Rule against spirit?

msgov

Where in any rule book does it say that a team in any sport can't show their spirit by cheering, clapping, chanting. The only sports I know of that don't like noise when someone is playing is golf and tennis. If you will remember the U.S. Open a few years ago in New York, people complained about the "rowdy" fans.

What in the name of hominy grits is wrong with high school players cheering their teammates on. Oh, I know, it's because it hasn't been done that way before. For my 2 cents worth, I say let them cheer and show their spirit and pride. NOW, if they are insulting a player from another team, now that gets into disrespect.

Doug Polston is class through and through. He knows the rules like the back of his hand. He had every right to protest the game. What would happen if he came out to protest and then his team made a comeback and won the game outright. Nothing, the protest would have been null and void. But he does have the right to protest. No different than a police officer giving you a ticket for speeding and you going to court to challenge the ticket. You have every right. E.O.D.

:D:);)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about?

825669300[/snapback]

He's talking about the (Knox) Halls High School baseball team clapping and being into the game this way while they're batting. In another thread a bunch of people are talking about how it's girlish and classless and it should stay in softball.

Where in any rule book does it say that a team in any sport can't show their spirit by cheering, clapping, chanting.  The only sports I know of that don't like noise when someone is playing is golf and tennis.  If you will remember the U.S. Open a few years ago in New York, people complained about the "rowdy" fans. 

What in the name of hominy grits is wrong with high school players cheering their teammates on.  Oh, I know, it's because it hasn't been done that way before.  For my 2 cents worth, I say let them cheer and show their spirit and pride.  NOW, if they are insulting a player from another team, now that gets into disrespect. 

Doug Polston is class through and through.  He knows the rules like the back of his hand.  He had every right to protest the game.  What would happen if he came out to protest and then his team made a comeback and won the game outright.  Nothing, the protest would have been null and void.  But he does have the right to protest.  No different than a police officer giving you a ticket for speeding and you going to court to challenge the ticket.  You have every right.  E.O.D.

<_<  B)  B)

825669293[/snapback]

I don't think you can protest over clapping or not clapping. Protests are for rules violations. Such as player being wrongfully called out for throwing a bat. Judgements such as a team is too loud is just that, a judgement. Maybe the ump thought that the team was taunting. Don't know, wasn't there.

Anyone remember the Angels and their thunder sticks?

Halls went down to Chattavegas and beat an exceptional Ooltewah team.

825669688[/snapback]

I agree....the "few" comment was supposed to be sarcastic. They've won a ton of games and if they want to clap and hoop and holler, then they should. It's doing what they want it to and getting in your head!

bigbadblue, aren't you from Cleveland? If so, please post the score tonight ASAP! Thanks!

Personally, I think that chanting is pretty bush league and more suitable to a girls' softball team. Or a cheerleading camp. It's annoying.

But it ain't against the rules, as far as I can tell. And if some teams like to do it, well, that's just their approach to the game. If you wanna make it go away, then beat 'em.

One thing, though--if your team is a chanting team, and the fans of the other team start chanting back sarcastically (for example, you're chanting "Rip..Rip..Rip" and when a batter makes an out, the fans start chanting "Drip..Drip..Drip" or some such) you gotta accept it as fair returns.

Even more important, if the fans of one team start chanting a player's name, like "Benjie, Benjie, Benjie," it's not right to take it personally and feel like they're insulting your monkey.

LCborn,

You are right, no where in the rules does it say you can't chant. Why do you call it bush league? I think the reason is because you probably weren't allowed to do that when you played. My hubbie told me when he played football in high school, they couldn't drink water during practice. My point is this, times change, people change. What if Farragut, Collierville, Clarkesville High, and other top ranked teams from the state all make it to the show in Memphis and they all clap, chant, whatever (as long as it's not directed toward an individual player on the opposing team). Soon it would become the norm instead of the exception.

Sports should be FUN. Let the kids have fun! Nothing wrong with spirit being shown - just don't allow a team to single out an opposing player - limit their spirit to their own players.

As you can tell by my moniker, I'm just a cranky old hag that loves to see kids have fun show their spirit and win.

;)

Edited by msgov

LCborn,

You are right, no where in the rules does it say you can chant.  Why do you call it bush league?  I think the reason is because you probably weren't allowed to do that when you played.  My hubbie told me when he played football in high school, they couldn't drink water during practice.  My point is this, times change, people change. What if Farragut, Collierville, Clarkesville High, and other top ranked teams from the state all make it to the show in Memphis and they all clap, chant, whatever (as long as it's not directed toward an individual player on the opposing team).  Soon it would become the norm instead of the exception.

Sports should be FUN.  Let the kids have fun!  Nothing wrong with spirit being shown - just don't allow a team to single out an opposing player - limit their spirit to their own players.

As you can tell by my moniker, I'm just a cranky old hag that loves to see kids have fun show their spirit and win.

B)

825671476[/snapback]

Well said. thumb

Personally, I think that chanting is pretty bush league and more suitable to a girls' softball team. Or a cheerleading camp. It's annoying.

Ha!...a girls softball team?...dude give me a break, if nobody cheered or "chanted", half the fun of baseball would be lost...maybe its not accepted where your from but it pumps the players up soo much and its a great way to keep the momentum of a game in your favor...