Riverdale wins in Ohio

warriordawg31

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...you are basing your opinions of Kilbourne on scrimmages.  I don't know about Ohio...but down here scrimmages don't mean much.  Riverdale played Kilbourne because they called them. Riverdale posted an ad on the bluegrass preps website. Kilbourne called and they worked out a home and home series.

I really don't think Riverdale checked the preseason or spring scrimmages in Ohio to decide whom to play. By the way...how's the FreshPrince doing?  :thumb:

Nah...the fact is...you don't know how good Kilbourne is.  They may make it past the semis this year.

825732119[/snapback]

No, I am basing my opinion of Kilbourne on a number of different factors, including that Marion Harding is a mediocre team at best. Any team worth ranking should have named their score against them, especially with three quarters of live game play with the starters. Why is it so hard to believe an Ohioan would have a pretty good idea of how good Kilbourne is?

I would consider myself someone who is fairly knowledgable about Ohio DI statewide. In any case, I would have put Kilbourne in the 15-20 category in Ohio's DI for the preseason and still do after week 1. All divisions considered, they wouldn't be in the top 20.

My DI Top 20 (note: I don't think any team outside the top nine has a shot to win the title)

1. St. Ignatius

2. Glenville

3. St. Xavier

4. Moeller

5. Canton McKinley

6. Warren Harding

7. Brookhaven

8. St. Edward

9. Colerain

10. LaSalle

11. Elder

12. Massillon

13. Solon

14. Westerville South

15. Centerville

16. Elyria

17. Lakota East

18. Amherst Steele

19. Kilbourne

20. Mentor

Also note that I have no qualms in saying the TN's best would compete well with OH's best. I do think down the line, Ohio would have a greater depth of quality teams.

Not to change the subject, but how many of those teams in your list are Private? and how many of the top nine are?

No, I am basing my opinion of Kilbourne on a number of different factors, including that Marion Harding is a mediocre team at best.  Any team worth ranking should have named their score against them, especially with three quarters of live game play with the starters.  Why is it so hard to believe an Ohioan would have a pretty good idea of how good Kilbourne is? 

I would consider myself someone who is fairly knowledgable about Ohio DI statewide. In any case, I would have put Kilbourne in the 15-20 category in Ohio's DI for the preseason and still do after week 1.  All divisions considered, they wouldn't be in the top 20.     

My DI Top 20 (note: I don't think any team outside the top nine has a shot to win the title)

1.  St. Ignatius

2.  Glenville

3.  St. Xavier

4.  Moeller

5.  Canton McKinley

6.  Warren Harding

7.  Brookhaven

8.  St. Edward

9.  Colerain

10.  LaSalle

11.  Elder

12.  Massillon

13.  Solon

14.  Westerville South

15.  Centerville

16.  Elyria

17.  Lakota East

18.  Amherst Steele

19.  Kilbourne

20.  Mentor

Also note that I have no qualms in saying the TN's best would compete well with OH's best.  I do think down the line, Ohio would have a greater depth of quality teams.

825732195[/snapback]

Jazzy Jeff,

Since you know a lot about High School football in Ohio, what happened to Colerain this weekend??? Was that a shocker or are they down a little?? And what is Glenville looking like this year. A lot of people may not know this, but the coach at Glenville is Ted Ginn Sr. His kid is pretty decent, LOL!!

Not to change the subject, but how many of those teams in your list are Private? and how many of the top nine are?

825732231[/snapback]

Catholic Schools in my top 20

1. St. Ignatius

3. St. Xavier

4. Moeller

8. St. Edward

10. LaSalle

11. Elder

There are only seven Catholic schools in Ohio DI and the one missing is Toledo St. John Jesuit. SJJ's has been a far as the state semi-final once in recent years (a blowout loss to St. Edward). Toledo teams haven't been know to make much noise at the DI level otherwise.

Jazzy Jeff,

Since you know a lot about High School football in Ohio, what happened to Colerain this weekend??? Was that a shocker or are they down a little?? And what is Glenville looking like this year. A lot of people may not know this, but the coach at Glenville is Ted Ginn Sr. His kid is pretty decent, LOL!!

825732231[/snapback]

Colerain had to replace their Fab Five (fullback Mister Simpson (Michigan); defensive back Brayden Coombs (Miami University); and defensive tackle Terrill Byrd, quarterback Dominick Goodman and linebacker Andre Revels (all Cincinnati) and in all 13 players will be playing in college this season. IMO the two most important cogs in their triple option offense was their QB and fullback/diveback. In the QB's place is junior transfer Gary Pride from a local Catholic school (Roger Bacon) who has never run it before. Colerain only goes as far as Pride takes them. I wasn't shocked by St. X winning, I was shocked that X shut them out.

Glenville doesn't have the line play they did a year ago, nor do they have a Mr. Everything, like they have had the past two years. In 2003, it was Ginn Jr. and in 2004 it was Freddie Lenix. They do have the DI collegiate talent, but a poor kicking game and poor coaching may not get them as far as last year.

No, I am basing my opinion of Kilbourne on a number of different factors, including that Marion Harding is a mediocre team at best.  Any team worth ranking should have named their score against them, especially with three quarters of live game play with the starters.  Why is it so hard to believe an Ohioan would have a pretty good idea of how good Kilbourne is? 

I would consider myself someone who is fairly knowledgable about Ohio DI statewide. In any case, I would have put Kilbourne in the 15-20 category in Ohio's DI for the preseason and still do after week 1.  All divisions considered, they wouldn't be in the top 20.     

1.  St. Ignatius

2.  Glenville

3.  St. Xavier

4.  Moeller

5.  Canton McKinley

6.  Warren Harding

7.  Brookhaven

8.  St. Edward

9.  Colerain

10.  LaSalle

11.  Elder

12.  Massillon

13.  Solon

14.  Westerville South

15.  Centerville

16.  Elyria

17.  Lakota East

18.  Amherst Steele

19.  Kilbourne

20.  Mentor

Also note that I have no qualms in saying the TN's best would compete well with OH's best.  I do think down the line, Ohio would have a greater depth of quality teams.

825732195[/snapback]

I think that's a true statement. The main reason is that Ohio has over twice the population and over twice the number of schools. Ohio also has larger private schools in larger metro areas.

825732195[/snapback]

I knew a high school administrator who had to interview candidates for a coaching job in his community. One of the people to be interviewed was a local citizen. Nice guy, but kind of a goober. ... Well, he had to be interviewed, so he was.

One of the questions asked of him was what coaching experience did he have. His answer was that he watched pro games on TV every Sunday and charted the mistakes.

My point is this: Anyone can claim he's an expert. Some actually are, but most only think they are. ... JJ, I am sure you are one of the top experts on Ohio high school football, but that means absolutely nothing to me or anyone else here. ... The fact of the matter is that you and others from up there are all of a sudden putting down Riverdale for its win. Why weren't you posting prior to the game, sharing your vast knowledge by telling everyone that Kilbourne was not a big deal and that a win by Riverdale would not mean very much in the long run? If the Riverdale win was nothing special, then why are you wasting your time posting?

Every fan loves it when a team from his state beats a team from another state. It brings out all of that "Our state is better than yours" talk.

I'm located about 200 miles on the interstate and a million miles in terms of talent from Riverdale, but I was as happy about the win as I would have been as a Riverdale alumnus. .... We're gonna have a little fun with this win and then move on with our lives. You should, too.

Jazzy,

Ohio definitely has more depth as far as high school talent than Tennessee, for a lot of reason I won't bother listing. But don't think that Riverdale couldn't play with anyone in Ohio or the nation; a quality is a quality team. Also, don't believe that there aren't schools in Tennessee that can play with teams of equal size in Ohio (i.e., Alcoa vs. Ohio small schools).

I think most of the good Super "8" teams and good 5A and 4A schools would be very competitive in OH.

But don't think I'm trying to trash Ohio. You may or may not give a d***, but someone on another forum once asked how people would rank each state in terms of the quality of high school football there. Based on the number of nationally-recognized programs in each state, I put Ohio in fifth behind only California, Texas, Florida, and Georgia. I understand every bit how y'all do things up there.

Edited by mcallister1479

I knew a high school administrator who had to interview candidates for a coaching job in his community. One of the people to be interviewed was a local citizen. Nice guy, but kind of a goober. ... Well, he had to be interviewed, so he was.

One of the questions asked of him was what coaching experience did he have. His answer was that he watched pro games on TV every Sunday and charted the mistakes.

My point is this: Anyone can claim he's an expert. Some actually are, but most only think they are. ... JJ, I am sure you are one of the top experts on Ohio high school football, but that means absolutely nothing to me or anyone else here. ... The fact of the matter is that you and others from up there are all of a sudden putting down Riverdale for its win. Why weren't you posting prior to the game, sharing your vast knowledge by telling everyone that Kilbourne was not a big deal and that a win by Riverdale would not mean very much in the long run? If the Riverdale win was nothing special, then why are you wasting your time posting?

Every fan loves it when a team from his state beats a team from another state. It brings out all of that "Our state is better than yours" talk.

I'm located about 200 miles on the interstate and a million miles in terms of talent from Riverdale, but I was as happy about the win as I would have been as a Riverdale alumnus. .... We're gonna have a little fun with this win and then move on with our lives. You should, too.

Reread my posts, I've had nothing derogatory to say about Riverdale, their players or even about Tennessee high school football. My posts were about Kilbourne, plain and simple. Do they teach reading comprehension in Tennessee? If I wanted to flame Tennessee, I wouldn't have tried to use facts or any other commentary. My posts were to inform and provoke thoughtful discussion. IMO, some can't handle the truth about Kilbourne. One poster claimed that Riverdale needed time to adjust to the size and speed of Kilbourne, which was hard to believe. Kilbourne is neither a quick or fairly large team. In the end, Riverdale did a fine job of representing Tennessee on the road, no one is debating that.

I also never claimed to be an expert, just "fairly knowledgeable" about Ohio DI football.

I've perused this board from time to time. I post on a number of national boards and wanted to get a background on MBA. In doing so, I caught the commentary of the Kilbourne/Riverdale tilt. It wasn't until I saw that the score on Sat. morning that I decided to come on over and check out what the Volunteer state had to say about this game. In fact, the poster Antwan and other TN posters came over to the Yappi board (the Ohio DI board) first.

But don't think I'm trying to trash Ohio. You may or may not give a d***, but someone on another forum once asked how people would rank each state in terms of the quality of high school football there. Based on the number of nationally-recognized programs in each state, I put Ohio in fifth behind only California, Texas, Florida, and Georgia. I understand every bit how y'all do things up there.

825732478[/snapback]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Come visit the national boards and get a consensus. Most will put Ohio two or three behind Texas and maybe California with regards to teams. Athlete-wise, Ohio is behind Texas, Florida, California and maybe Louisiana.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Come visit the national boards and get a consensus.  Most will put Ohio two or three behind Texas and maybe California with regards to teams.  Athlete-wise, Ohio is behind Texas, Florida, California and maybe Louisiana.

825732698[/snapback]

By looking at ESPN's top 150 players in the country this year...I would put you behind GA for sure and maybe PA too. Your top player is rated at #44...not too impressive. I think most of you up there think a little more of yourselves than the rest of the country does. :rolleyes: I guess these things do go in cycles. Last year...we had the #1 or 2 player in Patrick Turner. He is currently a starting wide receiver for USC as a true freshman. This year our top rated player is #19 Brandon Warren of Alcoa.

By looking at ESPN's top 150 players in the country this year...I would put you behind GA for sure and maybe PA too. Your top player is rated at #44...not too impressive.  I think most of you up there think a little more of yourselves than the rest of the country does.  :rolleyes:  I guess these things do go in cycles. Last year...we had the #1 or 2 player in Patrick Turner. He is currently a starting wide receiver for USC as a true freshman.  This year our top rated player is #19 Brandon Warren of Alcoa.

825732775[/snapback]

trust me the national rank of one player per team doesn't matter. riverdale only had like two D1 college signees but their coaching and chemistry for the whole team was outstanding. that's what makes a team good.... not just one difference maker. o and i'm sure that crap about patrick turner isn't true. yea he's good but it's USC we're talking about here. he's a freshman on a team loaded with receivers... no way he's starting. why would they start a freshman if they didn't have to?... i'll be blown away if that's true.

By looking at ESPN's top 150 players in the country this year...I would put you behind GA for sure and maybe PA too. Your top player is rated at #44...not too impressive.  I think most of you up there think a little more of yourselves than the rest of the country does.  :rolleyes:  I guess these things do go in cycles. Last year...we had the #1 or 2 player in Patrick Turner. He is currently a starting wide receiver for USC as a true freshman.  This year our top rated player is #19 Brandon Warren of Alcoa.

825732775[/snapback]

It just depends on which rankings you look at. For instance, Chris Wells has been ranked as high as 4 and 9. Again, individuals aren't necessarily the best indicators of how good the teams are. Although teams like Glenville in Ohio have 12-15 guys that will play in NCAA DI and is arguably the fastest team in the nation.

Turner, I believe is the No. 2 split end for the Trojans. Very impressive nonetheless.