D/B Faithful

crystal5puppy

We all know about the great tradition and success that D/B has in the region. Why do they consistently fall short of the prize? I would love to hear the honest thoughts of the D/B faithful on this topic. I saw D/B play 5-6 times (Oak Ridge and Karns) over the past 3 years, and they are never short on talent. What did strike me is that they struggle with a physical brand of football. That was never more apparent then in their loss to a Karns team that was seriously undermanned. Karns won by running it down D/B's throat, and laying back on defense while D/B threw underneath and coming up and being physical with the D/B backs and receivers. Oak Ridge beats them the same way. Is D/B more of a finesse team and does that limit them come playoff time?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go ahead and state that DB does in no way struggle with physical football... Now I'll agree that the physical edge has been somewhat gone the past two years... however the Karns game 2 years ago was a classic example of a team overlooking another team and getting brought down to earth..... what beat DB that night? You say it was Karns running it down there throats.... that had something to do with it... but they did not start this until they got momentum... and they got this momentum by taking advantage of turnovers (many made by an excellent player who was having a bad night due to illness).... now from that day on I have given Karns all the props I could for that game.... but in no way does that make me think that this particular DB team struggled when playing physical football. Infact the fullback from that year was one of the most physical players I have ever seen... Chase Flanery, ask anybody who played against him and they will tell you how hard he was to bring down and how hard he hit you on isolations and other blocks....

The other thing I don't understand is it says "Limit them come playoff time".... does this mean ONLY allowing them to make it to the quarterfinals and semifinals? Cause I know most teams just wish they could even make it to one of these games not to mention year in year out like DB does.... Sure they haven't won a state championship in the playoff system but if you keep getting this far then one year the bounce is gonna go your way...

Nothing goes wrong, 5A playoffs happen. Unlike it is in 4A-1A when week 2 of the 5A playoffs hit you are usually playing teams with the same talent as you. Year to year OR has the same talent as DB, and Riverdale usually has a little more. When you are 1 of 8 very talented teams things just have to fall into place, or you just have exceptional talent like Riverdale last year. Even when you have the best talent you don`t always win, Lincoln Co in 2003 comes to mind. The bottom line is winning a state championship in 5A is VERY hard to do, because a lot of factors play into it. Just having the home field for the semi final game makes a big difference.

Nothing goes wrong, 5A playoffs happen. Unlike it is in 4A-1A when week 2 of the 5A playoffs hit you are usually playing teams with the same talent as you. Year to year OR has the same talent as DB, and Riverdale usually has a little more. When you are 1 of 8 very talented teams things just have to fall into place, or you just have exceptional talent like Riverdale last year. Even when you have the best talent you don`t always win, Lincoln Co in 2003 comes to mind. The bottom line is winning a state championship in 5A is VERY hard to do, because a lot of factors play into it. Just having the home field for the semi final game makes a big difference.

825702679[/snapback]

Winning a state championship at any level is hard to do. It is obvious that 5A is the hardest, it is the biggest, so of course it is going to be the hardest. When the schools are that big, it isn't hard to find talent.

The thread titled Tennessee Trivia is loaded with DB history. I had no idea DB had so many championships handed to them by voting. The playoffs haven't been so kind.

So, this year is actually a step backward. DB won't see Riverdale. They will loose to Oak Ridge twice.

Huge money spent spent by the old DB dreamers isn't getting them anywhere. If only they could buy a vote!

825703088[/snapback]

If only you were not another jealous hater of DB! If only you would admit the team you support as we have all asked for the past month or two. Nobody likes you, go away.

PS..... and it shows how smart you must be if you actually believe DB expects immediate results out of their new field house. Over time, it will pay off. Tell us your team now before you go trying to bash other peoples teams.

Edited by bud

OK, after doing some reading, 03 is either an Elizabethton or TN High fan. And remind me again how being a fan of one of those schools makes you feel superior enough to constantly knock DB? Let us hear your thinking on this. I bet you just quit posting again, as you usually do when called out. Until next time.......

OK, after doing some reading, 03 is either an Elizabethton or TN High fan.  And remind me again how being a fan of one of those schools makes you feel superior enough to constantly knock DB?  Let us hear your thinking on this.  I bet you just quit posting again, as you usually do when called out.  Until next time.......

825703096[/snapback]

Hey Bud, 03 has been a Betsy supporter, but is not from here. As far as knocking DB, maybe it can be done on the field, but not on here. Hang in there because there is always someone after us all. :lol:

Ok. Calm down. You're long rants about DB's long ago glory are truely interesting.

825703108[/snapback]

Long ago glory??? You make it sound like db goes 5-5 every year and talks about the days when they used to make it to the playoffs.... nope the case is DB is still the all-time winningest program in the state of Tennessee and keeps adding to it every year, while they continue to dominate their conference, and as I said earlier making it to the quaterfinals and semifinals.... Hey 3, when was the last time your team made it that far.... thats what I thought man.... your a joke and so is whatever team you pull for...