JCS vs DCA

hobock

DCA wins on drive in the 4th quarter fueled by a great catch and run by Derek Oakley followed by a long, weaving run by Ryan Fields. Fields finished it off by taking the draw and breaking a few tackles to get into the endzone. The extra point put DCA ahead to stay. Fields then made a miraculous interception of a deep ball. He twisted his body around and bobbled the ball but finally hauled it down as both he and the receiver fell to the ground in a heap. DCA took control and had the ball with a couple of minutes to go. On third down for DCA, Tramel fired a pass to the sideline to Seth Goodwin who shed one tackle and rolled down the sideline for about 20 more to seal the deal. DCA took a knee to run out the clock.

JCS had taken the lead on a great punt return by #9 Sheffield. They got a great performance from their quarterback Will McDonald, who is tall, lanky, and a great dual threat. Think an exact replica of former DCA quarterback Jim Fenwick. He had a 44 yard TD run on 3rd and 14 in the first half to pull JCS to within 1.

DCA has some definite problems on defense. They simply can't stop the run and were not good on 3rd down. Mobile quarterbacks are DCA's kryptonite as they found out last year with Joe Ruddle and Drew Akins running all over them. THe inexperienced linemen will mature as the year goes on. Don't get me wrong, the defense certainly isn't bad, they just gave up far too many big plays. They will get better.

The offense did just fine, though. Look for DCA to pass alot this year. Oakley is a stud at WR and Fields is very effective in the open field. I think however that they should move Fields to WR opposite Oakley and #15(in a 3 WR set) and make Acker the man at tailback. Acker showed gobs of potential last year in the state title game. He didn't get a single carry all night, though and played some a Defensive End. I don't know if he is hurt or what, but if they are keeping him out for another reason other than that, then they are making a mistake. Tramel at quarterback, Fields,Oakley, Goodwin, and number 15 at WR, and Acker at running back is the lineup that will score a lot of points. Oh well, they did fine on offense tonight regardless I just thought that needed addressing. And give #21 the ball, too. He is only a sophomore and is the man of the future in the backfield. He did very good on kick returns and the occasional carry tonight.

All in all, considering JCS is the #3 team in Class A, and this was the first game(DCA traditionally doesn't look so polished in the first game), I'd say it was a job well done.

And hey! Two close games in a row! there hadn't been one for two years before the state title game last year. I'd forgotton how fun they were.

It was hot tonight at the DCA campus and I will have to say that the team that cramped the least won. For the first game of the season, it was relatively penalty-free, except delay of games and stopages for player's cramping, and there was only one turnover, but it was a crucial one.

I haven't figured oot yet how JCS only scored 27 points, because it seemed like they were constantly breaking loose for 50 yd TD runs or returning punts for 95 yds for a TD. JCS surprised me with their speed and tackle-breaking ability.

DCA did most of their scoring through the air as Josh Trammel continues to shine passing the ball, with IIRC 3 TD throws. Ryan Fields made a probable game-saving intercaption on the DCA 20 yd line with 2 minutes to go in the game. This came after DCA had regained the lead 28-27 just minutes earlier.

The Tennessean should have a recap with stats on their webpage later and I will post the link.

edited : Great recap unbiased, do you take notes or what? Acker is a little banged up, but he is a load to bring down, especially late in a game. Considering the number of positions with new starters, DCA did a great job tonight. Don't know what to expect after the move up to 2A, but hopefully both of these teams will make the playoffs.

Edited by Haptown

Acker suffers from stingers...may or may not run the ball this year. It all depends. He is much more susceptible to them when he is running the ball than when playing DE or TE. Coaches are just being cautious, I assume. He's about the best athlete out there no matter what position he is playing. As for the defense, JCS ran all over DCA. I don't know why they threw the ball 15 times. Not a typical DCA defense, they are usually very stingy against the run. The strong point of theur defense is their DBs...some of the best corners I have seen in High School. Defended JCS passing game very well. JCS faces a couple more tough tests before they get to the easier part of their schedule. I am interested to see how they do this season. With most of the powerhouse privates moving to AA JCS might be one of the best in A. Can't wait for the USJ game!