Goodpasture - Davidson Acad.

Cougars2State

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a good game by two great teams, could of went either way, probaly see each other in state. and if they did score walks as unearned, then I think it would benefit the pitcher's stats not inflate them.

2. The run is earned if:

the runner who scored had advanced to each base as a result of any of the following: hit, walk, hit by pitch, wild pitch, illegal pitch, stolen base, sacrifice bunt, sacrifice fly.

The run is unearned if:

3. the runner who scored had initially reached 1st base on an error, or defensive interference/obstruction.

4. the runner who scored, when at bat would have been out had it not been for a dropped foul ball.

5. the runner who scored had her baserunning life prolonged by an error and otherwise would have been put out had it not been for the error.

6. the runner who scored had advanced by a passed ball or defensive interference, and otherwise would not have scored.

7. When reconstructing the inning to determine which runs are earned, a relief pitcher does NOT receive the benefit of previous chances for outs for the runners she put on base.

Taken from the NFCA (national fastpitch Coaches assc.) handbook

Edited by softballscout

No,  I am not wrong! A walk is an unearned run, regardless of how it is brought in, it was still put on base as a walk (which is basically the same as being on by and error). A walk is not included in the number of at-bats for a player, so how can you score an earned run from an non at bat. For example, if a player comes up to bat 5 times and gets 2 hits and a walk, their line for that game would be 2 for 4 with a walk, not 2-5. Thats why a person reaching base on a walk is counted as an unearned run. Look it up.

825677432[/snapback]

here is one more from the baseball manual.

EARNED RUNS

10.18- An earned run is a run for which the pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs the inning should be reconstructed without the errors and passed balls, and the benefit of the doubt should always be given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play.

(a) An earned run shall be charged every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder's choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks (baseball only) or wild pitches before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance.

(I) A wild pitch is solely the pitcher's fault, and contributes to an earned run just as a balk (baseball only) or a base on balls.

(:blink: No run shall be earned when scored by a runner who reaches first base (1) on a hit or otherwise after that batter's time at bat is prolonged by a muffed foul fly; (2) because of interference or obstruction; or (3) because of any fielding error.

© No run shall be earned when scored by a runner whose life is prolonged by an error, if such runner would have been put out by errorless play.

(d) No run shall be earned when the runner's advance is aided by an error, a passed ball, or defensive interference or obstruction, if the scorer judges that the run would not have scored without the aid of such misplay.

(e) Any error by a pitcher is treated exactly the same as an error by any other fielder in computing earned runs.

(0 Whenever a fielding error occurs, the pitcher shall be given the benefit of the doubt in determining to which bases any runners would have advanced had the fielding of the defensive team been errorless.

(g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not be charged with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time the relief pitcher entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner left on base by the preceding pitcher. NOTE: It is the intent of this rule to charge each pitcher with their number of runners put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners on base and is relieved, that pitcher shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and including the number of runners left on base when said pitcher left the game, unless such runners are put out without action by the batter, i.e. caught stealing, picked off base, or called out for interference when a batter-runner does not reach first base on the play

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a discussion on earned runs. I'm by no means an expert - just a fan. If STD says it's earned, I go with him - he knows as much about softball as anyone I've ever met.

I have a feeling Goodpasture and Davidson will battle to the end in Southaven and it will be fun to watch. I hope both teams win Friday!

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a discussion on earned runs.  I'm by no means an expert - just a fan.  If STD says it's earned, I go with him - he knows as much about softball as anyone I've ever met.

I have a feeling Goodpasture and Davidson will battle to the end in Southaven and it will be fun to watch.  I hope both teams win Friday!

825677650[/snapback]

hey i didnt know for sure either, but it was fun looking em up.

Kristi & Danielle are 2 of the top pitchers to have pitched in this area. I have a good feeling that they will meet 1 more time or maybe even twice which will mean the championship game for it all. Both teams are lucky to have great coaches & best wishes to all of you making it to Mississippi.

They have had a great career & we wish both of these pitchers well at the next level.

Kristi & Danielle are 2 of the top pitchers to have pitched in this area.  I have a good feeling that they will meet 1 more time or maybe even twice which will mean the championship game for it all.  Both teams are lucky to have great coaches & best wishes to all of you making it to Mississippi. 

They have had a great career & we wish both of these pitchers well at the next level.

825677685[/snapback]

Amen...& Amen!

Now, back to arguing. B)

DA and Goodpasture will probably meet again in the losers bracket final to see who goes on to play Boyd-Buchanan in finals. haha But seriously Boyd is playing great ball right now...I think they have only allowed 2 or 3 hits all post season and none in the last 3 games. They have outscored their opponents 60-0 so far. This year they have the hitting to back up the pitching. I think it will be closer between them and Goodpasture than it has been the last 2 years.

Just to clarify, walks are never earned runs no matter how they are advanced around to score.

825677415[/snapback]

You must be the parent of a pitcher to think walks can never be considered an earned run...in the scenario presented, its an earned run....The same way as if you have 4 walks in a row, the run that scores is an earned run too....and an RBI for the batter also, even thought the batter didnt hit the ball!