McMinn / Ooltewah

TribeFan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I think the problem is coaching on McMinn's part. Not since I've been keeping up with High School Football can I remember having a season like they had last year. And they had lots of talent. They have lots of talent again this year. From what I hear from sources at McMinn, nobody wanted Daugherty as coach in the first place. Can anybody clarify this for me? Anyway, my prediction is:

Upset (yeah I'm callin this one baby).

McMinn-10

Ooltewah-6

Since noone else will predict an upset, maybe Ill get lucky and be right for a change haha.

I think McMinn did complete one pass last year against Ooltewah. But I know Ooltewah completed just two passes against McMinn in that same game. Of course when you run like they did last year...

As for the comment about coaching. I'm not sure whether Daugherty was the best coach for the job or not, but McMinn only had eleven seniors on last year's team and they only have seven this year. Word around Athens is Coach Mullinax saw this coming and got out when he did.

As for their talent, it was young talent. McMinn started eight soph last year. I would like to hear of another 5A school that started that many young guys that did better than 3-7. Now, this year's junior class is somewhat talented, the soph class is pretty good, and they have the largest freshman class in several years so the future looks bright for McMinn. Let's give Coach Daugherty a chance before writing him off.

Mullinax got out when he could?! Great leader! I don't know, I just think that its very unadmirable when a coach decides not to take a challenge of a young team. Also, it would be very tough to succeed with so many sophomores starting... Ooltewah started a lot of sophomores in 2003 and went 3-7. Last year, with that same group being juniors the Owls went 8-3, and now with that same group being seniors, the Owls are 2-0 so far...

You know, I think the problem is coaching on McMinn's part.  Not since I've been keeping up with High School Football can I remember having a season like they had last year.  And they had lots of talent.  They have lots of talent again this year.  From what I hear from sources at McMinn, nobody wanted Daugherty as coach in the first place.  Can anybody clarify this for me?  Anyway, my prediction is:

Upset (yeah I'm callin this one baby).

McMinn-10

Ooltewah-6

Since noone else will predict an upset, maybe Ill get lucky and be right for a change haha.

825735268[/snapback]

NOBODY CAN HOLD THIS TEAM TO 6 POINTS!

You have to understand that Mullinax had retired once already prior to 2003. He also didn't have a crystal ball to see what kind of talent was coming up. McMinn county doesn't have a feeder program that other counties have. Little league, yes, but they are in no way ofiliated with the high school team. I am only speculating but Mullinax may not have wanted to spend his last years at McMinn with mediocre teams. I would assume that would have been hard after turning that program around and having 18 successful years there. He obviously isn't afraid of rebuilding a program. He came back out of retirement last year to coach a team in Georgia (as so many TN teachers do) that was 0-10 the previous year.