Brentwood vs MaGavock

chsfan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Poor coaching by Brentwood by thinking they had this game in the bag. They started their no. 3 pitcher...and eventually put in their no 2 pitcher and watched her give up 6 runs in the last inning. Two dropped fly balls didnt help either, but I guess they are saving their no. 1 pitcher for next year."

First, you said it was poor coaching that caused Brentwood to get beat because they started who you referred to as "their number 3 pitcher." Then, you said the second pitcher Brentwood brought into the game "gave up 6 runs in the last inning." Then finally, you went on to say that BHS dropped two fly balls (in the last inning).

You mean to tell me that an 8-3 lead going into the 7th inning was caused by "poor coaching" and a pitcher "giving up 6 runs"?? It seems to me as though it was errors that changed the outcome of this game. So please, before talking about a pitcher "giving up" any number of runs to lose a game, let's first make sure we know how many were in fact given up by the pitcher--vs. how many were allowed by defensive errors. Because this game was not lost by a pitcher.

Oh, and BigChief, I LOVE your signature. It reminds me of a certain person at MJHS.

I've been watching their 3 pithchers for a couple of years now.  They seem pretty equal.  Just from the Centennial games I saw this year, none of the 3 were more successful than the others.  Who are the No 3 and 2 you are referring to?

825674893[/snapback]

I agree. I dont think there is an ace on Brentwoods team either. It really depends on who is on. The coach did not start the number three pitcher, Harmon started. She is a good pitcher as is Mashburn. I have seen them all be equally successful and unsuccessful at times. Brentwoods strength this year has always been the combination of the three, not just one pitcher. I cant really say one has been favored more than another for the more difficult games either. It is too bad they lost they are a good team. One of the best in the state.

"Poor coaching by Brentwood by thinking they had this game in the bag. They started their no. 3 pitcher...and eventually put in their no 2 pitcher and watched her give up 6 runs in the last inning. Two dropped fly balls didnt help either, but I guess they are saving their no. 1 pitcher for next year."

First, you said it was poor coaching that caused Brentwood to get beat because they started who you referred to as "their number 3 pitcher."  Then, you said the second pitcher Brentwood brought into the game "gave up 6 runs in the last inning."  Then finally, you went on to say that BHS dropped two fly balls (in the last inning).

You mean to tell me that an 8-3 lead going into the 7th inning was caused by "poor coaching" and a pitcher "giving up 6 runs"??  It seems to me as though it was errors that changed the outcome of this game.  So please, before talking about a pitcher "giving up" any number of runs to lose a game, let's first make sure we know how many were in fact given up by the pitcher--vs. how many were allowed by defensive errors.  Because this game was not lost by a pitcher.

Oh, and BigChief, I LOVE your signature.  It reminds me of a certain person at MJHS.

825675191[/snapback]

That is exactly where the idea came from.

First, you said it was poor coaching that caused Brentwood to get beat because they started who you referred to as "their number 3 pitcher."  Then, you said the second pitcher Brentwood brought into the game "gave up 6 runs in the last inning."  Then finally, you went on to say that BHS dropped two fly balls (in the last inning).

You mean to tell me that an 8-3 lead going into the 7th inning was caused by "poor coaching" and a pitcher "giving up 6 runs"??  It seems to me as though it was errors that changed the outcome of this game.  So please, before talking about a pitcher "giving up" any number of runs to lose a game, let's first make sure we know how many were in fact given up by the pitcher--vs. how many were allowed by defensive errors.  Because this game was not lost by a pitcher.

Oh, and BigChief, I LOVE your signature.  It reminds me of a certain person at MJHS.

825675191[/snapback]

If a pitcher gives up 6 runs in the last inning, you would of at least thought the coach would of made a substitution somewhere with their no. 1 pitcher still left to use....one of the dropped fly balls was made by the pitcher..and after that her head was clearly not in the game. She gave up 5 other hits and a walk in the inning... the other fly ball was from an unfortunate collision by two players....the poor coaching comes from why do you let your best pitcher not pitch in a game when the other team scores 9 runs?...by them not pitching her, it gave a clear indication that they thought they had the game won from the beginning and they were gonna save her for wednesday.

I agree. I dont think there is an ace on Brentwoods team either. It really depends on who is on. The coach did not start the number three pitcher, Harmon started. She is a good pitcher as is Mashburn. I have seen them all be equally successful and unsuccessful at times.  Brentwoods strength this year has always been the combination of the three, not just one pitcher. I cant really say one has been favored more than another for the more difficult games either. It is too bad they lost they are a good team. One of the best in the state.

825675328[/snapback]

The last month of the season, it was clear that Lott was no. 1, and mashburn was no. 2, with harmon being no. 3...Lott and mashburn pitched all the games against the tougher teams....there strength was using a combination of the three, so why didnt they use the third combination when the other two were having an off day?

NO ONE, is sadder than my family that we lost yesterday. Hopefully, we will use this as a learning experience for the future. We all have a long, long time to relive this game. Too long! AHHH...And an even longer time before we can experience redemption. It is what it is. Words will not change it. I think the team will carry plenty of motivation into next year!! But, I certainly don't have to wait until next year or second guess my opinion of the coaches.....they are the best out there. There record stands tall above the rest. They gave every team they played all they wanted and then some!! Yesterday was just not ours....that's why the games are played....nothing is impossible.....But I believe in this TEAM and the COACHES. Ben and Jamie, hats off to you all, you have had a good year! I hate the upset yesterday like everything, but BHS will be back in contention for the next several years to come. And I even believe before it is all said and done, there will be a championship ring in your future. And to the rest of you out there....talk it up, take your shots, thats part of it too! You all will still enjoy watching them play next year, because good teams with good coaches are always fun to watch. Best of luck to all the remaining teams! Hope everyone plays hard and good luck on your summer teams!

The last month of the season, it was clear that Lott was no. 1, and mashburn was no. 2, with harmon being no. 3...Lott and mashburn pitched all the games against the tougher teams....there strength was using a combination of the three, so why didnt they use the third combination when the other two were having an off day?

825675422[/snapback]

Ever heard hind sight is always 20/20. It takes a good 15-20 min. at least to warm up a pitcher otherwise you risk injury to the pitcher and besides that without all of her pitches warmed up a pitcher is batting practice. Was Lott even warmed up? Riley in the past has always done a good job. All of the activity happened in one inning. Look, coaches like Brentwood's coach do a good job. They work hard for little pay and dont deserve to be let down by their fans when something like this happens. Was the coach wrong ? Probably, but Brentwood will be back next year and I am sure they will with a couple of other teams dominate.

Any given day any team can beat another. McGavock could of laid down and quit, but they never gave up and got a big win. Is having three great pitchers sometimes not a blessing? We have three pitchers on our team that can help our team win against anyone. But when it comes to the the post season as they used to say in the west " you ride the horse till it can't go no further." So we pitch our best pitcher every post season game, and she pitches the whole game. If we are up 10-0 she finishes the game. We do this because she has been there and done that, and has the maturity, experience and leadership to calm down a team if the other team starts a rally. Anyone that has been around the game knows rally is hard to stop. Being one of the pitcher's dad, i used to wonder why is she still in? Why don't we save her for another game? The answer, just look above. Brentwood's first pitcher had McGavock's number so I say they should of kept her in until she didn't have their number any longer. If this game would of worn her out, they had two other pitchers that coulda of started. Lesson learned and Brentwood will be a powerhouse for years to come. thumb

NO ONE, is sadder than my family that we lost yesterday. Hopefully, we will use this as a learning experience for the future. We all have a long, long time to relive this game. Too long! AHHH...And an even longer time before we can experience redemption. It is what it is. Words will not change it. I think the team will carry plenty of motivation into next year!! But, I certainly don't have to wait until next year or second guess my opinion of the coaches.....they are the best out there. There record stands tall above the rest. They gave every team they played all they wanted and then some!! Yesterday was just not ours....that's why the games are played....nothing is impossible.....But I believe in this TEAM and the COACHES. Ben and Jamie, hats off to you all, you have had a good year! I hate the upset yesterday like everything, but BHS will be back in contention for the next several years to come. And I even believe before it is all said and done, there will be a championship ring in your future. And to the rest of you out there....talk it up, take your shots, thats part of it too! You all will still enjoy watching them play next year, because good teams with good coaches are always fun to watch. Best of luck to all the remaining teams! Hope everyone plays hard and good luck on your summer teams!

825675548[/snapback]

I agree with you, with Ben & Jamie in the dugout BHS will always be in the hunt. We tend to forget sometimes that the girls still have to play the game, not the coaches. Again, Brentwood will be there next year and the years to come.

Good luck to Riley this summer !

Poor coaching by Brentwood by thinking they had this game in the bag. They started their no. 3 pitcher...and eventually put in their no 2 pitcher and watched her give up 6 runs in the last inning. Two dropped fly balls didnt help either, but I guess they are saving their no. 1 pitcher for next year.

825674868[/snapback]

I am writing this post in support of the many fine players on the Brentwood High team. Over the past ten years my children have played with and against many of the players on that team. I have a daughter at Brentwood who no longer plays softball, one of my personal life sad nesses, but she is still friends with several of the Bruin players. My other daughter plays first base for BA, a team from a division that Bleacher Bum rips when ever there is a Division II post. So, I will ask the same question on this post that I have asked on the most recent Division II post, who are you Bleacher Bum? A lot of people would like to know if your have the courage of your convictions, as you claim you do, to tell us who you are.

Brentwood High had a great year that probably ended too soon but they will be back and a trip to state in the future is almost a certainty! Your team is blessed with four of the best young pitchers in the state and all of them performed above reasonable expectations this season. Congratulations to the players, parents and coaches you are probably as dedicated group as any in the state. We will sincerely miss rooting for you in Memphis. Good luck next season and please do not let the negatives from one un-named person ruin a great run!

Mark Dixon