5 Rivers Conference

yellowjacket2

As things begin to shake out, it looks as if the 5 Rivers Conf. could be down again this year. With Morristown West the only team making improvement from last year. How do you rate it??

Overall conf. record 18-24 /w 11 of those wins from M'town West (6-0) and Daniel Boone (5-1) 2 teams in the conf. are at 0-6

Wins outside the conf. of the 18 wins only 8 come from outside the conf. and of those 8 ,5 come from lower classifications.

Edited by yellowjacket2

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About three weeks ago I thought the 5 Rivers was way down compared to the Mountain Lakes. Now, I've changed my mind. I think they both are down. M. West is the best of the two conferences but that isn't a surprise. South is #1 in the Mountain Lakes and I think West, East, and Boone could all beat them. The fact of the matter is Northeast TN isn't a good football area. With the exception of the Jeff. Co. 1987 team, no one has won a State Championship from these regions (East of Knoxville) in any classification. We have good players scattered out among the teams but not like the major metro areas. Lets just enjoy what we have and see how far we can go.

About three weeks ago I thought the 5 Rivers was way down compared to the Mountain Lakes. Now, I've changed my mind. I think they both are down. M. West is the best of the two conferences but that isn't a surprise. South is #1 in the Mountain Lakes and I think West, East, and Boone could all beat them. The fact of the matter is Northeast TN isn't a good football area. With the exception of the Jeff. Co. 1987 team, no one has won a State Championship from these regions (East of Knoxville) in any classification. We have good players scattered out among the teams but not like the major metro areas. Lets just enjoy what we have and see how far we can go.

Sevier County won the 1999 5A championship. I'm no mapquest but pretty sure that Sevierville is east of Knoxville.

As things begin to shake out, it looks as if the 5 Rivers Conf. could be down again this year. With Morristown West the only team making improvement from last year. How do you rate it??

Overall conf. record 18-24 /w 11 of those wins from M'town West (6-0) and Daniel Boone (5-1) 2 teams in the conf. are at 0-6

Wins outside the conf. of the 18 wins only 8 come from outside the conf. and of those 8 ,5 come from lower classifications.

Most all teams and conferences have their ups and downs. The 5 rivers is no exception. Go back to 2002-2003. Both Greenville, and M-West were top 10 4A teams in the state. Even M-East was pretty good, although the record was not outstanding they played the two top ranked teams already mentioned, plus both Knox Powell and Knox Central both top 10 4A teams, plus good 5A teams Science Hill, and Jeff County with Jeff Jennings, and Scooter Houston and Company. Greenville lost only to M-West, Central only to Maryville, and Powell lost twice one to Central and one to Maryville. That is a nasty schedule for any 4A school, and even David Crockett and Volunteer had good teams both I beleive were 6-4 on the season, and Cocke County was 5-5. I wouldn't call that a down year at all.

In 2003-2004 M-West was class 4A state runner up, and M-East, Greenville, and Cherokee also had very good teams, with three of those teams defeating their Mountain Lakes foes in the playoffs.

Last year their was not a dominate team, but this year both West and Boone are having good years and there is still time for Greenville and East to turn things around. The Five Rivers is a little lean record wise at this time, but they will be back.

Could all beat the rebels? Didn't Boone lose to North?

Could all beat the rebels? Didn't Boone lose to North?

I said they could beat them. I didn't say they will. Boone has the potential to beat South, but potential isn't worth anything unless you execute. South and Mo. West will probably play in the Quarterfinals.

The point is these two regions top to bottom are average this year. However, I believe top to bottom year in and year out the Five Rivers Conference is a better conference.

Maroonandgray

As for Sevier County in 1995, I really dont consider them to be in Northeast Tennessee. They were a product of being in a messed up region based on re-classification.

Sevier County won the 1999 5A championship. I'm no mapquest but pretty sure that Sevierville is east of Knoxville.

You are right about Sevier Co. It is East of Knoxville and they beat a very good Glencliff team that year 31-27 at Vanderbilt Stadium. In front of one of the largest crowds I have seen at a championship game. :justwrestle:

Your right THS.... when Boone got beat, blown out by Sullivan North, that killed any thoughts of Mo West having any trouble winning 5 Rivers.

If anyone actually saw the North game, Boone was plauged by turnovers and just didn't play like they usually did. Several times North converted on 3rd long/4th short- Boone didn't prepare for the game like they should have, after beating Cherokee seemed M.West was the only thing people were talking about.

Boone has played most of the season as an underated football team, being picked to loose multiple games and most of the time they have come through. I even like playing as an underdog, it has grown on me.

If anyone actually saw the North game, Boone was plauged by turnovers and just didn't play like they usually did. Several times North converted on 3rd long/4th short- Boone didn't prepare for the game like they should have, after beating Cherokee seemed M.West was the only thing people were talking about.

Boone has played most of the season as an underated football team, being picked to loose multiple games and most of the time they have come through. I even like playing as an underdog, it has grown on me.

You wern't and underdog when you played North........

:thumb:

5 Rivers goes as far as Mo. West goes.

I agree GLee.

The only team worth anything in the 5 rivers is Mo. West. And judging from how they fared two weeks ago against Knox West (41-38) I don't think they will make it to the State Championship this year. Fortunately for them, they won't have to play anyone until the Semi-finals. The only team that should prove to be a roadblock for West is South. And I don't see that happening either. But the season ends with Maryville the day after Thanksgiving. And believe me, we have recent memories of how that feels.

I agree GLee.

The only team worth anything in the 5 rivers is Mo. West. And judging from how they fared two weeks ago against Knox West (41-38) I don't think they will make it to the State Championship this year. Fortunately for them, they won't have to play anyone until the Semi-finals. The only team that should prove to be a roadblock for West is South. And I don't see that happening either. But the season ends with Maryville the day after Thanksgiving. And believe me, we have recent memories of how that feels.

Mo. east might surprise you. I know every team must overcome injuries, but if, and it is a big if, they get healthy they can very well win out and finish 6-4. Their four losses have been to four pretty good football teams, and only the Carter game was a not close and they lost five or so starters during that game alone to injuries, which totally disrupted their game plan. Momentum is a funny thing and if they should win out they could surprise some people, after all you say West is the only team worth anything in the 5 rivers, but the canes 21-12 loss was not a blowout, and with a break here or there, healthy players, and a little momentum who knows what might happen.