FOOTBALL IN SMITH COUNTY BETTER OR WORSE?

Eagledriver

I threw an offense on the field with the intention of of putting a D and only letting the players play one way. When I have a tad more time I will attempt it.

Josh and Brett Hackett, Sid Enoch, E. Gibbs are all on it.

Rocking Chair, I was only staying from 80's up. I don't know that much About earlier years. I know Jim "Dawg" Webb was tough one to catch playing kill the "Jam" with the ball. You should hear those stories from Jackson and Dogwood street.

How could I leave Kendrick off TE? Probably the best all time. Oops. He's my TE.

This is fun.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCOTT DIRKSON 5880 YARDS AND 69 TDS. NO ONE ELSE HAS COME CLOSE, NO ONE WILL COME CLOSE, HE WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME PLAYER AND WE SHOULD BE PROUD OF HIM AND SCHS DURING THAT TIME. SOME OF YOU KEEP POSTING THAT THE 1988 TEAM WAS NOT THE BEST. THOSE STATS DO NOT LIE AND THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT A GOOD TEAM NOT JUST WITH ONE GOOD PLAYER. :lol: DO NOT FORGET THE PLAYOFF SYSTEM TODAY VERSUS THEN ,IT IS MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO AND WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS TODAY THAN IT WAS IN 1988. THERE IS NO DEBATING THAT. THERE ARE TEAMS ALLOWED INTO THE PLAYOFFS WITH LOSING RECORDS TODAY. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE DURING THAT TIME. THE PLAYOFF OFFICIALS HAVE MADE IT MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. LETS NOT ALSO FORGET THAT THE 88 AND 89 OWLS WERE UNDEFEATED DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. THATS SOMETHING THAT LAST YEARS TEAM DID NOT ACHIEVE. IF LAST YEARS TEAM HAD TO PLAY EAST TN TEAMS IN THE FIRST ROUND THEY POSSIBLY WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED ALSO. ITS IS NOT THAT LAST YEARS TEAM WAS NOT GOOD IT IS HAVING TO PLAY A TEAM FROM EAST TN THAT YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT. YOU ALREADY HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CONFIDENCE GOING INTO A PLAYOFF GAME KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THAT TEAM 34-0 OR WHATEVER THE CASE MAY BE. IT IS MUCH DIFFERENT GOING INTO A GAME WITH A TEAM THAT YOU HAVE NOT FACED AND THAT YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT. IN CLOSING I DO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO GET INTO AND WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS. THERE WERE SOME KILLER PRIVATE SCHOOLS THAT WERE KINGS DURING THOSE TIMES.YOU HAD TO BE AWFULLY GOOD TO HAVE BEATEN A BRENTWOOD ACADEMY OR MUS OR ECS IN THOSE DAYS.

SCOTT DIRKSON 5880 YARDS AND 69 TDS. NO ONE ELSE HAS COME CLOSE, NO ONE WILL COME CLOSE, HE WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME PLAYER AND WE SHOULD BE PROUD OF HIM AND SCHS DURING THAT TIME. SOME OF YOU KEEP POSTING THAT THE 1988 TEAM WAS NOT THE BEST. THOSE STATS DO NOT LIE AND THEY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT A GOOD TEAM NOT JUST WITH ONE GOOD PLAYER. :lol: DO NOT FORGET THE PLAYOFF SYSTEM TODAY VERSUS THEN ,IT IS MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO AND WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS TODAY THAN IT WAS IN 1988. THERE IS NO DEBATING THAT. THERE ARE TEAMS ALLOWED INTO THE PLAYOFFS WITH LOSING RECORDS TODAY. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE DURING THAT TIME. THE PLAYOFF OFFICIALS HAVE MADE IT MUCH EASIER TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. LETS NOT ALSO FORGET THAT THE 88 AND 89 OWLS WERE UNDEFEATED DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. THATS SOMETHING THAT LAST YEARS TEAM DID NOT ACHIEVE. IF LAST YEARS TEAM HAD TO PLAY EAST TN TEAMS IN THE FIRST ROUND THEY POSSIBLY WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED ALSO. ITS IS NOT THAT LAST YEARS TEAM WAS NOT GOOD IT IS HAVING TO PLAY A TEAM FROM EAST TN THAT YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT. YOU ALREADY HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CONFIDENCE GOING INTO A PLAYOFF GAME KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THAT TEAM 34-0 OR WHATEVER THE CASE MAY BE. IT IS MUCH DIFFERENT GOING INTO A GAME WITH A TEAM THAT YOU HAVE NOT FACED AND THAT YOU KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT. IN CLOSING I DO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO GET INTO AND WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS. THERE WERE SOME KILLER PRIVATE SCHOOLS THAT WERE KINGS DURING THOSE TIMES.YOU HAD TO BE AWFULLY GOOD  TO HAVE BEATEN A BRENTWOOD ACADEMY OR MUS OR ECS IN THOSE DAYS.

825734984[/snapback]

Actually...the SC teams of the last 3 years would have made the playoffs under the old system...while playing up a class. I did like the old system of playing a different opponent in the later rounds. You didn't know about them...but conversely...they didn't know you either.

Dirkson...in my opinion...was the most fun to watch. Wilmore's stats are fairly close...even though they went farther during the playoffs during that time.

They were two different types of backs. Dirkson was explosive through the hole. He did not have great speed...but he was at full speed in two steps. Wilmore was a very tough inside hardnosed runner. I think he had the most heart of any back we've had.

Edited by Antwan

My O

WR Brian Hackett, Joe Skelton, John Foster, Jason Harville, Shannon Green

TE Kendrick King and David Stacey

Ts Kevin Raney and Ben Stacey

Gs Pup Enoch and David Reid

C Sid Enoch

RBs Juice, Wilmore, Billy Fank, Noogie

QBs Brady, Crowe, Roberts

Go 5 wide or Dead I or whatever you wanna do with these guys. Smart, athletic, and strong.

Edited by BigOwlFan

My O

WR Brian Hackett, Joe Skelton, John Foster, Jason Harville, Shannon Green

TE  Kendrick King and David Stacey

Ts  Kevin Raney and Ben Stacey

Gs  Pup Enoch and David Reid

C    Sid Enoch

RBs  Juice, Wilmore, Billy Fank, Noogie

QBs  Brady, Crowe, Roberts

Go 5 wide or Dead I or whatever you wanna do with these guys. Smart, athletic, and strong.

825735084[/snapback]

I forgot about David Stacey.He wasn't bad.Pup was okay.

Actually...the SC teams of the last 3 years would have made the playoffs under the old system...while playing up a class.  I did like the old system of playing a different opponent in the later rounds.  You didn't know about them...but conversely...they didn't know you either.

Dirkson...in my opinion...was the most fun to watch.  Wilmore's stats are fairly close...even though they went farther during the playoffs during that time.

They were two different types of backs.  Dirkson was explosive through the hole. He did not have great speed...but he was at full speed in two steps.  Wilmore was a very tough inside hardnosed runner. I think he had the most heart of any back we've had.

825734991[/snapback]

You could be right,but 3a then included 5a schools today.So although they may have made the playoffs they probably wouldn't have gone past the first round either.Juice was very physical.He never stopped churning those legs,but the difference was Juice had moves that were uncanny as well.I remember Doug Dillard told me once he was ready to hit Juice and wrap him up and then Juice was gone.He weighed between 190 and 200 lbs.and was physical.We are also forgetting the o-line was probably average or just a bit above that then.Two or three real good linemaen was about it.

You could be right,but 3a then included 5a schools today.So although they may have made the playoffs they probably wouldn't have gone past the first round either.Juice was very physical.He never stopped churning those legs,but the difference was Juice had moves that were uncanny as well.I remember Doug Dillard told me once he was ready to hit Juice and wrap him up and then Juice was gone.He weighed between 190 and 200 lbs.and was physical.We are also forgetting the o-line was probably average or just a bit above that then.Two or three real good linemaen was about it.

825735441[/snapback]

We were in AA...not AAA...which includes about where 3a is today.

We were in AA...not AAA...which includes about where 3a is today.

825735499[/snapback]

I guess I misunderstood you.3a at that time contained some 3a-5a schools now.I can't remember them all.One good team in 3a then which isn't that great now was Oakland.I know we were in 2a then as we are now with close to the same region opponents now as then.I do know also the caliber of those east TN teams hasn't diminished any either.I will say though last years Owls would've had a tough time in 3a then.Another team that whipped us in the playoffs that would've done so to them was that 1985 A.E.team with Leroy Thompson.They were killer.In those years I would rate 1988 as the best but 1985 went farther and had some very good players.1987 was a top notch team who lost the region to York on that hail mary pass at the end of the game.We could've done well in the playoffs but had a couple of very bad calls in that Sweetwater game.I think all in all this is a fun post so some of us older guys won't be forgotten and to tell everyone we know football pretty good too.I hope this years Owls do well.I believe they win the region fairly easily,but could face some tough opponents in the playoffs.

Edited by Cousin Eddie

One more thing I forgot was the fact that I don't believe last years team would've beaten that 1988 Marion County team in the first round under the same field conditions that we were in that night.Probably shouldn't have even been playing that night.Also,if I remember wasn't Wilmore shut down by Fultons defense on a dry field last year.We win some and lose some but we shouldn't forget these throwback players.I'm just saying I believe Juice could've ran on Fulton behind that line from last year.He got all of his yards with alot less talented line although there were a couple of really good ones.Wilmore though was a little smaller and a different style of runner.I hear rumors come from family at SCHS how some make the comment that Juice wasn't that good.That isn't true.He was a once in a lifetime back for the size school as SCHS.

All right this is great,an all SCHS team.offense: Tackles-Kevin Raney 1987 and Chris McConnell

Guards-Doug Elliot 1988 and Dave Silcox

Center-John Jones 1985

RB's-Juice 1988,Nugee King 1984,Dennis Butler

FB's-Willie White 1985,B.F.Phillips 1987,Jay Hesson

TE's-Keith Goolsby 1985,Kendrick King

WR's-Ronald Edwards 1985,Randy Stout

QB's-Chris Crowe,Richie Roberts

Defense:DT's-Kevin Raney,Chris McConnell

DE's-Roscoe Vance 1985,Kevin Miller 1988,Gibbs from a couple years ago.

NG-Doug Elliot

LB's-Willie White,Billy Frank,Jay Hesson,Michael McKinley

Secondary-Shannon Green 1988,Lee Forrest was decent in the secondary,Ronald Edwards,Jody Murray.

825734627[/snapback]

the only thing mcconnell had going for him was his size. overall i thought he was one of the laziest players on the field