Should a team keep pounding their competition?

tuffnstuff

I read an article recently about this in College Football. The article said that Lou Holtz, many, many years ago was ticked one year when Bobby Bowden at Florida State beat his team like a drum. Lou felt that he ran the score up on him. Lou said after the game he took it up with Bowden at midfield and Bowden's reply was......"It is my job to score. It is your job to stop me." Lou Holtz said he never questioned another blowout score again.

I would agree, but you are talking about college football (big time college football) who have a say in who their players are. Most of the schools who are getting blown out are not a "Notre Dame".

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally feel that if a coach has pulled their starters and cleared the bench he/she should allow those players that in many cases get very little playing time to play at their best.

kickgrass, I agree with you and I've seen the frustration fouls that can result when you just play keep-away. The games that drive me nuts, however, are the 20- something to zero blow-outs where the stronger team's top strikers and mids somehow all manage multiple goals before they take a permanent seat. If a team is up 5-0 in 20 minutes and the reserves play the balance of the match and the final is 12-0, I have far fewer problems than where starters are hitting their hat tricks in the the second half leading to the same score.

I also think a weaker team's coach can (and should) blunt a superior soccer team to keep a score respectable. Catenaccio isn't pretty, but neither is loosing by double digits in a wide open match against superior talent. How many times have you seen a talented player on a weak team standing alone and useless at the half-line while his or her less skilled teammates are getting killed in the back. Soccer is a game that requires thoughtful adjustments and, sometimes, a dose of humility.

Edited by hoya75

I won't mention the teams but we recently played a weak team. The score was 5-0 after 5 minutes. Coach pulled the starting forwards. The score went to 10-0 after 20 minutes and he pulled all the starters and played all Freshman and the score went to 15-0. He put the Freshman offense on defense and the Freshman defense on offense and the final score was 20-0. The previous year went pretty much the same and our coach told the players at that game not to score any more goals after 10. The other coach complained stating she would rather be scored on rather than be toyed with. These things happen. I can only say I admire those players on the losing team for coming out and playing knowing full well what is going to happen. My son once played on a weak traveling team and regulary was beaten by 10 goals - it's not fun. Also, our girls never "rubbed it in thier face" and were gracious in the way they won as the other team was in losing.

Edited by soccer67

Some districts try to eliminate these, by putting in clauses into their bylaws.

Two examples 1. By not forcing teams to play superior teams, and allow them to take a 3-0 loss in the district standings. Which would allow both teams to play a team closer to their ability. 2. By settting a limit on goal differential.

We played Franklin's JV team early this year score was 7-0 at halftime. Their coach instructed his kids to only score off crosses-they scored one goal in the second half final 8-0 my team had no idea what had happened they left the field feeling good about themselves and the result of the second half. I thanked both coaches for their courtesy and my team walked off with a sense of pride.

i think its inappropriate for a team to run up the score on a less talented team, but sometimes it is hard to purposely miss a goal without being too obvious. if i was on a team losing say, 10-0, i think it would make me feel even worse seeing the other team purposely miss goals as to not make the score differential too high. i would rather lose fighting than see the opposing team not give us their best. but then again, i would want my team to still have its dignity left... this is a touchy subject

Edited by icebox

well everyone has to remember the majority of teams in the state only started about 7 or 8 years ago thats one reason 2nd it is the major metropolitan areas that that have real success in my poll there are only 6 rural area schools in my AAA top 30 and another 6 rural schools in AA/A top 20 1997- 2004 only 15 schools in AAA have went to state compare in basketball from that same 7 year span about 34 teams have went to state but this is in all sports teams beat by large margins is never going to stop so you might has well :D then :D

when AAA soccer was formed back in 97 these are the 15 teams that have made it to state

farragut

bearden

dobyns-bennett

oak ridge

soddy-daisy

ooltewah

tullahoma

blackman

hendersonville

franklin

brentwood

houston