Class AA: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

I don't see why they can't. All they do is just reload every year. They have done it every other year for the past fifteen years. They averaged like 10 wins wins a season over the past 15 years.

I'm not saying they will win the region, but I'd be willing to put a C-note down that says they will make the playoffs.

There was a reason they put in that 1.8 multiplier to bump guys like these up to 2A. Because they dominated 1A. And 1A and 2A football is not that big of a difference.

825693834[/snapback]

For all that domination in 1A I don't recall any state titles, do you?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line- USJ will get beat by Huntingdon, Milan and Westview. These boys could take on almost any team in the state, and I'm not ready to put USJ in their class. I played for 2 0-10 teams from Camden back in the late 90's and I remember playing a state runner up bound USJ team that had a lot of trouble putting us away. There's a huge difference between 1A and 2A at the top.

Edited by rcombs

That maybe true as well, but still with the way they are so well coached and fundamentally sound they will not be pushovers

825693852[/snapback]

I don't think USJ will get blown out often, if at all, as long as they don't have injury issues like they did in 2003. They're too fundamentally sound, like you and I have both said, for that to happen.

Bottom line- USJ will get beat by Huntingdon, Milan and Westview. These boys could take on almost any team in the state, and I'm not ready to put USJ in their class. I played for 2 0-10 teams from Camden back in the late 90's and I remember playing a state runner up bound USJ team that had a lot of trouble putting us away. There's a huge difference between 1A and 2A at the top.

825693988[/snapback]

I think people are assuming way too much about Milan. I look for them to be down this year. My early upset prediction for the season: USJ 21 Milan 14. Its never too early to get something started! ;)

Edited by hobock

Guest catfish-hunter

1.) Huntingdon

2.) Westview

3.) Humboldt

4.) Milan

5.) USJ

6.) Dresden

7.) Peabody

8.) Gibson Co.

The 2003 state champs (Huntingdon) will be out to prove something to all of the doubters that say they aren't even the best team in their region. Westview is loaded everywhere and I expect a quarterfinal matchup between them and Huntingdon will be a classic. All of this talk about Milan & USJ possibly being down and nobody is focusing on the team that won eight regular season games a year ago in Humboldt. I expect to see Milan and GW Carver meeting in the first round of the playoffs this year (and it will be a tough one for a Carver team that has been beaten by Milan the past two years in the postseason). USJ will not be bad, but they won't be a playoff team either. Dresden was a playoff team a year ago but this region may be a little too tough for them this year. Peabody and Gibson Co. should be looking to improve after terrible seasons a year ago.

There is a difference in 1A and 2A, especially at the top.  I feel quite confident that Huntingdon, Milan, or Westview last year would have beaten anyone in 1A, and done so fairly handily.

That said, I do think USJ has a shot to finish 4th in the region, mainly because of one thing - fundamentals.  These are some of the best-coached kids in the area.  How do you think they beat South Side and McNairy last year?  They certainly weren't more talented; they just don't make that many mistakes.

One of the problems they'll encounter, though, is the lack of "off weeks" like they've been able to get in 1A, getting to play 3-5 games per season against bad teams.  Looking at their schedule, they have one or two, maybe three like that this year.  Those lack of easy games will take a toll on them physically.

In my opinion, their key game is against Humboldt in week 8.  They win that one, they're in the playoffs.

825693842[/snapback]

I aree, injuries and the weekly physical beating they will get (win or lose) is the real challenge USJ will face this year. I dont know much about USJ's philosophy, finesse or smashmouth, but I guarantee you when they get on that bus and start home on Friday night they will know that they have not just left Greenfield,Gleason or TCA. Good execution and great coaching may be enough to get them in the playoffs though. Nothing against USJ but I do think they are in for quite an experience in 2A. Bring plenty of ice packs and bandages.

Dresden will be a better team than last year. They and Peabody will challenge for a playoff spot. Who does Humboldt have coming back besides Donald and their QB who never played a down last year?

1.) Huntingdon

2.) Westview

3.) Humboldt

4.) Milan

5.) USJ

6.) Dresden

7.) Peabody

8.) Gibson Co.

The 2003 state champs (Huntingdon) will be out to prove something to all of the doubters that say they aren't even the best team in their region.  Westview is loaded everywhere and I expect a quarterfinal matchup between them and Huntingdon will be a classic.  All of this talk about Milan & USJ possibly being down and nobody is focusing on the team that won eight regular season games a year ago in Humboldt.  I expect to see Milan and GW Carver meeting in the first round of the playoffs this year (and it will be a tough one for a Carver team that has been beaten by Milan the past two years in the postseason).  USJ will not be bad, but they won't be a playoff team either.  Dresden was a playoff team a year ago but this region may be a little too tough for them this year.  Peabody and Gibson Co. should be looking to improve after terrible seasons a year ago.

825694053[/snapback]

I aree, injuries and the weekly physical beating they will get (win or lose) is the real challenge USJ will face this year.  I dont know much about USJ's philosophy, finesse or smashmouth, but I guarantee you when they get on that bus and start home on Friday night they will know that they have not just left Greenfield,Gleason or TCA. Good execution and great coaching may be enough to get them in the playoffs though.  Nothing against USJ but I do think they are in for quite an experience in 2A.  Bring plenty of ice packs and bandages.

825694199[/snapback]

Has anyone gone back 5-6 years and checked USJ's schedule/record against 2A and 3A teams? They've played a few and, with the exception of year before last's blow-out loss to Southside, held their own.

IMO, this year's USJ team will be the weakest team we've fielded in several years. It will be hard to win in 7-AA with a Soph QB that very little experience. But, I still predict a Playoff birth. A lot of young Bruins will be on the field this year and will learn a lot. Look out for the Bruins in '06.

Has anyone gone back 5-6 years and checked USJ's schedule/record against 2A and 3A teams? They've played a few and, with the exception of year before last's blow-out loss to Southside, held their own.

IMO, this year's USJ team will be the weakest team we've fielded in several years. It will be hard to win in 7-AA with a Soph QB that very little experience. But, I still predict a Playoff birth. A lot of young Bruins will be on the field this year and will learn a lot. Look out for the Bruins in '06.

825694230[/snapback]

USJ has done very well playing up against 2A and 3A teams the last few years. But the difference is they don't have to play teams of that quality or better nearly every week. Physically, that will take a toll on them. Weeks 7-10 (Westview, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Dresden) will be unlike any stretch of games they've played in quite some time.

Those USJ rich boys will get more than they bargained for of them poor rednecks from region 72a. They dont play finesse ball its smashmouth dare you to stop me up the middle football. D-fense is relentless and bonecrushing in region 72a and I hope them boys got a good trainer with this schedule. USJ will take more than enough lumps this year but will eventually settle in. Though they better realize even though they played a couple 2a teams they play almost all 2a teams this year so they better step it up.

USJ has done very well playing up against 2A and 3A teams the last few years.  But the difference is they don't have to play teams of that quality or better nearly every week.  Physically, that will take a toll on them.  Weeks 7-10 (Westview, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Dresden) will be unlike any stretch of games they've played in quite some time.

825694273[/snapback]

That's just brutal. Oh, wait, the rest of has HAVE been doing it for years.