AA State Tourney

Baller677

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be Lipscomb's year to regain the title. It has been a while since they won (2002). With their deep pitching staff they will have a advantage over other teams. They drew a first round game that is pretty tough with SS. Expect a Riley-Brock match-up on the mound. Don't overlook Harpeth in the top half of the bracket, I have seen them play and they are sound defensivley and also have a deep pitching staff. I would be surprise to see them make a run much like Montgomery Central last year.

Well.......predictions aren't my thing. Anything can happen according to pitching matchups and other unknowns. All you can do is prepare. In that regard, I think Harpeth has prepared to be where they are since the end of last season. They have only 2 seniors, but some experienced juniors and the deep sophomore class. They can also go about 8 or 9 deep in pitchers. Some of those guys are middle relief and closers, but it's a nice luxury to have. Coach Frasier said at the beginning of the season that they should be an honorary member of 8AAA. They played 3 or 4 of those guys in non-district games and played in 2 or 3 tournaments as well which helps with the atmosphere of do or die situations at district, region and state tournament time. I like where they are right now and how they are playing. They're used to the underdog role and thrive in that environment. Noone on this board picked them to win the district, district tournament, region or sectional. You win the games between the lines and they've done a good job of keeping focus.

Keep up the good work Indians! Your fans are hoping for a nice long stay in Memphis!

That's a nice quote from one of last year's seniors........ B)

825680024[/snapback]

Honestly I think that harpeth has hitting, pitching, and coaching I went to pretty much every home game their was and the sophomore that carried them through the season hasn't even picthed for them in the tournament yet. The other sophomore Matt Fiser who was out with a back injury for about the whole season just came back and with a force so I see harpeth going far. B)

You're welcome. Have you ever noticed that when comparing one era to the other, your era has the more dominant players and teams? I'm as guilty as the next. I've always thought the leagues, teams or players from my era were much better than the ones that followed and the ones that preceded mine were better than mine. I think that's natural. Usually, some coach or media representative that's seen it all sets the record straight as to the best 'team'. Your team won state and this year's edition did not. You've got a better leg to stand on than most......Unfortunately, your team did not compete this year, so the world may never know.

Edited by ksgovols

When talking about one era with the next, I do believe that the talent level of some teams have dropped in the past couple years. I am more referring to district 9AA. A couple years ago when I played in it I know every teams had at least one started play at the next level and most played Division 1. Most teams had more than one pitcher go on to the next level.... Fairview, Marshall, Page, and Giles I think all had 2 pitchers play at the next level. However, now I doubt the number is nearly that good. If you look at the players going on to the next level it is down drastically from 2 years ago. I think this shows the talent level has dropped. Everyone is in the rebuilding stage and I think it will get back to that level soon, maybe.