The best "small school" coach?

cobrakurt

He's an unknown quantity as a head coach right now, but I truly believe you are going to see great things out of Sam Brooks, who just took over the program at Upperman HS in Baxter. I went to school with Sam and played ball with him. One of the most talented HS athletes I've ever seen. Not that athleticism(sp) is a must, but Sam has a way of motivating people around him to be better than they already are. I believe that is a key to taking over a program that is down, especially at a small school where you have limited resourses and a limited talent base. He was the OC at Cookeville a few years ago, and gave it up to concentrate more on his duties as the HC for the Softball program, from what I understand.

Show 'em how it's down, Sambo! thumb

i agree totaly :thumb:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats his record against Satterfield, If you wanna know who the best are you need to look at playoff records.

Satterfield is a great coach! You want to compare him to Satterfield, hard to do. Unless, you want to rewind the years and put Maynord at Trousdale and see if it would be better or worse than the past. I will say, "No Comment!"

But let me brag on him for a minute.

He started coaching in 1980 at White County. He was there for nearly ten years. Do not know his record there, but it was pretty darn good. I do remember many playoff appearances, and remember big wins over Oakland and Riverdale.

Then of course he went to Riverdale to be Defensive Cordinator under Rankin. He was there about 4 years and helped guide them to two runnerups and a state championship.

He then went to Upperman in 1995. They had never been to the playoffs in school history. He was there four years and they went to the playoffs all four years. AND. They have not been back since he left. That stint included a semifinal playoff appearance.

He then went to Smith County where he is now. Been there for six years and have went to the playoffs every year there as well. That inludes two quarterfinal appearances and a semifinal appearance as well as numerous Region Championships. Holds the record at SC and Upperman for most wins in one season. Named AF Bridges coach of the year last year.

Toot! Toot! I am really tooting his horn aren't I?

Don't overall head coach record. But, I can give you his record over the last ten years. 94-35. That winning percentage is 73%. Those loses are to teams such as, Sequatchie County, Meigs County, Knox Webb, Goodpasture, David Lipscomb, Trousdale, Knox Fulton, Westmoreland, Macon County, and Portland.

Maybe no where near the best in the state, but his resume speaks for itself.

Carter County has three dandies. Long time Hampton coach J.C. Campbell, former Cloudland head coach and now Hampton assistant Mike Lunsford, and Happy Valley's Stan Ogg. Pretty darn good for one county.

I agree with JC Campbell. But (you've got to be kidding me)how can you mention ogg. those kids walked the dog for the past 6 years only suffering 3 loses combined yrs. He has taken the most talented class ever @ HV and made them only as good as one. HV will be lucky to finish 6-4. more than likely 5-5.

Those other coaches have taken average talent and made them great. He has done the opposite. rumor has it that he has finally realized he knows nothing about coaching and will quit. unfortunately 7 years to late.

He's an unknown quantity as a head coach right now, but I truly believe you are going to see great things out of Sam Brooks, who just took over the program at Upperman HS in Baxter. I went to school with Sam and played ball with him. One of the most talented HS athletes I've ever seen. Not that athleticism(sp) is a must, but Sam has a way of motivating people around him to be better than they already are. I believe that is a key to taking over a program that is down, especially at a small school where you have limited resourses and a limited talent base. He was the OC at Cookeville a few years ago, and gave it up to concentrate more on his duties as the HC for the Softball program, from what I understand.

Show 'em how it's down, Sambo! thumb

Playoffs for the first time in 7 years with 1st year head coach Sam Brooks. The town of Baxter will see the turn around in the next few years. Coach Wright brought back the conditioning in his short stint at Upperman and now Coach Brooks is building on that foundation. There are some good athletes at Upperman they just need some more motivation and guidance.

Playoffs for the first time in 7 years with 1st year head coach Sam Brooks. The town of Baxter will see the turn around in the next few years. Coach Wright brought back the conditioning in his short stint at Upperman and now Coach Brooks is building on that foundation. There are some good athletes at Upperman they just need some more motivation and guidance.

Congratulations Bees on making the playoffs.