and knew exactly what he was doing, I wouldn't comment.

825671924[/snapback]

I dont know about an inner circle, but I do know this. His best pitchers were not hurt, and they were expecting to pitch. Some of his best hitters, like Geren and Henry were not hurt, and they were expecting to play. Others were asked if they wanted the night off, and they insisted on playing. To me a great coach puts his best players on the field for an important game. That did not happen on Wed. night, and I think we can all agree on that! I dont even think Ooltewah expected to play a Red Bank b-team.

This whole situation does smell fishy......but I do have a hard time second-guessing a guy like bumper reese. He knows what he is doing and he may think that his team is better off with the older players resting for a tough upcoming region opener. This could compare to Hixson and Marion tossing their aces in the district title game.....we will see which of the two strategies worked better some time next week I guess.....

dnasty Posted Today, 02:52 PM

This whole situation does smell fishy......but I do have a hard time second-guessing a guy like bumper reese. He knows what he is doing and he may think that his team is better off with the older players resting for a tough upcoming region opener.

Region opener??? Right now, for this first game, it's one and done. You lose this first game and you go home.

You don't want your regular starters to see more GAME pitching? You don't want your whole team playing together? You're resting them? For what, if you lose your next one you're finished!

I still don't get it and CoachT is the exact right forum for second guessing.

This whole situation does smell fishy......but I do have a hard time second-guessing a guy like bumper reese. He knows what he is doing and he may think that his team is better off with the older players resting for a tough upcoming region opener. This could compare to Hixson and Marion tossing their aces in the district title game.....we will see which of the two strategies worked better some time next week I guess.....

825672063[/snapback]

I really dont think there's anything fishy, just some weird coaching strategy. I don't think "older" players like Henry and Geren (11th grade) needed five days rest between at bats. And I don't think the ace pitcher Siltz, who pitched only 2 or 3 innings on Saturday, needs 9 days rest between starts. Apparently, he just wanted to get it over with, giving his team no chance to actually play for the title, and play their region games at home. As for the coach knowing what he is doing, how many region tournament games has he won, and how many state tournaments has he taken his team to? Oh well, if parents and players put up with it, they get what they deserve. I guess getting embarassed by Ooltewah is just another day for Red Bank, so why waste any effort on it? I guess nobody told Soddy a few weeks ago that they couldn't beat Ooltewah. All of you fans of Red Bank's coach can jump and cheer for him, I'm just stating facts.

ImaOWL Posted Today, 03:47 PM

Red Bank only had 1 starter in the field that didn't play and that is Beau. Your DH was also different but that was the only changes he made. Its not like he pulled a Hixson and changed the whole starting lineup.

broadbat Posted Today, 03:12 PM

QUOTE(dnasty @ May 12 2005 - 02:52 PM)

I really dont think there's anything fishy, just some weird coaching strategy. I don't think "older" players like Henry and Geren (11th grade) needed five days rest between at bats. And I don't think the ace pitcher Siltz, who pitched only 2 or 3 innings on Saturday, needs 9 days rest between starts. Apparently, he just wanted to get it over with, giving his team no chance to actually play for the title, and play their region games at home.

What Hixson did was to make a point and maybe improve some attitudes and it certainly wasn't done during a District Tournament final. I just think it kind of looks really bad for the Red Bank team to LAY DOWN like they did.

In addition, Red Bank doesn't get a Region home game unless they win their first!

Edited by catsbackr

Y'all can argue this from now until Monday, but that's in the past. And looking to the future, Red Bank is in good position to do what Soddy did last year. Sneak up on the district champs and head west. Don't say it can't be done. Red Bank is on a mission!