High School Football on ESPN

ImaOWL

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't make it right. Take a knee to end the game, it is not like they couldn't of knelt it to end the game. Maybe I just believe in sportsmanship, and I just think Hoover should of knelt the ball to end the game. Tebow is the man, like to see him go to South Carolina and play in Spurrier's offense. Over 350 yards passing for Tebow, too bad his offensive line couldn't give him time at all.

825729688[/snapback]

When your up let some other people play that doesn't get to play...The guy got to go in on national TV and score a touchdown...There's nothing wrong with letting someone else get the ball who doesn't get to run that much run...

For all the hype, I think Tebow looks pretty average. He can't throw across his body and short hops a lot of balls. The junior Hoover qb has much more upside in my opinion. I think the best player on the field is the wr Cornelius.

825729664[/snapback]

Well when you are running for your life almost every play then it is understandable why you aren't throwing the ball to well 29-46 for 350 plus and 2 TDs, plus 56 yards rushing and another TD (I believe is what Tebow was today) pretty good against the # 2 team in the nation

That doesn't make it right. Take a knee to end the game, it is not like they couldn't of knelt it to end the game. Maybe I just believe in sportsmanship, and I just think Hoover should of knelt the ball to end the game. Tebow is the man, like to see him go to South Carolina and play in Spurrier's offense. Over 350 yards passing for Tebow, too bad his offensive line couldn't give him time at all.

825729688[/snapback]

He had pressure the whole game. Kudos to hoover's D-line!

Bottom line is that Nease couldn't stop Hoover's backup fullback from making about a 40-yard run. .... You can't put subs into the game, kids who work all week in practice basically as whipping boys for the starters, and then say "don't score and don't even try."

I thought ESPN did a good job with the broadcast. They treated it like they would a college game, with sideline reporting, graphics, interesting side stories and fairly good play-by-play and commentary. ... I thought Donnan made a strong and good statement when he said that high school football was the winner today. Good for him.

I also agree with the post about ESPN doing more games like this. They actually had the opportunity for a great doubleheader b/c Texas studs Southlake Carroll and Midland Lee are playing later this afternoon, but its not on anywhere. There is a high school game out of Pittsburgh on one of the Fox stations right now. .... But, hey, ESPN has all of that poker and X-Games stuff to broadcast. They ought to save that junk for Cheap Seats on Classic. :P

Anyway, ESPN or ESPN 2 will likely rerun the game after midnight sometime in the next few days. ... Keep this board open and everyone who watches should give their opinion on how Tennessee's best would stack up against the two teams. ... We already know how Riverdale stacked up against one of Ohio's best. thumb

Bottom line is that Nease couldn't stop Hoover's backup fullback from making about a 40-yard run. .... You can't put subs into the game, kids who work all week in practice basically as whipping boys for the starters, and then say "don't score and don't even try."

825729758[/snapback]

Thank you.

It wasn't the players fault, but the coach should of never called that play. It is called victory formation, that is what Hoover should of ran. You can justify it all you want, but the sportsmanlike thing to do would of been to run victory formation.

825729793[/snapback]

I see what you are saying. I don't know. I've had to call off dogs before in a basketball league I coached in, but I also made sure that if a player on my team hadn't scored that he got every opportunity to do so, regardless of score. Take care of your team first, then worry about the other team and if their feelings get hurt. That kid now has a lifelong memory and DVD of him breaking a 40 yeard run on ESPN to show his kids someday. It's the athletic highlight of his life. That said, I still don't see the harm in the call. It wasn't even a FB trap, it was a straight old fashioned 1950s FB dive. I'm sure to coach from Nease isn't too critical of it.

All that aside..........one thing that I have noticed is that all of these top teams at the high school level seem to run the spread offense. Why don't more teams in state run it? If you have a half decent QB that can just dump it in to a receiver on a short out, the defenses have to spread it out to respect the pass and open up the middle for a quick back to be able to run.

It wasn't the players fault, but the coach should of never called that play. It is called victory formation, that is what Hoover should of ran. You can justify it all you want, but the sportsmanlike thing to do would of been to run victory formation.

825729793[/snapback]

Well, I'm not gonna get into an argument over it, b/c it's not worth it. .... The kid who scored the TD might never have a bigger athletic moment in his life. ... As for the coach, all he did was send in a simple inside handoff play to a bunch of back-ups near midfield in the game's final seconds. ... The sportsmanlike thing to do would have been for Nease to make a tackle. .... By the way: Sportsmanship on Hoover's part was displayed on the game's final play when a Hoover player intercepted a pass, ran a few yards to make sure he was clear of the goalline and then took a knee. He could have kept on running, trying for a 99-yard TD, but he didn't.

Anyway, it was a fun high school football game to watch, and let's leave it at that. Hopefully, ESPN and Fox will have more occasion to televise top prep athletic events.

Well, I'm not gonna get into an argument over it, b/c it's not worth it. .... The kid who scored the TD might never have a bigger athletic moment in his life. ... As for the coach, all he did was send in a simple inside handoff play to a bunch of back-ups near midfield in the game's final seconds. ... The sportsmanlike thing to do would have been for Nease to make a tackle. .... By the way: Sportsmanship on Hoover's part was displayed on the game's final play when a Hoover player intercepted a pass, ran a few yards to make sure he was clear of the goalline and then took a knee. He could have kept on running, trying for a 99-yard TD, but he didn't.

Anyway, it was a fun high school football game to watch, and let's leave it at that. Hopefully, ESPN and Fox will have more occasion to televise top prep athletic events.

825731589[/snapback]

good post! I agree 100%

GErry Bertier... I usually agree with you on most things, however, it is the Ds job to stop the O. The sportsmanship was shown by running a dive play to the fullback, a 3 yard gain goes for a ton...that is the Ds fault!

Punch of the day: When was the last time UTM ran the victory play? :thumb:

How many times will they run it this year? 3 or 4??????

GErry Bertier... I usually agree with you on most things, however, it is the Ds job to stop the O.  The sportsmanship was shown by running a dive play to the fullback, a 3 yard gain goes for a ton...that is the Ds fault!

Punch of the day:  When was the last time UTM ran the victory play? :thumb:

How many times will they run it this year?  3 or 4??????

825731834[/snapback]

probably less than that!!!....hahah

# 5-0-0!!!!!!