Big Games in Memphis!

kwc

I'm going to have a w/e full of football. Friday I plan on going to the Whitehaven vs Germantown game and I will be pulling for Whitehaven. Saturday, the morning starts with my sons pee-wee football games, then later that evening I will be at the Melrose vs East game. Then Monday ... Memphis vs Ole Miss. Man ... what a w/e.

I'm thinking the Whitehaven/Germantown game will be close ... I'm hoping home field advantage makes the diff. This is always a big game. 1st Region game in one of the most loaded regions in the state with Whitestation, Collierville, and Houston all vying for playoff spots. This is a pivitol region game in 8-5A. both teams played quality 4A opponents last w/e. I know Whitehaven's 'D' is vastly improved then last years ... this is going to be a good game.

The Melrose/East game is going to be exciting as well. I don't think East's defense is up to snuff. Melrose wins this one. East has a lot of weapons on offense ... but the Melrose defense isn't going to give up too many points.

I'm pulling for Memphis to beat Ole Miss. I'm hoping Joseph Doss from Melrose has a breakout game this year to take pressure off of the QB and DeAngelo.

kwc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have a w/e full of football. Friday I plan on going to the Whitehaven vs Germantown game and I will be pulling for Whitehaven. Saturday, the morning starts with my sons pee-wee football games, then later that evening I will be at the Melrose vs East game. Then Monday ... Memphis vs Ole Miss. Man ... what a w/e.

I'm thinking the Whitehaven/Germantown game will be close ... I'm hoping home field advantage makes the diff. This is always a big game. 1st Region game in one of the most loaded regions in the state with Whitestation, Collierville, and Houston all vying for playoff spots. This is a pivitol region game in 8-5A. both teams played quality 4A opponents last w/e. I know Whitehaven's 'D' is vastly improved then last years ... this is going to be a good game.

The Melrose/East game is going to be exciting as well. I don't think East's defense is up to snuff. Melrose wins this one. East has a lot of weapons on offense ... but the Melrose defense isn't going to give up too many points.

I'm pulling for Memphis to beat Ole Miss. I'm hoping Joseph Doss from Melrose has a breakout game this year to take pressure off of the QB and DeAngelo.

kwc

825735917[/snapback]

That sounds like a pretty good weekend KDub. Is Vaughn playing for East this weekend? I know he has been hurt.

Home field does not seem to help when Germantown and Whitehaven play. Another big matchup inthe region is Houston-Collierville. Is Collierville as good as advertised? I don't know.

825737049[/snapback]

Quite right pigskinred about the home field advantage thing ... that's why I said ... I hope.

I wasn't aware that the Houston/Collierville game is tonight. Man! Big big big region games going on. That whole Collierville-Houston-Germantown dynamic is curious. This will be a head-knocker between to neighboring schools. The winner gets bragging rights in the community AND one upsmanship in the region. All the necessary ingredients for a slobberknocker! Throw home field advantage out the window in this game as well! I will be keeping my eye on tonights scores, for sure.

k

That is a BIG win for Whitehaven.  Anybody have any details on the game?

825737496[/snapback]

Do you believe in miracles!?

Well, let me tell you--Whitehaven's win over Germantown was nothing short of a miracle!!

With 4 minutes to go in the game, Germantown received posession @ its own 20 (after a WH punt into the end zone), leading 24-19. All it needed to do was run out the clock. Whitehaven had 2 timeouts.....Gtown prceeded to pickup a first-down. During that drive, WH had to blow 1 of its 2 timeouts, due to confusion on defense. 2-minutes or so left in game....Gtown then picked up a 2nd 1st down...After several WH stops, Gtown was then facing 2nd & 7, from its own 40 yard line or so. No gain. WH called its last TO... 3rd down = 1 yard gain. Brings up 4th down. Clock running...

Faced with a 4th & 4 with 40-odd seconds left in the game (Ball on its own 45 or so), Gtown allowed max time to run of the clock, then called timeout with 25 seconds or so, left in the game. It opted NOT to punt! After 4th down run failed to p/u 1st down, WH took over, on downs. 17 secs remaining in the game.

WH's ensuing pass attempt was deflected, and kinda just floated up in the air. Miraculously, it fell into the hands of a alert whitehaven player! He ran the ball all the way down to Gtown 10 yard line, before being knocked out of bounds!! 1 Second left in the game!

Last play of game...WH threw a fade pass into the left corner of end zone. No catch. Wait....Gtown was called for pass interference (it was VERY OBVIOUS. There was NO WAY the refs could NOT have flagged the defender. He literally mugged the receiver TWICE, while the ball was in the air)! One more play, from Gtowns 5 yard line....WH's QB rolled right and spotted a receiver, in the right corner of the end zone. TOUCHDOWN! GAME OVER! Whitehaven wins 25-24!

Germantown's offensive line dominated Whitehaven MOST of the game, as it overcame a 9 or 10-pt 2nd-half defecit. Gtowns linebackers (3-4 defense) flat-out smothered Whitehaven running game, MOST of the game. They spent most of the night, in WH's backfield! Whitehaven's big-play passing game destroyed Germantown! Both teams capitalized on Turnovers.

At the end of the day, Germantown's ill-fated decision NOT to punt led to this truely miraculous finish--a Whitehaven win (or more accurately stated, a Germantown LOSS).

It's really a shame that Germantown lost this game (no--I'm NOT a Gtown fan. I'm just a NEUTRAL football fan). They really should be 2-0, on the season, not 1-win and 1 loss. I felt that Germantown was the better team, overall. If these 2 played 10 times, Gtown would likely win 7 of them! Gtown absolutely MUST work on pass defense! Whitehaven absolutely MUST work on CONSISTENT run-defense, as Gtwon flat out RAMMED the ball down WH's throat, at will, most of the time.

--TraderB