Chop Block

Pauladcc

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can tell by my screen name I never played football. So could someone please explain what a chop block is and if any form of it is legal? I heard some coaches teaching their kids to do it. I thought it was illegal.

A chop block is when a player throws himself through the legs of anohter player,

it is legal in between the tackles as long as the person being blocked is not already engaged with another blocker, also it can be used in the open field as long as contact is made above the waist first and that does include hands, so if the person getting blocked puts his hands out to protect himself it is legal.

A chop block is when a player throws himself through the legs of anohter player,

it is legal in between the tackles as long as the person being blocked is not already engaged with another blocker, also it can be used in the open field as long as contact is made above the waist first and that does include hands, so if the person getting blocked puts his hands out to protect himself it is legal.

Thanks for the info

Prophet is not correct. The block he described is a cut block, which is legal between the tackles by people who at the time the ball is snapped are in the "free blocking zone" (a four yard box around the ball). Cut blocks are legal all over the field in college and pro football, but only in the box in high school unless first contact is above the waist.

A chop block is a high-low double team and is illegal at all levels of football.

So there is a difference between a cut and a chop.

Rule 2 Sect. 3 ART. 9 . . . Chop block is a delayed block at the knees or below against an opponent who is in contact with a teammate of the blocker in the free-blocking zone.

A chop block can take place as long as it is simultaneous contact

A chop block can also occur when it is not simultaneous as long as it is above the Knees

Dhack

Rule 2 Sect. 3 ART. 9 . . . Chop block is a delayed block at the knees or below against an opponent who is in contact with a teammate of the blocker in the free-blocking zone.

A chop block can take place as long as it is simultaneous contact

A chop block can also occur when it is not simultaneous as long as it is above the Knees

Dhack

Think you got you terminology a little mixed up. The rule you quoted and your adlib contradict. A simultanaeous contact block isn't a chop block regardless of where they are on B1's body, it's just a doubleteam. Chop block above the knees? Your second line is also not a Chop Block, but you're correct that what you described is legal. Again, that's just a doubleteam. Chop block above the knees doesn't even make sense.

There are two situations where it is actually a defined Chop Block and is illiegal. If the block meets the definition of a Chop Block it Illegal 100% of the time. Here's the only two examples of a Chop Block. I paraphrased the rule book. Didn't feel like lookin for my rule book.

#1 A1 blocks B1 HIGH and A2 blocks B1 LOW after a delay (not simultaneous)

#2 A1 blocks B1 LOW and A2 blocks B1 LOW after a delay (not simultaneous)

The key to defining an Illegal Chop Block is that the 2nd hit is LOW and is Delayed. Red81 defined the Cut Block correctly in this thread. His definition of the Chop Block was half correct, as a Chop is also defined as Low hit Low Hit after delay (#2 above).

Hope that clears that up...

i think all contact at the Knees should be outlawed....It isnt supposed to happen but every week i see a linebacker comeing on a blitz being cut by the fb, fb does a good job on the defensive in on quick passes as well....when lineman are cutting or chopping is is because they are not physical enough to take the player head to head....I understand this as well....but i think they should outdo with the chop and go with mole...which is where you make contact as usualy then drop to your hands and knees and roll into the other player. this reduces the chance of injury...the cut block does not hurt people if they know it is coming and 9 times out of 10 does nothing.....now the chop, that is dirty, that is the old high low, on a chop the one guy stands a man up and the other come in at the knees aiming for the side...this is when kneees get torn up......It is all part of the game they way it is played right now and I dont support any more rule changes at this time...Rules have almost made it impossible to play secondary, if you play the ball and bump the reciever (pass interference) if you play the receiver and he doesnt catch it (face gaudring penalty) basically they are saying you have to be a great athlete, and lets face it at 90 percent of the high school around you have average defensive backs

As a freshman I was instructed to cut block on kickoff returns and as a result many of the opposing teams' players were injured. When i say cut block I don't mean make contact above the waist and then drop down, I was instructed to go for knees/shins. I have seen first hand how dangerous hitting the knees/below the knees can be and what worries me the most is that some coaches do encourage their players to illegally chop block. All hitting of the knees and below for the purpose of blocking should be illegal.

There is nothing illegal about a "cut block" but a "chop block" in my mind is different. When a player is engaged with another player and someone tries to take out his knees thats the illegal part. It is understood that the player is in contact with another and therefore cannot protect himself from the insuing block. This call is 99% a judgement call usually made by the Umpire or the head official. You rarely ever see this call because things happen in the trenches so fast that they sometimes go unnoticed. I saw most of this type of blocking in college on pass plays or double teams. On pass plays, a tackle might be engaged with a d-end and be beat inside the guard (who is uncovered) might come to help and go for the legs and a chop block is called, because the tackle was still engaged. Although it can be dangerous this is football if you dont like the risk or contact play tennis.