Oak Ridge Football

youthfootballfan0123

I read an article online today that said OR is gonig to the air this year. What a genius Stevens is, he's got possibly the best running back in school history and this guy wants to air it out. Don't make excuses saying keeping defenses honest, last year everyone knew Gulmire was going to be getting the ball and they still couldn't stop him. With him you should run, run, run...Just curious on thoughts on this article from the O.R. faithful

Trying to remember, but doesn't OR have some real play-makers at WR? Don't they have Coffey and another really explosive receiver? If you don't get these guys involved in the offense it would be a mistake.

Riverdale's running game is much more effective because they have the threat of going deep, in the flats to a fast WR, or to the TE/FB. They only do it 10-12 times a game but you always have to keep those guys covered. I've always felt that Riverdale could get quite bit more from their offense by being even more balanced.

I'm guessing that balance is what Stevens is alluding to. Balanced teams that can run or pass effectively are always the hardest to defend.

Now, if you guys do decide not to fully utilize Spencer, can we have him? :lol:

Trying to remember, but doesn't OR have some real play-makers at WR?  Don't they have Coffey and another really explosive receiver?  If you don't get these guys involved in the offense it would be a mistake.

Riverdale's running game is much more effective because they have the threat of going deep, in the flats to a fast WR, or to the TE/FB.  They only do it 10-12 times a game but you always have to keep those guys covered. I've always felt that Riverdale could get quite bit more from their offense by being even more balanced.

I'm guessing that balance is what Stevens is alluding to.  Balanced teams that can run or pass effectively are always the hardest to defend.

Now, if you guys do decide not to fully utilize Spencer, can we have him?  :angry:

825703720[/snapback]

Ha ha ha... not a chance. I believe you are speaking of J.J. Wells (the other receiver).

Let us not forget that Stevens won a state championship at AE by throwing the ball. Trust me, Stevens knows what he is doing. If teams are going to play 8 or 9 in the box and blitz to stop Gulmire, then they will get hurt with the pass. Then when teams have to back off and play two deep in the secondary Gulmire will have much more room to operate. In addition, if Gulmire's carries decrease in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters, he will be fresher and more of a threat late in the game. Don't think for one minute Stevens doesn't know what he has in Gulmire.

Balance is the name of the game offensively. Make them defend the entire field. And don't forget you can use the pass to set up the run as easily as the other way around. I agree with the other poster. Coach Stevens knows what he is doing.

I saw every game Oak Ridge played last year. The majority of the teams they played they could have drawn the play in the dirt right in front of the defensive huddle gone back to the line of scrimmage and ran the play with success. The fact is we have been to the gate of the championship game the last two years. If we had beat Riverdalwe two years ago it would have been a fluke , luck or whatever. They Fumbled the ball when all they had to do was hang on to it. Real fans know that. I am not even gonna think about the time for two plays inside the ten we could have had and throw an int. on the first play with two of the best running backs in the state standing behind the QB. I said I wasnt gonna think about but I did.

Last year was a different story. Riverdale is a powerhouse that has a coach that thinks faster than the clock runs. They had lady luck in their pocket and with their talented squad spelled disaster.

Now to the topic. There were three series in the last half when Riverdale sent the house at Mcmahon. If our recievers were comfortable catching the ball we should have made them pay as well as anyone that stacks the line because OR has been close to a 90/10 rushing team. There needs to be a relationship and confidence between QB a receiver that is comfortable if that happens and I think Stevens understands this and thats why your hearing the talk about OR passing more this year.

It is going to be an exciting year and Coach Stevens and his staff have my confidence.

Personally I think the peeps that are whining are the ones that really wanted Gaddis back.

Get behind the staff and players and support the CATS they deserve that until proven otherwise