Greenbrier vs. PJP2

Yankees Are #1

Well i have heard alot of different things about pope how they have 2 real good athletes whether they are in the back field or one is in the back field and one is split out. I have heard they are gonna be a tough team, well for the greenbrier bobcats this friday that could be true, because the bobcats are gonna have to fix some things and fix the quick if they not only want to stand a change against pope but agaisnt everyone else on their schedule.

By this im talking about the back field mainly! Kyle herndon should be at qb and justin pigg should be at tailback. Against westmoreland a couple of weeks ago pigg touched the ball 4 times and had a 60-70 yard touchdown run. You cant give the ball to your best running back just 4 times and expect to win to many ball games. Now nothing against herndon he is a great ball player but he needs to play qb because he has more experience there then any of the qbs getting reps. And who to put at wingback if they did make these adjustments, well brad martin or jody dorris i think could feel that spot. The wingback for greenbrier has never ran the ball alot and with pigg there who has great speed, tough as nails, and is a td finder is almost a waist of talent having him at wingback, but if greenbrier doesnt fix these problems they could be in for a long season! I do think that the bobcats can be good and i hope they continue to be a team to beat and we will see friday night what does everyone else think?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter
Well i have heard alot of different things about pope how they have 2 real good athletes whether they are in the back field or one is in the back field and one is split out. I have heard they are gonna be a tough team, well for the greenbrier bobcats this friday that could be true, because the bobcats are gonna have to fix some things and fix the quick if they not only want to stand a change against pope but agaisnt everyone else on their schedule.

By this im talking about the back field mainly! Kyle herndon should be at qb and justin pigg should be at tailback. Against westmoreland a couple of weeks ago pigg touched the ball 4 times and had a 60-70 yard touchdown run. You cant give the ball to your best running back just 4 times and expect to win to many ball games. Now nothing against herndon he is a great ball player but he needs to play qb because he has more experience there then any of the qbs getting reps. And who to put at wingback if they did make these adjustments, well brad martin or jody dorris i think could feel that spot. The wingback for greenbrier has never ran the ball alot and with pigg there who has great speed, tough as nails, and is a td finder is almost a waist of talent having him at wingback, but if greenbrier doesnt fix these problems they could be in for a long season! I do think that the bobcats can be good and i hope they continue to be a team to beat and we will see friday night what does everyone else think?

825716002[/snapback]

Well from looking at Kirk Williams' overall record at Greenbrier I am sure that he doesn't need any help from you when it comes to making coaching decisions regarding the football team thumb

Fish said it exactly. Coach williams usually puts the players in the spot where they work best. The coaches are their to see them every day when the fans are'nt. In the westmorelnd game, Pigg did have a great 60 yard td. Herndon also had 4 or 5 carries on the day with around 90 yards and a td. Both are threats from the backfield. I think the difference is that pigg is a great straight ahead runner and herndon is more of the side to side runner. Pigg has great speed when he cmes straight through the hole but he struggles when he has to do any juking. I have heard that herndon may have to start taking more QB snaps because of the existing qb struggles. However it goes, we need to get it worked out quick. PJP will be a tough one.

Yea catfish in a way you are right and in a way you are not. About three years ago before coach moved Roger Herndon to running back greenbrier wasnt winning to many games, but when he did move roger to tailback you saw where it got the team. Thats all im saying that year it took the first game being the first loss of the season for the coaches to work that problem out. I just dont want the coaches to mess around and take a loss on the first game of the season this year to figure out that they have some changes to make! Lets just take a look back last year who was takin all the back up qb snaps in practice kyle Herndon and Lynch, when Aldridge went down last year who went in behind him the game after Kyle Herndon, and yes Lynch did finish the game up that Aldridge got hurt in but if i remeber correctly he took about 10 snaps and i dont think he threw the ball one time. But the next week Kyle was there to pick up the starting qb job and did a pretty fair job. I just think (and no im not a coach) but i think that the best interest for the team to be a winning force this year would be to put kyle under center and Pigg at Tailback. ANd that westmoreland scrimmage fish you said kyle got about 4 or 5 carries well i was there and i saw him get that many carries in the first 10 minutes so i know he got more than that. But the bottom line is Pigg has to get the ball more! Coaches probably dont need my help but trust me im not the only one that feels this way.

Guest catfish-hunter
Yea catfish in a way you are right and in a way you are not. About three years ago before coach moved Roger Herndon to running back greenbrier wasnt winning to many games, but when he did move roger to tailback you saw where it got the team. Thats all im saying that year it took the first game being the first loss of the season for the coaches to work that problem out. I just dont want the coaches to mess around and take a loss on the first game of the season this year to figure out that they have some changes to make! Lets just take a look back last year who was takin all the back up qb snaps in practice kyle Herndon and Lynch, when Aldridge went down last year who went in behind him the game after Kyle Herndon, and yes Lynch did finish the game up that Aldridge got hurt in but if i remeber correctly he took about 10 snaps and i dont think he threw the ball one time. But the next week Kyle was there to pick up the starting qb job and did a pretty fair job. I just think (and no im not a coach) but i think that the best interest for the team to be a winning force this year would be to put kyle under center and Pigg at Tailback. ANd that westmoreland scrimmage fish you said kyle got about 4 or 5 carries well i was there and i saw him get that many carries in the first 10 minutes so i know he got more than that. But the bottom line is Pigg has to get the ball more! Coaches probably dont need my help but trust me im not the only one that feels this way.

825716127[/snapback]

Roger played quarterback in 2002, with Josh Birdwell as the tailback and Curt Williams as the fullback, and that year Greenbrier finished 2nd in the region and lost to a very talented Crockett Co. Cavaliers bunch in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Williams moved Herndon to tailback starting in '03 cause he did not have Birdwell or his son playing anymore. Hunter Norton took over at quarterback in '03 and that is when Greenbrier went to the state semifinals and lost to Covington. After seeing how well Roger did at tailback in '03, Williams just decided to move Jacob Aldridge to quarterback last year and keep Roger at tailback. That move proved to be right yet again as Greenbrier went to the state title game.

People really forget that Roger Herndon started playing about the fourth or fifth week of his freshman season when then starting quarterback Brandon Holder went down with a major injury. Herndon and the backfield duo of Bobby George and Brandon Hajdu, along with Birdwell took a Greenbrier team that started that season 0-5 to the playoffs where they played an unbeaten McNairy Central bunch close in the first round. That 4-7 first round playoff bunch was really the beginning of these past three years where Greenbrier has advanced deep into the playoffs each year.

Well in the 03 season i believe it was Roger started as qb against Fort Campbell, and even started at qb the next game that year against DL until about midway through the first quarter THEN he moved to running back. So all im stating is, is that it took basically 2 losses for the greenbrier coaches to move roger to tailback and when they did move him thats when things started looking upward for the bobcats, so what im saying is that i hope the coaches dont make the same mistake and take a loss or two before they wise up, because yes that 03 team became one of the best greenbrier football teams to ever play and they accomplished what they did having started the season 0-2, but this years team doesnt have the same leaders on it that the 03 team did! So they may not be so fourtunate

Catfish-hunter knows his history well....(except that Holder wasn't injured but moved to receiver and caught the TD pass for the OT win at Page)

I think it's silly to think that the coaches won't put the players that need to play in the right position. In 2003, GB coaches didn't mistakenly take two losses and then decide to move Aldridge to QB. This had been in the works for a while but they can't just suddenly make a total offensive change. You have to give the new players the opportunity to get the snaps at the new spots. The cats just don't have as many options this year as they've had in the past.

I'll also agree with Fan. Pigg is an upright runner. Much like Russell was and Dorris and Dill are. He like to lower his head, hit the defender, and try to keep going. When he's through the hole, he has great acceleration to get into the open field. He's had some great runs in the last two years but you're not going to see him stop, change direction, stiff-arm the defender, and keep going. He runs upright, much like a FB, and does it well. The runner from the TB position can't run like this, especially if you're having trouble finding guards that can pull quick enough. The TB is most often going to have to make a few cuts to find the hole and then get whatever is there. Again, the coaches are there everyday seeing these guys and they've been making these decisions for years so regardless of what fans think, we have to trust in the coaches' decisions. I don't think Coach Williams or his staff will keep ANY player in ANY position if they think the player would be more of a asset from another spot.

Catfish,

The scrimmage with Glenciff didn't go that well. We played a few minutes, had a lightening delay, came back and played for a pretty good while, and then a monsoon hit. This eventually ended the game. It just flooded too much for too long for the teams to go back to playing. Both teams played pretty much even excpet for 3 big plays that we were beat on. We gave up two, long passes early that resulted in their first TD and then they scored on another break away as the storm was hitting. Defensively the Cats looked good most of the time but we just never seemed to get any rhythm on offense. We moved down to their 10 once but had an INT. Greenbrier still has a lot of things to work out.

Edited by NoDoubt

Guest catfish-hunter
Catfish-hunter knows his history well....(except that Holder wasn't injured but moved to receiver and caught the TD pass for the OT win at Page)

I think it's silly to think that the coaches won't put the players that need to play in the right position.  In 2003, GB coaches didn't mistakenly take two losses and then decide to move Aldridge to QB.  This had been in the works for a while but they can't just suddenly make a total offensive change.  You have to give the new players the opportunity to get the snaps at the new spots. The cats just don't have as many options this year as they've had in the past.

I'll also agree with Fan.  Pigg is an upright runner.  Much like Russell was and Dorris and Dill are.  He like to lower his head, hit the defender, and try to keep going.  When he's through the hole, he has great acceleration to get into the open field.  He's had some great runs in the last two years but you're not going to see him stop, change direction, stiff-arm the defender, and keep going.  He runs upright, much like a FB, and does it well.  The runner from the TB position can't run like this, especially if you're having trouble finding guards that can pull quick enough.  The TB is most often going to have to make a few cuts to find the hole and then get whatever is there.  Again, the coaches are there everyday seeing these guys and they've been making these decisions for years so regardless of what fans think, we have to trust in the coaches' decisions.  I don't think Coach Williams or his staff will keep ANY player in ANY position if they think the player would be more of a asset from another spot.

Catfish,

The scrimmage with Glenciff didn't go that well.  We played a few minutes, had a lightening delay, came back and played for a pretty good while, and then a monsoon hit.  This eventually ended the game.  It just flooded too much for too long for the teams to go back to playing.  Both teams played pretty much even excpet for 3 big plays that we were beat on.  We gave up two, long passes early that resulted in their first TD and then they scored on another break away as the storm was hitting.  Defensively the Cats looked good most of the time but we just never seemed to get any rhythm on offense.  We moved down to their 10 once but had an INT.  Greenbrier still has a lot of things to work out.

825716585[/snapback]

Thanks for the info buddy and hopefully I can get the opportunity to meet you and the FatCat when Greenbrier comes to Ashland City in week five.