Best High School Offense

mcfan10

Since Marshall County runs a spread offense (and gettin beat) it's made me think. Which is better the I or Shotgun in high school?

Please post what your high school runs and which one you like.

The I, to much rome for error with a bunch of 16-18 year old guys running around. It's hard to be consistant running a spread O do to drops by WR, blits and no run game. You better have a great D if you plane on running one in 5A. Smyrna for ex. acouple of years ago ran the spread beatiful and it was scary to watch Wolke on film, but the O was not consitant becaues of presure from D's like Riverdale and a few others.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wing -T teams are fun to watch when they bravely send out one receiver and hope the QB connects on a pass. Those deadly one-receiver sets just screw up most defensive coaches. Also, since they don't get to practice against passing attacks, the DB's on a wing-T team end up getting eaten alive by passing teams.

However, strictly passing teams are fun to watch if they have the ball inside the 10 and try to figure out how to run block. They'll take a 10 yard penalty just to give themselves room to maneuver.

by the way their are wing-t packages in which you have more than one reciever

i am just a firm believer that in high school football you have to controll the clock and you practice passing so you can do it when you have to, but i want to gain 4 or 5 yards a play and just chew at the clock limiting the oposing teams time with the ball because you don't have to score 50 points to win a game you just have to score one more than the other team

Edited by 5A football fan

Frankly, the formation isnt as much important as the coaches and the talent in the positions. Whatever offensive formation you run, theres no boubt that it HAS TO BE balanced! The best way to have an unstoppable offense is to have a game plan with a backup plan, being able to go deep, throw quick, or slam the ball up the middle out of almost any formation is what will win teams ballgames.

I think the key is balance. You look at the top of the 5A poll right now and you see proficient running teams, but they all have QB's and WR's who can threaten a secondary. Riverdale, Wilson Central, Ravenwood, and Oak Ridge can all chuck it around some if they have to. Conversely, look what has happened to Antioch over the past year or two. They have great running backs and a salty defense, but their passing game is non-existent. On the other hand, you don't just want to be a spread, four wide shotgun team, because short yardage and red zone issues arise. My utopia in high school would be to have a team that can line up in 21 personnel (2WR, 1TE, I formation) and run the football, but also be able to throw it off the boot and playaction out of it. I also want to be able to spread the field and be able to convert on third and long. In high school, if I run 50 offensive plays, I want somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 runs and 20 passes. Balance is a virtue, especially deep in the playoffs.

i think oakland oculd have tha best offence its jus they have to execute it like there suppost to or at least hit tha open guys that r always there....seeya dog! :)

Where did you learn to type and spell? By the way, what are you talking about? You're the first person on here to say that Oakland has receivers wide open and not being hit with the ball.

But going back to Hillsboro, they spent all of their time perfecting the Wing -T and couldn't throw a pass to save their lives-and it ended up biting them in the butt.

As a current and a former head coach told me, the wing-T is perfect if you don't want to spend any time learning how to pass block. However, the forward pass has been legal for quite some time, and most "Wing-T" teams will now break it out and throw it.

Balance is the key to any successful attack.

BTW, Brentwood won the 2002 BCB with a spread offense that was balanced.

ok look pass blocking is one of the easiest things to do in high school football

Edited by ptown_man

WING-T???? I DONT THINK SO. Name the last team in 10 years that has won a major Championship game?? All i know is Wartburg runs it and its horrible.

the WING-T portland runs a modified version and has for some time now and we have alot of different looks out of it yes it is slightly easy to defend but when you have 2 or 3 quick strong guards that can pull outside and hit a db and stay on him on one play and then on the next they hit a dt that out weighs him by about 50 pounds or so on a trap block and gets him out of the middle you win games...one more thing how many times in a row has portland been to the playoffs because i quit counting at 11 buddy!!!!!!!!

2000 STATE CHAMPIONS