Best wrestlers never to win state

luchador

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincoln Williams (or Williamson) from Dobyns-Bennett was a 2x finalist. In '90 he and Ricky Johnson from Chatt. Central met in the 2nd round of state and Lincoln beat him in a war of a match.

Speaking of Johnsons, what about Ricky's younger brother, Mark? Another 2x finalist.

Dont forget the two Ryan guys: John Michael Garrett and Jonathon Goble. Both were 2x finalist with a unique twist. Both lost to Norfleet in the finals and both were not healthy for their senior year finals. Garrett was vomiting all day before the finals and Goble was injuried and nearly lost his life in a auto accident during his senior year. Let's just say that God must have had other plans for these two student/athletes.

Another one was Ron Mitchell (Mike Craft's brother-in-law) East Ridge (1979) 155 lbs. That had to be the toughest weight class I can remember. There were 4 outstanding guys from the same region. I can't remember all the names (where's Danny Gilbert when you need him) but there was Mitchell from East Ridge, Humphries from Central, the guy from Red Bank, and I think the eventual state champion from Baylor. Those guys spent the whole year swapping place finishes it every tournament in town. Mitchell and Humphries wrestled to a draw in the state semis (before sudden death) the criteria came down to referee decision and they chose Humphries. That was still the worst call I ever saw since Mitchell was the aggressor the entire match. I think the guy that won came in 4th in the region. All 4 guys were state champion quality.