Controversy in 3-AAA

HTV

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if that is what happened this is correct

McGavock lost a state title because of this rule, Mel Brown self reported the mistake back in the 80's

825667854[/snapback]

Are you sure Mel Brown self-reported it? I heard that it was blamed on the team's bookkeeper.

Edited by curious70

All i am saying is do you honestly think that Karns (who i know we just lost to but that was a terrible game that we played), Clinton, or Cambell County could beat Halls? They would still make the District championship even without this win.

825667898[/snapback]

All it would take is one slip up for Halls.....just like yall slipped up against Karns...

Did Coach Froning just not realize it or what....

TSSAA website directly states, and i quote, "If a player pitched at all in any inning, the inning shall count as one full inning pitched."  Therefore, Nichols's "3 1/3" innings yesterday equal 4 innings, and his "6 1/3" today equal 7, for a total of 11 illegal innings.  The same rule also states at the bottom in bold-faced font that the rule shall apply "IN ALL REGULAR SEASON PLAY AND ALL TOURNAMENTS."

Rules are rules, Oak Ridge should lose by forfeiture.

825667853[/snapback]

Incorrect...not 11 illegal innings...1 illegal inning! :ph34r:

Mean Gene from the TSSAA will make a decision early Monday, but it looks like the game will be forfeited.

Coach Froning made no excuses, he got caught up in the moment and once he realized his mistake, took the illegal player out. According to the rules, that is what is supposed to happen.

It's not clear if a forfeit is the punishment for this, but the six innings Oak Ridge played legally, will be null and void.

In other matters such as this, the TSSAA has indeed called for the forfeit. It isn't known, if those situations saw the coach see their error and pull the player, or continue through the rest of the game with the illegal player.

It's a shame ... but rules are rules.

has any one heard the outcome yet?

825667992[/snapback]

Josh, I heard today that the outcome has been decided, but it has to be confirmed on Monday through the TSSAA office when it opens for business. It seems pretty cut and dried, according to the rule book. Intentional or not, the rule was violated and the penalty calls for forfeiture of the game.