Riverdale wins in Ohio

warriordawg31

Do they teach reading comprehension in Tennessee?

Ok, who had 57 posts and four pages in the office pool before the first northern comment alluding to stupid southerners??

A little undignified and disrespectful, IMO.

In case you're wondering, we have shoes, indoor plumbing and paved roads, and very few of our buildings still have dirt floors. .... If you can't do any better than that, take it somewhere else.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trust me the national rank of one player per team doesn't matter. riverdale only had like two D1 college signees but their coaching and chemistry for the whole team was outstanding. that's what makes a team good.... not just one difference maker. o and i'm sure that crap about patrick turner isn't true. yea he's good but it's USC we're talking about here. he's a freshman on a team loaded with receivers... no way he's starting. why would they start a freshman if they didn't have to?... i'll be blown away if that's true.

825732788[/snapback]

This was in the Nashville Tennessean

Turner impressing USC coaches

Former Goodpasture wide receiver Patrick Turner has been impressive in offseason and fall practices as a freshman for defending national champion Southern Cal.

Even though the Trojans are deep and young at wide receiver, Turner is pushing for the third receiver spot.

According to USCfootball.com, Turner catches the ball effortlessly and his main strength is route running. During a recent scrimmage, he ran a perfect post-corner route and Heisman winner Matt Leinart hit him with a TD strike, his second of the day.

From USCfootball.com on their preseaon scrimmage.

COLLEGE RECRUITING HIGH SCHOOL AMP EXPERTS RADIO SUBSCRIBE

Click to learn more...

HOME HEADLINES MESSAGE BOARDS FOOTBALL BASKETBALL RECRUITING

News Roster Stats Schedule Scoreboard Standings Leaders Rankings

August 22, 2005

Free Trojan scrimmage a success

Ryan Abraham

USCFootball.com Publisher

Head coach Pete Carroll has been an innovative thinker during his tenure at USC. His latest idea of hosting a free scrimmage at the Coliseum was a big hit with Trojan fans, some of whom were able to view the inside of the Old Grey Lady for the first time.

ValleyTrojan.com

Team captains in the tunnel at the Coliseum

In preparation for the season Carroll and his staff simulated what a game weekend would be like for the players. He took the team to the AVP beach volleyball tournament in Manhattan Beach on Saturday morning and then had a walk-through on Howard Jones Field in the afternoon. The team then went to a hotel, checked in and stayed the night, just like they would for a normal game weekend.

Two hours before the scrimmage the team took part in a "Trojan Walk" as they entered the Peristyle end of the Coliseum, accompanied by the Thundering Herd. The Herd members were given access to the field and took photos with the players and coaches before the team entered the locker room.

The game itself was more of a warm-up, pitting the first string guys in cardinal against a team of reserves wearing black. By halftime it was 34-0 for the cardinal team and it could have easily been worse. To speed things along the clock kept running the entire time, even during timeouts. There were a few stoppages when the team worked the 2-minute drill, but essentially there were only a couple of possessions per quarter.

One of the highlights was the Trojan Marching Band showing up in midseason form. They played throughout the first half and even performed a halftime show before exiting early in the third quarter.

To keep things as authentic as possible the Trojan vision board was active (although in rough shape, missing several pixels), a stadium announcer updated the fans after each play and they pumped in crowd noise for the players. Although there were about 30,000 fans in attendance, few people were standing and yelling at the top of their lungs when Michael McDonald and his team of black shirts were staring down a 3rd and long.

In a nutshell, when Matt Leinart started a drive the cardinal team scored a touchdown. When the first string defense had the floor, the black shirt team didn't score a touchdown.

Here is the official recap from usctrojans.com:

Touchdowns by the likes of Reggie Bush, LenDale White and Steve Smith helped the two-time defending national champion USC football team's first team defeat the reserves, 50-16, in an 88-play intrasquad scrimmage in front of 30,000 fans who watched for free in the Coliseum on Sunday (Aug. 21).

ValleyTrojan.com

The Song Girls performed for the fans

Team Cardinal, which scored the first 44 points before Team Black Shirts could get on the board, scored on its first 6 possessions. Tailbacks Bush (19 yards) and White (75 yards on his first carry) scored on Team Cardinal's first two series, followed by a 34-yard scoring pass from Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart to wide receiver Smith and then a 12-yard run by tailback Desmond Reed.

Team Cardinal's defense even got into the scoring act, as defensive end Lawrence Jackson returned a fumble 13 yards for a TD on the last play of the first half.

Then after halftime, placekicker Mario Danelo hit a 38-yard field goal and tight end Fred Davis caught an 8-yard scoring pass from quarterback John David Booty at the end of the third quarter.

Team Black Shirts scored twice in the fourth quarter. First, walk-on freshman linebacker Nick Garratt sacked Booty and forced a fumble, which Garratt scooped up and returned 65 yards for a touchdown. Then, wide receiver William Buchanon caught a 14-yard scoring pass from quarterback Michael McDonald.

Tailback Andre Woodert's 2-yard TD run late in the final quarter closed out the scoring for Team Cardinal.

"I thought this scrimmage was a total success," said USC head coach Pete Carroll. "It turned out better than I thought and the big crowd added to the atmosphere. The players played with intensity and there was great communication between the coaches and players.

"Now, we're ready for one-a-day practices and the start of school (on Monday). We accomplished a lot more in this fall camp than we did last year. We had lots of good opportunities to get in some authentic game-like situations."

Leinart completed 7-of-9 passes for 128 yards, Booty was 6-of-11 for 91 yards, McDonald was 6-of-11 for 111 yards and freshman Mark Sanchez was 8-of-12 for 108 yards. White gained 99 yards on 6 carries, Bush had 32 on 4 rushes and Reed added 23 on 5 carries. Top pass catchers were wide receivers Chris McFoy (7 catches for 94 yards), Greig Carlson (5 for 102 yards) and Patrick Turner (3 for 53 yards).

Defensively, Jackson and Garratt each had 2 sacks. Luthur Brown had a scrimmage-leading 7 tackles, while fellow linebacker Rey Maualuga added 6 stops (2 for losses).

Pre-season No. 1-ranked USC opens its 2005 season at Hawaii on Sept. 3.

USCFootball.com will have an extensive photo feature from the scrimmage coming up

Edited by Antwan

JazzyJeff, I just have ONE serious question. Does EVERY school up there teach their linemen to try and take out the other teams knees? I ask this as the only thing my son told me about playing Kilburn was they were ALL trying to take out folks knees.

I know that basic linemen are taught to go lower than their opponent and ours try, but they do not try to cripple other players. A good hit across the thighs is one thing, but multiple shots directly at the knees is another.

Don't gt me wrong our guys are no angels either, but they do not delibrately try to hurt folks.

Hopefully BOTH teams learned something and brought something positive from the game.

Why not address my comments?  It was apparent you didn't read my posts before you spouted off about being disrespectful of the Riverdale team. 

Here is my post again...

The reading comprehension comment was in response to your total fabrication of my comments.  But instead of admitting it, you get on your soapbox.  I hardly think the reading comprehension comment is anything to get fired up about.  Besides, it assumes the Vols can read :thumb: .  I should have asked if they taught YOU reading comprehension.

825732998[/snapback]

For quite some time, I've noticed the juvenile thought processes displayed on this site. It's not only about reading comprehension, but about the ability to effectively express opinions while keeping the rhetoric on a dignified level. I guess this board is a reflection of society...and that's sad. But, alas, this isn't a school classroom, thank goodness. Have at it, guys/gals!

The coverage of the game consisted of two paragraphs about

7 pages deep in the Saturday morning Columbus paper.

I wonder what the coverage would have been like it they

had won?    :lol:

825733229[/snapback]

I know you are being facetious (at least I hope), but the Columbus Dispatch rarely gives much space to high school sports, other than during the wrestling and basketball state championship are held on the Ohio State campus. The paper is a shill for Ohio State athletics and football in particular.

However, it's still a large-city newspaper that has to cover a heck of a lot of teams on opening Friday night of the high school football season. I'm shocked it was more than a box score. Had Riverdale played Brookhaven, DeSales or Bishop Watterson, perhaps you may have seen a photo.

BTW, I still can't get over some posters referring to the size and speed of Kilbourne. Can someone please clarify this? The Wolves are often considered one of the smallest (ht/sz-wise) DI teams in the OCC (the mega conference Kilbourne belongs to).

Well, this board has deteriorated into personal attacks and name-calling. .... JJ, you don't know enough about me or my background to throw around those types of comments. You should have more class than that.

So, I will sign off on this board by, once again, asking you two questions. (If you had read MY posts, you would have seen them).

(1.) Why weren't you posting prior to the game, sharing your vast knowledge by telling everyone that Kilbourne was not a big deal and that a win by Riverdale would not mean very much in the long run?

(2.) If the Riverdale win was nothing special, then why are you wasting your time posting?

Well, this board has deteriorated into personal attacks and name-calling. .... JJ, you don't know enough about me or my background to throw around those types of comments. You should have more class than that.

So, I will sign off on this board by, once again, asking you two questions. (If you had read MY posts, you would have seen them).

(1.) Why weren't you posting prior to the game, sharing your vast knowledge by telling everyone that Kilbourne was not a big deal and that a win by Riverdale would not mean very much in the long run?

(2.) If the Riverdale win was nothing special, then why are you wasting your time posting?

825733351[/snapback]

No it hasn't. I questioned your reading comprehension abilities, and judging by the fact that you asking two questions that I already answered in an earlier post, I seem to be correct. I answered your questions in my 8:12 p.m. (board time) post. I'll cut and paste both answers for the second time as it appears that my post from 6:57 a.m. (board time) has been deleted. For what reason, I'm not sure. In any case, FairInMyFavor quoted me so I know it made the board at some point.

Reread my posts, I've had nothing derogatory to say about Riverdale, their players or even about Tennessee high school football. My posts were about Kilbourne, plain and simple. Do they teach reading comprehension in Tennessee? If I wanted to flame Tennessee, I wouldn't have tried to use facts or any other commentary. My posts were to inform and provoke thoughtful discussion. IMO, some can't handle the truth about Kilbourne. One poster claimed that Riverdale needed time to adjust to the size and speed of Kilbourne, which was hard to believe. Kilbourne is neither a quick or fairly large team. In the end, Riverdale did a fine job of representing Tennessee on the road, no one is debating that.

I also never claimed to be an expert, just "fairly knowledgeable" about Ohio DI football.

I've perused this board from time to time. I post on a number of national boards and wanted to get a background on MBA. In doing so, I caught the commentary of the Kilbourne/Riverdale tilt. It wasn't until I saw that the score on Sat. morning that I decided to come on over and check out what the Volunteer state had to say about this game. In fact, the poster Antwan and other TN posters came over to the Yappi board (the Ohio DI board) first.

Again, I NEVER posted that Riverdale "was nothing special." Why completely fabricate something that is flat out not true?

No it hasn't.  I questioned your reading comprehension abilities, and judging by the fact that you asking two questions that I already answered in an earlier post, I seem to be correct.  I answered your questions in my 8:12 p.m. (board time) post.  I'll cut and paste both answers for the second time as it appears that my post from 6:57 a.m. (board time) has been deleted.  For what reason, I'm not sure.  In any case, FairInMyFavor quoted me so I know it made the board at some point. 

Again, I NEVER posted that Riverdale "was nothing special."  Why completely fabricate something that is flat out not true?

825733417[/snapback]

You didn't say that persay...but your continuous references as to how mediocre Kilbourne is does seem to insinuate that. I again state the point that Riverdale won the game rather easily. I did not attend the game...nor have I seen Riverdale this season. Have you seen Kilbourne this season? If not...I think it's difficult for you to comment on their speed or size. You may base your opinion of them on last year or years before. That's about like basing how good a team is on their scrimmages.