Best High School Offense

mcfan10

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play football, but I think the shotgun works better in high school as long as the team has a decent quarterback and athletic receivers. If not, the I would be a better choice. Also, the shotgun would allow an athletic quarterback to scramble and pick up a chunk of yards occasionally.

Most high school teams would be better off running the I formation or any other formation based on the run. But, like you said if you have a star Quarterback or somebody that can sling the ball halfway decent, then you have to use your talent wisely and throw the ball some. Something to remember, there are several teams that can't stop the run, so why pass at all. Throwing the ball does increase chances of turning the ball over.

Most high school teams would be better off running the I formation or any other formation based on the run. But, like you said if you have a star Quarterback or somebody that can sling the ball halfway decent, then you have to use your talent wisely and throw the ball some. Something to remember, there are several teams that can't stop the run, so why pass at all. Throwing the ball does increase chances of turning the ball over.

Of what I've seen the run might be better at the high school level but I'd still try to throw it if I were a coach.

Edited by mcfan10

To be truly successful there needs to be at least a 30-70 mix of the two. That question tends to make me think back to a quote from Bob Beatty (the coach of Louisville Trinity) from back when he had Brian Brohm. He said that there were only... I think three game where he had thrown the ball more than (a very high percent) of the time... they lost all three. Similarly, if you don't throw the ball and you're playing a good team, they can stack against the run. Only in keeping a team off balance by mixing up under tackle and shotgun (utilizing the pass and run out of both) can you expect serious success.

Wing-T

I am a defensive guy and i know for a fact that a wing-t offense is the easiest offense to prepare for. I for one love Jo Byrns offense, they will spread u out and throw the ball, spread u out and run, bunch it up and throw the ball, and bunch it up and run the ball. We run and pass 50 50. Mixing it up w/ both run and pass is the best.

Truth of the matter is that very few high schools have the combination of a great QB plus 3 or 4 good recievers that is required to make a spread effective. Further, the spread is based on timing...a timing that is very hard to achieve given the limited practice time available in High School...

Defensively I find it much easier to defend the spread OR a 90% run offense like the Veer or Wing T than I do a balanced offense...If someone does one or the other more than 75% of the time then all you have to do is figure out to stop that thing and you have them.

The best offense is the one that maximizes your talent and ability to win a ball game. It also has to be one that allows the coach a flexible approach to game planning when going against defenses that are geared to take away phases of your game.

You shouldn't run a spread offense if you don't have talent at the skill positions. You can't run a ground attack if you are weak in the backfield and line. Too many coaches though, are not flexible in their approach and insist on running the same offense year in and out-regardless of their talent pool.

Truth of the matter is that very few high schools have the combination of a great QB plus 3 or 4 good recievers that is required to make a spread effective. Further, the spread is based on timing...a timing that is very hard to achieve given the limited practice time available in High School...

That is not entirely true. You need a good qb that makes good decisions, and some receivers that run good routes and make catches. You also need a pretty good line to give the qb a little bit of time. If you throw a bunch of short passes, and get pretty good at it, you will find that you are moving the ball just as effective as if you were punching it down someones throat with the run. I have always enjoyed a good running game, but what you don't realize is that when you spread it out and throw, it opens the run up a lot more. Get a couple of average running backs in the spread and it will surprise you. But the most important thing in running the spread is total dedication by the entire coaching staff. Yes you do give up a little bit of defensive time, but it all pays off in the end. It makes you work that much harder in the limited defensive time you have. But when you're scoring 35 per game, you just gotta hold em to 34! :( The best offense is the one that your staff believes in and that your kids buy into. :justwrestle: