Golden Tate

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good of a talent he is, his blocking is terrible. On week one vs. FR, on the comcast game they were blasting him for just standing still(not blocking) on plays not for him, one time getting his QB creamed. He's similar to randy moss, he will take a play off when its not for him.(some don't blame him since he is involved with 80% of all snaps offense and defense, returns kicks and punts).

I don't know about 'Best All-Around in State,' but he's obviously a gamer. Gaston Miller (from Riverdale) might have a say in that title. Golden's attitude will determine his success. When you're young and that good, it's hard to be humble I know, but...

Roger Herndon (last year's 3A Mr. Football Back) was a gamer, and his attitude was always in check. He's a humble kid and always showed great respect for his opponents and teammates. Most of that influence came from his parents (and I suppose grandparents) and coaches. He's not playing this fall and that's a real shame.

As for any player taking plays off: If I'm the coach (or parent), I'd let him know my displeasure about it. In my opinion, the ONLY time you can take plays off is when you're on the sideline resting or injured. Lots of people in this world don't have the healthy bodies needed to compete in sports. It's a privilege and a blessing. And when you're competing as a team, you should go 100%, 100% of the time.

Golden Tate is a very good player with great athletic ability. Most people are lucky to watch a player of Tate's ability much less play with or against them. Roger Herndon is a great kid, student, and was a good player but he is not close to being the athlete or football player that Golden is now or he would have been offered a scholarship to an SEC school. Golden Tate will be the #1 prospect in Tennessee next year because he has what you cannot teach; speed.

Golden Tate is a very good player with great athletic ability.  Most people are lucky to watch a player of Tate's ability much less play with or against them.  Roger Herndon is a great kid, student,  and was a good player but he is not close to being the athlete or football player that Golden is now or he would have been offered a scholarship to an SEC school.  Golden Tate will be the #1 prospect in Tennessee next year because he has what you cannot teach; speed.

825750298[/snapback]

There's lots of speed out there and next year won't be any different. I heard Deion Sanders, a guy who was pretty fast back in the day, describe speed this way just the other day: He said some players are fast in the 40 by timed speed, but are faster when you put them next to somebody else...on the field. Roger had (has?) THAT kind of speed.

So, I disagree with you that 'he is not close to being the athlete or football player that Golden is now...' And like I said, attitudes mean a lot and G's attitude is lackin,' from what I've observed on the field. If I had to pick 'em today, I'd take a team of Roger's over a team of Golden's (I never observed the reigning Mr. Football take a play off...ever! In fact, that's when he'd make you pay - when you took one off). Too bad we can't see who wins in this one.

5sportdad,

Again, Roger was a very good high school football player but he must not have had enough athletic ability to help win a national championship or he would have signed to play in one of the major conferences. That does not mean that he is not a good player but the big time college coaches did not offer him the opportunity to play at their school for some reason. It is my understanding that he had his heart set on playing for Vanderbilt but things didn't work out.

Golden is a much better player now than Roger ever will be just based on his athletic ability. Yes, Roger worked very hard and had a great attitude (which I liked) but college coaches want to see athletic ability first and foremost. Don't be shocked to see Golden playing football in Coral Gables in the future.

With his grades, did Roger ever consider playing in the Ivy League? That would be D-1 and IMO be better fit than the SEC or ACC for his ability.

I heard that Roger may be going to Vandy beginning this winter???  5SportDad, can you confirm?

825750444[/snapback]

Situation looks very promising. Best case..... winter, worse case.....summer. But then again...... never assume anything.

Trying to label one player as "the best in the state" is ridiculous and not fair to GT or any other top players. Too many factors come into play. Attitude, ability, speed, character, willingness to give it all up for the team, etc... Throw these in with the total number of players that you have across the state and you can quickly see that many teams are full of "best players in the state". GT is obviously ONE of the top players in the state but when you start comparing other players from Div. 1, all 5 classes, and then look at Memphis, middle Tennessee, and Knoxville, it just doesn't add up. Maybe the best in the division, the region, etc. would be a more accurate.