AAA state

weaveworld

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut has several players from the U18 Knoxville Fire and several from the U17 Knoxville Stars... CAK has one Fire player...don't know about the others...The Fire was the runner up last year in the state tournament to the Brentwood Rangers.

Don't know if that says anything or not, but it shows that there is some strength in middle Tennessee...The match ups in this year's high school tournament look great. Last year no one was going to beat Farragut, and the year before that it was clear that Farragut and Bearden would meet in the final, but this year there are several teams that could win it...Wish I could watch all the matches...

I have to agree that the east teams played a harder schedual than the middle teams. However, the comments about how Farragut and Bearden have done in the past are irrelevent. How many of the bearden players on the team now got any playing time three years ago when they won the state.

I have to agree that the east teams played a harder schedual than the middle teams.  However, the comments about how Farragut and Bearden have done in the past are irrelevent.  How many of the bearden players on the team now got any playing time three years ago when they won the state.

825681437[/snapback]

True, but don't forget the one thing that hasn't changed on Farragut and Bearden are the Coaches. They have been there before and have a proven record. I have to agree there is not one dominate team this year. Don't count out the teams from Memphis. They play a tuff schedule against each other in the Germantown area.

Congrats to the Ads and the Pizza kid Mr B P .

I have to agree that the east teams played a harder schedual than the middle teams.  However, the comments about how Farragut and Bearden have done in the past are irrelevent.  How many of the bearden players on the team now got any playing time three years ago when they won the state.

825681437[/snapback]

Exactly what facts to you base your opinion that the teams in the east play harder schedules? I haven't seen anybody do that yet, convincingly.

Blackman will find out how good they are when they get drilled at state. they've got a good keeper but that kid that plays up top.....with the gay head ban ....jordan i think his name is. he is definitely the weakest point of there team. who sags when they play soccer....idiot....Blaze will definitely get drilled!

Exactly what facts to you base your opinion that the teams in the east play harder schedules? I haven't seen anybody do that yet, convincingly.

825681622[/snapback]

Within a 15 mile radius you have Farragut(2003, 2004 State and National Champs), Bearden(2001,2002 State and National Champs), Oakridge(2004 State Finalist), CAK(2x State Champs), Lenoir City(State Finalist), Webb, Knox Catholic (State Qual) and a few others. These are the local teams on the schedules. These teams travel like most to take on the best. I know Farragut has played Father Ryan and Christian Brothers, Dll Qualifier and former State Champ.

Most of these teams are back in the race for State, soooo what part of tuff schedule don't you get.

Are you saying that they don't? Whats your facts?

Within a 15 mile radius you have Farragut(2003, 2004 State and National Champs), Bearden(2001,2002 State and National Champs), Oakridge(2004 State Finalist), CAK(2x State Champs), Lenoir City(State Finalist), Webb, Knox Catholic (State Qual) and a few others.  These are the local teams on the schedules.  These teams travel like most to take on the best.  I know Farragut has played Father Ryan and Christian Brothers, Dll Qualifier and former State Champ.

Most of these teams are back in the race for State, soooo what part of tuff schedule don't you get.

Are you saying that they don't?  Whats your facts?

825681662[/snapback]

You, like everybody else, base your opinion on the past but constantly like to point out that MidTN teams don't play NEAR the schedule of competition that the east does. I simply don't buy that because within a 15 mi. radius in MidTN you have Hendersonville, Brentwood, FRA, Father Ryan and others. Even though they haven't won state titles in the last 4 years, they are the top ranked teams right NOW. There IS a reason for that. The MidTn teams have traveled and played teams from the east this year, and the east, if they won at all, did not fair as well as you would expect. I am not saying that you all don't play tough competition, but stop thinking you are the only ones and will have a smooth ride to repeated state titles. Good luck starting this afternoon.

You, like everybody else, base your opinion on the past but constantly like to point out that MidTN teams don't play NEAR the schedule of competition that the east does. I simply don't buy that because within a 15 mi. radius in MidTN you have Hendersonville, Brentwood, FRA, Father Ryan and others. Even though they haven't won state titles in the last 4 years, they are the top ranked teams right NOW. There IS a reason for that. The MidTn teams have traveled and played teams from the east this year, and the east, if they won at all, did not fair as well as you would expect. I am not saying that you all don't play tough competition, but stop thinking you are the only ones and will have a smooth ride to repeated state titles. Good luck starting this afternoon.

825681710[/snapback]

I agree! I mean, if Farragut and Bearden and allll of these teams have all these past titles, then wouldn't someone DEFINATELY put them as number 1 if they thought it was well deserved? Theres a reason that they have not been number 1, because they would obviously be considered, given their past record. And how are we so sure about the tougher scheduales, if a lot of these top rank teams are in the middle? Brentwood, Hendersonville, Father Ryan, FRA, I mean, these are always top teams as well. That is the one thing that gets me, that you can all say how they have the tougher scheduale..because those teams WERE the best. Key word, WERE. Oh well, I guess it will all show today...let the games begin.

Edited by tiger09

What REALLY gets my goat, is when a MidTN teams does well or is ranked high, the comments are always "they have easy schedules," but when teams from the east (or west) struggle, they are something like, "we have a tougher schedule than anyone" or "we have back to back state championships and we'll do it again!" It really is quite comical and is pretzel logic to me. If you don't know what pretzel logic is, then look it up. I don't think ANYONE from MidTN is claiming that they will waltz through to a state championship. There are some people claiming that Hendersonville will go all the way but I doubt seriously if they are actually Hendersonville players or local fans. The ones I know of are saying things like, "we'll do well if we show up to play." I think I'm the only one from Brentwood saying anything at all and is certainly NOT, "we're gonna rule!" We hope to do well but are VERY realistic about what lies ahead.

Edited by bhs007

And how are we so sure about the tougher scheduales, if a lot of these top rank teams are in the middle? Brentwood, Hendersonville, Father Ryan, FRA, I mean, these are always top teams as well. That is the one thing that gets me, that you can all say how they have the tougher scheduale..because those teams  WERE the best. Key word, WERE.  Oh well, I guess it will all show today...let the games begin.

825681717[/snapback]

I absolutely agree that the past years' accomplishments of Bearden and Farragut won't mean anything in the 2005 tournament. You are correct the past is the past and this tournament will be won on the field starting this afternoon.

The scheduling point is brought up solely to support different posters' guesses of who the likely winner will be. It clearly won't determine anything either; however, I really can't understand why Hendersonville's and Brentwood's fans don't see the point being made. Farragut played nearly half (10 of 23) of their in- state games against THIS YEAR'S ranked teams with 5 wins and 5 losses. Its opponents are 231-122-42 combined THIS YEAR. Bearden also played 10 of 24 games against CURRENT YEAR ranked teams with a 6-3-1 record. The Bulldog's combined opponents' record THIS YEAR is even better at 244-123-55.

By contrast, in 2005 Brentwood played only 4 ranked teams out of 23 matches with a 2-2 record against ranked opponents. Their combined opponents' record is a decently strong 201-131-56. Finally, while Hendersonville clearly has a terrific team and one (and maybe two) of the top 5 players in the State, they played only 3 ranked teams THIS YEAR in their 19 in-state games and finished with a good 2-1 record. Hendersonville's 2005 opponents were a very ordinary 180-144-26. The Parkview result is VERY noteworthy, but it was still a loss.

Another example of stronger scheduling is, in my opinion, DII is the strongest soccer division in Tennessee, year in and year out. There are a number of very good DII teams in the Nashville area, yet between both Hendersonville and Brentwood they only played 1 of them--Father Ryan. Brentwood also played a second DII match against Christian Brothers. Neither team scheduled any of the other DII teams in Nashville, let alone from the West or East, and neither played the very fine A/AA FRA team, right in their own backyard. In contrast, Bearden played 5 DII teams from all three regions and finished with a very respectable 4-1 record. Farragut played 6 DII teams, again from all three regions, finishing 2-3-1. Farragut also took on a very good CAK team and beat them soundly (although they were without their top striker).

Strong regular season competition, not current rankings, assists teams in the tournament. With teams as strong as Brentwood and Hendersonville, it' difficult to understand why they don't play stronger schedules at the risk of sacrificing higher rankings and in the interest of being ready for the level of competition in the final eight.

No doubt, Brentwood could end up playing Hendersonville in the finals. Based on this season's performances; however, I think the finalists in AAA will be Farragut and Bearden.