What has happened, Part II

Earlier I made a statement that it looked like a down year for Tennessee Girl's AAU basketball, but I promised to wait until the end to make a final judgment. Please, someone give us a final tally on the Tennessee teams at the "AAU National Tournaments." And if you can give it like this......1st, 2nd, 3rd, tied for fifth, tied for ninth, etc., etc. or, didn't qualify for the main bracket, but attended. Don't need what they did in the YBOA, which at times can be just another invitational tournament. Don't need how teams faired in a super duper regional in Boise, Idaho. Don't need how teams did in the NASSTT, or the NABBCD, or the NATITT, or any other nationals, just the AAU Nationals. Don't need how teams faired in the Class B, Class C, Class D, etc. of the AAU. Don't want to hear about sandbaggers that went to a lower class just so they could do well, faired. After we get this list maybe we can determine what went wrong. My guess is that too many Tennessee teams or at the Nationals. Maybe if we only had 3 in each classification we wouldn't have the teams so watered down. Comments please.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier I made a statement that it looked like a down year for Tennessee Girl's AAU basketball, but I promised to wait until the end to make a final judgment.  Please, someone give us a final tally on the Tennessee teams at the "AAU National Tournaments."  And if you can give it like this......1st, 2nd, 3rd, tied for fifth, tied for ninth, etc., etc.  or, didn't qualify for the main bracket, but attended.  Don't need what they did in the YBOA, which at times can be just another invitational tournament.  Don't need how teams faired in a super duper regional in Boise, Idaho.  Don't need how teams did in the NASSTT, or the NABBCD, or the NATITT, or any other nationals, just the AAU Nationals.  Don't need how teams faired in the Class B, Class C, Class D, etc. of the AAU.  Don't want to hear about sandbaggers that went to a lower class just so they could do well, faired.  After we get this list maybe we can determine what went wrong.  My guess is that too many Tennessee teams or at the Nationals.  Maybe if we only had 3 in each classification we wouldn't have the teams so watered down.  Comments please.

825702174[/snapback]

The 14U and 15U AAU Nationals do not begin until this week-end.

Super duper Pitino....it sounds like you already know what happened, just want to hear someone get on her and say how bad Tennessee did. Well, I think the Flight was the best from Tennessee and they got beat in the round of 16. The Wings got beat in the round of 32.

Oh great Pitino, do you need anything else. I noticed you never could cut it with the Celtics, why couldn't you hang another banner in Boston? Something must be wrong with you! :lol:

Super duper Pitino....it sounds like you already know what happened, just want to hear someone get on her and say how bad Tennessee did.  Well, I think the Flight was the best from Tennessee and they got beat in the round of 16.  The Wings got beat in the round of 32.

Oh great Pitino, do you need anything else.  I noticed you never could cut it with the Celtics, why couldn't you hang another banner in Boston?  Something must be wrong with you! :lol:

825702195[/snapback]

But we had some really good Celtic Teams. Ok so I jumped the gun. The 14s and 15s start this weekend. How many teams will represent Tennessee in each age bracket, 8 or 9? Use to you would have 3 or 4 really good teams and they would pick up the best of the rest and we would kick butt at the Nationals.

But we had some really good Celtic Teams.  Ok so I jumped the gun.  The 14s and 15s start this weekend.  How many teams will represent Tennessee in each age bracket, 8 or 9?  Use to you would have 3 or 4 really good teams and they would pick up the best of the rest and we would kick butt at the Nationals.

825702211[/snapback]

Why so many questions, when you have all the answers????? :lol:

But we had some really good Celtic Teams.  Ok so I jumped the gun.  The 14s and 15s start this weekend.  How many teams will represent Tennessee in each age bracket, 8 or 9?  Use to you would have 3 or 4 really good teams and they would pick up the best of the rest and we would kick butt at the Nationals.

825702211[/snapback]

I believe there are 4 14U Tennessee teams going to Virginia

1st in state Tennessee Team Pride

2nd. Knoxville's finest

Music City Magic

Tennessee Elite

Edited by dkoons52

It all depends on the reason you are going to Nationals. For instance, if you want a Tennessee team to be the WINNER, go with fewer teams. If you want more players to have the opportunity to be seen, go with more teams.

Personally, I want more young ladies to have the opportunity to be seen. The best players will still be there, but the college coaches will decide who will best fit their programs.

It all depends on the reason you are going to Nationals.  For instance, if you want a Tennessee team to be the WINNER, go with fewer teams.  If you want more players to have the opportunity to be seen, go with more teams. 

Personally, I want more young ladies to have the opportunity to be seen.  The best players will still be there, but the college coaches will decide who will best fit their programs.

825702329[/snapback]

For the young ladies to be seen they should make it to the big bracket. Most coaches don't even show up until then. When is the last time you saw Gino or Pat at the consolation tournament. Fewer teams, more chance for a winner and be seen.

For the young ladies to be seen they should make it to the big bracket.  Most coaches don't even show up until then.  When is the last time you saw Gino or Pat at the consolation tournament.  Fewer teams, more chance for a winner and be seen.

825702392[/snapback]

Wrong Pitino. College scouts come mostly to pool play and most are gone by the time teams get very deep into bracket play. Their reason is that during pool play, they can more easily follow the schedule to get around and see a bunch of kids that they have been tracking and corresponding with for a few minutes each. A prospect does not have to be on the best team, she just needs to be on a team that is good enough to qualify to be at D1 Nationals. Also, it obviously raises the prospects chances to be seen if she is on a team that has several other prospects so that a scout can see several at once or come to see one and get surprised by another. But, if she is good enough, she will certainly be scouted even if her team is one that would fall into the Classic bracket after pool play. Once the prospect is a rising high school Junior, she really starts to get on the radar screen. If her game supports it, she certainly could sign a major D1 scholarship and not even play AAU her 16yr old yr as many teams opt to only do exposure tourneys. We've got several girls here in West TN that have already been offered by SEC and other D1 schools that are not playing AAU as 16 yr olds but instead have been going to exposure tourneys. However, all those girls played AAU and made it to D1 nationals in past years and are able to tout that on their athletic resume. Bottom line is that if you are good enough, they will come to see you. You can help your chances some by making sure you are on a team that makes it to D1 nationals in the years leading up to your Junior year in high school.

Edited by hoopsinstead

Wrong Pitino. College scouts come mostly to pool play and most are gone by the time teams get very deep into bracket play. Their reason is that during pool play, they can more easily follow the schedule to get around and see a bunch of kids that they have been tracking and corresponding with for a few minutes each. A prospect does not have to be on the best team, she just needs to be on a team that is good enough to qualify to be at D1 Nationals.

I heard the same from a coach and former player.

As an example, Diana Taurasi played for a team that never did play well in the national tournament. Talented kids will be seen or talked about.