should coach play parents or the talent?

cutecommish21

I'd have to agree with the majority and say that about 99% of the time, coaches play talent. And a certain person on coacht likes to bash Coach Woods here at Morristown West and say he plays favorites , too...That simply is not true..look at the 2003 State Championship team and look how many got offered college scholarships..I can name 11 that got offered, and there are probably more... Anywaqy, whoever started this topic, get a life...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes talent, but more often the difference is preparation. I think that the posters who actually believe someone plays a booster's kid or teacher's kid over a more talented, dedicated, prepared player are smokin something. You think if Gerald Riggs is on the bench and Bubba Leroy is starting that fans will tolerate it? Heck no! So now it comes down to who's opinion is used in determining the best players. Parents know about one kid. Coaches see them all every day and make educated decisions with facts that the parents don't have. If you think you kid is getting a raw deal, transfer!

Ole Dad

Talent! Talent! Talent! 

Talent wins ballgames!!!

825741264[/snapback]

That's right and I'm glad you pointed out about the coaches seeing all the players every day. So many parents have no idea what their "superstar" kid is doing when he/she should be practicing, working out, studying film, watching and learning, or simply keeping their mouths shut so others can listen and learn. More often than not the reason your kid isn't playing is due to one or two reasons; either A, he isn't good enough or B, he goofs off and doesn't work hard enough or take it serious enough to play. And chances are you have no idea because your kid, who has been told all his life that he does nothing wrong, doesn't tell you the truth about it.

It takes talent, but more often the difference is preparation. I think that the posters who actually believe someone plays a booster's kid or teacher's kid over a more talented, dedicated, prepared player are smokin something.  You think if Gerald Riggs is on the bench and Bubba Leroy is starting that fans will tolerate it? Heck no! So now it comes down to who's opinion is used in determining the best players.  Parents know about one kid. Coaches see them all every day and make educated decisions with facts that the parents don't have.  If you think you kid is getting a raw deal, transfer!

Ole Dad

825741299[/snapback]

I agree with you talent wins ballgames but i think some parents think that cuz a sophomore starts over their JR or SR son that the coach is playing favorites but the coach knows best and is not going to throw away a season. If these kids are given support who knows how good they could be. I personaly was treated unfairly because I had a SR in front of me my sophomore year. We halfed time that year and I even played better than him at times but still never started untill the fowling year. By then i had earned the respect of my fellow teammates and my coaches. And while some still put me down because I started that next year i was relyed on more than any other player and one day i was the player to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with playing a kid who you might be friends with the parents. I mean, if you were hiring someone for a job wouldn't you hire the kid whose parents you know over the kid you no nothing about. Even if the other guy is "potentially" a little better friendship should always win out. After all life is 10% what you know and 90% who you know. If you don't like it make friends with the coach!!!

What's wrong with playing a kid who you might be friends with the parents.  I mean, if you were hiring someone for a job wouldn't you hire the kid whose parents you know over the kid you no nothing about.  Even if the other guy is "potentially" a little better friendship should always win out.  After all life is 10% what you know and 90% who you know.  If you don't like it make friends with the coach!!!

825755751[/snapback]

stupid post.

What do you think. Should the coach play the parents or the talent ? Does this happen in your town ?

825740525[/snapback]

Of course the coach should play the talent. If he dont he wont be a coach there long after they keep losing cause all his talent is on the sideline.

They rarely happens where someone gets played cause of who there parents are.