Froning to resign?

catpack

okay this is stupid. im sure if we would have through the d train that many innings no one would be on here saying let the kids decide it. and im sure everyone talks like if the rule would not have been over turned that halls would not have won the tournament anyway. get real we are 30-1 and my hats off to oak ridge they played one heck of a game. you all act like we are no good but that is fine cause no one gives us any respect anyway so we are going to earn it on the field. i fill so bad for coach froning because he is a great guy and just made a bad mistake. i hope he does not resign because in my opinion he is one of the better coaches around here. it is not like he is blessed with that great of talent. i also am sorry that the oak ridge seniors season had to end like that. and if the coach would have known the rule and not protested that would not be fair to the halls fans, and players. do you think that any other coach would not have done the same thing because say what you want you know they would. my hat is off to coach polston for doing the right thing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly,

How many pitches would you allow a high school player to throw?  If it's anywhere over 110-120, you shouldn't be a coach.  The pitcher obviously doesn't have proper control and needs to be relieved anyway.  Froning has consistently allowed players to throw 150-200 pitches on consecutive days.  This is inexcusable from a former AA (?) pitcher who is a math teacher and should be able to count how many innings a pitcher throws a pitch (4 from the night before and 7 that day).  That equals 11, which is greater than 10, which is in violation of the rules, which he knew, since he was informed the inning before by others.  Caught up in the moment...yeah right.  This is unacceptable behavior from someone in a AAA class school.  The Halls coach used the tools available to him, which is a credit to him.  Froning did not, which is a discredit to him.  Too bad the players have to put up with this nonsense.  Another question...where was the parent of the young man who threw that many pitches?  Don't they care enough about their child to protect him from the "Coach"?  What a joke!!!

825670085[/snapback]

My general rule of thumb on pitch counts has always been:

11-12 years old: 70-80

13 years old: 75-85

14-15 years old: 90-100

Like I said, I have never coached high school ball, but I cannot imagine lett ing a high school picther under normal circumastances throwing more tahn 100-110 pitches. Arm health has always been an issue to me, as all four of my sons were pitchers.

That being said, the above pitch counts are my general rule of thumb. Fewer pitches in cool weather, maybe a few more (5-10) if I had a strong pitcher and i was trying to close out an inning. You can always recover from a lost game, but arm injuries sometimes linger forever.

I agree with you that a cocah at any level should protect his picthers. Innings pitched is not always an indicator of number or pitches thrown. I do not know how many picthes this particular pitcher had thrown. I never intended for anyone to take my post out of context and assume I meant for anyone to assume I am defending the coach in question- I'm just not ready to crucify him.

As far as parents go, most are clueless. They have no idea about pitch counts, no idea about arm healt, no clue about anything. As long as little Johnny (or big JOhnny) is the winning pitcher, most don't give a crap until something goes wrong. I have seen parents that allowed their 12 year-old pitchers to throw 150-160 pitches just because the thought of seeing another kid on the mound in a win burns their very soul.

This has been an interesting discussion and I agree with most posts including arm health, Polston doing the right thing and Froning admitting guilt. Should Froning resign? he won't, but Oak Ridge does need a new direction. Since the Sharpes' brought Froning to Oak Ridge to coddle little Donnie Oak Ridge baseball has been mediocre at best.

oh by the way catback in the light if these questions I would think that the CHARACTER of the OR coachs actions should be in question more so that Halls coach. OR DO YOU APPROVE OF FRONINGS ACTIONS maybe OR fans need an obligation to approve of such actions and /or character. :lol:

The players played there hearts out and win only to have their coach blow it period.

GOOD SEASON OAK RIDGE TEAM!!!!!! thumb 

YOU DESERVED BETTER FROM YOUR COACH ACTIONS and CHOICES!!!!!

825669632[/snapback]

Oak Ridge did have a good season and in more than a couple peoples opinions the best coach in the district, possibly the region. I have no doubt that he is one of the best in the region. Jason Nichols did pitch a good number of pitches but he wouldve told Coach Froning if he needed to get out. Jason also can handle throwing that many pitches. Later in the game he shut Halls down better than ever. He pitched that good after throwing that many pitches. Halls just cant take the loss. Froning will not resign because their is no reason. He wont get fired either because the only way he could get fired is if Jason's parents complained about throwing him too many pitches. I dont think that they will do that. Jason shut down Halls thats all it is.

Oak Ridge did have a good season and in more than a couple peoples opinions the best coach in the district, possibly the region.  I have no doubt that he is one of the best in the region.  Jason Nichols did pitch a good number of pitches but he wouldve told Coach Froning if he needed to get out.  Jason also can handle throwing that many pitches.  Later in the game he shut Halls down better than ever.  He pitched that good after throwing that many pitches.  Halls just cant take the loss.  Froning will not resign because their is no reason.  He wont get fired either because the only way he could get fired is if Jason's parents complained about throwing him too many pitches.  I dont think that they will do that.  Jason shut down Halls thats all it is.

825670682[/snapback]

He can be fired if the school board chooses to do so. It doesn't take parents complaining to oust a coach.

Here is some food for thought..... The way I look at this is that Oak Ridge used an ineligible player. And YES he was INELIGIBLE to pitch because he had already pitched 10 innings which is the limit for 2 consecutive days. Now, let me give an example and see some responses to this scenario..... Let's say Halls and Oak Ridge are playing football and Halls uses a player for just 1 quarter and he is not an eligible player. Do you think Oak Ridges coach or coaches would protest the game if they wound up losing by a field goal? My answer would be YES they MOST definitely would. And what is the punishment for using an INELIGIBLE player? It's called a FORFEIT. If you don't believe me, ask Larry Kerr up at Anderson County. End of story so stop crying like babies.

Edited by reddevilfever

Here is some food for thought..... The way I look at this is that Oak Ridge used an ineligible player. And YES he was INELIGIBLE to pitch because he had already pitched 10 innings which is the limit for 2 consecutive days. Now, let me give an example and see some responses to this scenario..... Let's say Halls and Oak Ridge are playing football and Halls uses a player for just 1 quarter and he is not an eligible player. Do you think Oak Ridges coach or coaches would protest the game if they wound up losing by a field goal? My answer would be YES they MOST definitely would. And what is the punishment for using an INELIGIBLE player? It's called a FORFEIT. If you don't believe me, ask Larry Kerr up at Anderson County. End of story so stop crying like babies.

look, yall got beat! thats all there is to it. we couldve taken jason out before the 7th and still would have beat yall. im not saying that yall stink, cause yall are one of the best teams that i have ever faced, but yall stunk that game. i dont know what it was but yall were'nt the same halls team we played during the season. and neither was oak ridge. we just wanted it more. and dont be talking about football cause if halls was to play us, the game would not be decided by a field goal. we would slaughter them and you know it. so if you are going to use another sport, use basketball. there the games are close

Sneakypete nice post: High School baseball is about the kids/players it is a sad day when any team plays so well, against one of the best teams in the nation, upsetting them and getting the death penalty for a coaches fops. Indeed an error was made and the rule is a very important one. But does the penalty fit the crime? I don't feel it does. Their should be a punishment for the coach who broke the rule. The Oak Ridge players deserve another game whither they playback to the inning where the rule violation started or add a losers bracket game to give the players another opportunity they deserve.

It's for the kids!

825669537[/snapback]

Yea it for the kids but any coach would do it to win a big game. That what the rules states.

look, yall got beat! thats all there is to it. we couldve taken jason out before the 7th and still would have beat yall. im not saying that yall stink, cause yall are one of the best teams that i have ever faced, but yall stunk that game. i dont know what it was but yall were'nt the same halls team we played during the season. and neither was oak ridge. we just wanted it more. and dont be talking about football cause if halls was to play us, the game would not be decided by a field goal. we would slaughter them and you know it. so if you are going to use another sport, use basketball. there the games are close

825671480[/snapback]

Well I would say you would probably be correct in the football game. But lemme throw you against lets say ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm RIVERDALE? Would you protest that game if they used an ineligible player? And as far as Halls stinking???? 4-2 is not exactly a stinking kind of game is it? Stinking would be like 13-0 or sumtin like that. Or maybe stinking is having a record of 16-16? I hardly think a record of 31-1 could be considered a stinking team. That would constitute a #1 ranking in just about every state across America. PERIOD!!!!!! Now quit whining and figure out a way to beat DB and Riverdale this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oak Ridge did have a good season and in more than a couple peoples opinions the best coach in the district, possibly the region.  I have no doubt that he is one of the best in the region.  Jason Nichols did pitch a good number of pitches but he wouldve told Coach Froning if he needed to get out.  Jason also can handle throwing that many pitches.  Later in the game he shut Halls down better than ever.  He pitched that good after throwing that many pitches.  Halls just cant take the loss.  Froning will not resign because their is no reason.  He wont get fired either because the only way he could get fired is if Jason's parents complained about throwing him too many pitches.  I dont think that they will do that.  Jason shut down Halls thats all it is.

825670682[/snapback]

I have sat here and read these opinions and some of you people are idiots. I was a high school coach and coached against coach Fronig. He is a class act. Coach Polston is to. Coach Froning made a mistake. Coach Polston called his hand on it which any coach who cares about his team would. I don't know who the idiot talking about little Donnie is but sounds like to me a bitter explayer who was not good enough to play. Maybe the kid did throw to many pitches and more than likely in the back of his mind coach Fronig knew but don't judge until you have walked in a mans shoes. A chance to beat possibly the best team in the state. I'm not sure many of you have ever delt with the TSSAA much but some of there rules are basically not baseball. A third of an inning is not a complete inning no matter what the TSSAA says. I don't care who won the game, I don't like either team but RESIGN!! That is stupid. Both coaches tried to do what was best for their team. And maybe if some of you ever get to the level of baseball coach Froning played at maybe you will understand coach Fronings thinking.