Ooltewah vs. Cookeville

ImaOWL

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home. This was a hard fought game. Tough to see someone lose this game. It was exactly what I thought it would be... very close.

Ooltewah 28 -- Cookeville 21 (OT)

Interesting game. Ooltewah was the stronger team for the first 1 1/2 quarters, but after that it was Cookeville who took it to Ooltewah. Unfortunately they dug themselves a 21-6 hole before they got going at all.

Ooltewah was the stronger team on the ground... I think they almost had two runners over 100 yds. and had the advantage 289-182 in rushing yards. Cookeville absolutely dominated the passing game 206-21 in total passing yards.

It appeared to me that Cookeville was in better condition. Ooltewah's players were falling like flies in the second half due to dehydration and cramps. Ooltewah looked gassed in the second half, while Cookeville took advantage of a Gaston fumble and some very untimely penalties on Ooltewah's part.

Both teams were a little sloppy but that should be expected for the first game of the season. Both teams and their fans should be very proud of the effort. Great game to everyone!!!!

Ooltewah did look fairly gassed but prolly had more to do with playing about the same 12-14 players all night long both ways then being out of shape. Thing that impressed me most about this game was Everyone in the stadium knew Ooltewah was gonna hand off the ball to caldwell almost every play and did and Cookville couldn't do anything about it even knowing it was coming. I get the feeling we will be hearing alot of Brian Marshall this year too he is tough to bring down and lightning fast. Ooltewah is gonna have to at least act like they wanna pass a few times a game to keep opponents defenses honest. About 2 deep completions and this game would have gotten out of hand but reason it stayed close is Cookeville could stack the line of scrimmage to stop the run (however, stopping the run meant holding Caldwell to about 8 yards a carry and Gaston to about 5.) But great game on both teams part.

Cookeville had to dominate time of possession and in the end they outgained Ooltewah by about 60-70 total yards. By my count Cookeville completed about 12 passes for over 200 yards.

I would agree that Ooltewah played quite a few guys both ways. That surprised me, because I thought they were pretty deep. Doesn't appear that they are as deep as everyone has said.

I started seeing Ooltewah guys throwing up on the sidelines and in cramps in the first half.

I thought Cookeville looked stronger in the second than Ooltewah and they held Ooltewah to about 20 plays in the second half.

I also agree this was an exceptional first game, in spite of its sloppiness. and these two teams should be in the playoffs at the end of the season.