new eurosport poll for 10/2

mjuhb

Gosh! I kinda like both polls. The real challenge is to be in the top on BOTH. I imagine if there were another viable poll, we would be debating about its accuracy too. Again, thanks mjuhb and whoever does the eurosport poll, I appreciate any effort that sparks competition among quality programs!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the Redmond Tennessee 11 on the Eurosport site? It seems poorly done also. JP2 goes from NR to #1 in a week. I'm not implying that they aren't #1, it's just insane that they were unranked previously.

In the same poll, Houston drops from 6 to 10 after two convincing wins? C'mon.

FRA #4 with no wins aganist strong teams.

Hutchison unranked after DESTROYING #5 Collierville 4-0 and convincingly beating #10 Houston two weeks ago 2-0, and tying #1 JP2? Can someone please make a case why they aren't there except that the poll stinks?

What is the Redmond Tennessee 11 on the Eurosport site? It seems poorly done also. JP2 goes from NR to #1 in a week. I'm not implying that they aren't #1, it's just insane that they were unranked previously.

In the same poll, Houston drops from 6 to 10 after two convincing wins? C'mon.

FRA #4 with no wins aganist strong teams.

Hutchison unranked after DESTROYING #5 Collierville 4-0 and convincingly beating #10 Houston two weeks ago 2-0, and tying #1 JP2? Can someone please make a case why they aren't there except that the poll stinks?

I agree exactly! :lol:

I must also state that the poll done here seems much more thoughtful and done with more care than the Eurosport poll. Eurosport seems to disregard head to head match-ups, common opponents, or how an team has played recently against what level of opponent.

The argument that the Eurosport poll is better because the creator is smart and knows soccer would cause the person arguing to recieve an F in any beginners debate class. Appeals to authority are only good when they are followed with facts and logic.

Brownhut, thank you for an intelligent comment! You are correct!

You wannabe's just don't get it. Coach McClosky does an excellent job with the eurosports poll. If you were half as smart as him, you would get a vote too! :thumb:

I don't "wannabe" anything nor do I want a vote. You don't know me and have no idea how smart I am, nor do I know Coach McClosky or the creator of the poll here on the CoachT soccer board to know how smart they might be. It doesn't matter! What matters as far as the polls go are results that make sense. I've asked someone to give possible expalnations as to why the EuroPoll has rankings as it does. "Coach McClosky does an excellent job" or "he's smart" aren't answers to the questions. I'm sure he's a good guy and tries hard, but the mechanics of the poll simply make no sense to me, so it is easy to dismiss as poorly done. It's not personal.

You wannabe's just don't get it. Coach McClosky does an excellent job with the eurosports poll. If you were half as smart as him, you would get a vote too! :thumb:

I happen to like the Eurosport poll, and I have never complained about how coach does it... all I wanted to know was who was involved.

And what classifies a "wanna be"?

Alright heres my opinion on the matter. Coach McCloskey is NOT behind the eurosport poll. Yes he is a very knowlegeable and respected coach so i could see why some people would think he was behind it. But the fact of the matter is, coach has been in and out of the hospital for the past few weeks with some complications from a knee surgery. I really dont think that coach would even spend time making a poll like this and believe me, i know him well.

Also the swimmer causing all these problems needs to be quiet. You know who you are.

I happen to like the Eurosport poll, and I have never complained about how coach does it... all I wanted to know was who was involved.

And what classifies a "wanna be"?

Hi BigG,

I hope all is going well. I have a little bit of histoy for this thread. The Eurosport poll's predecesor in Tennessee was soccerinfo.com. I think Coach McCloskey was very involved in either founding that site or, certainly, in making it available in Tennessee. Eurosport came aboard as a sponsor in high school soccer polling about two-three years ago (not sure). I believe Coach McCloskey is still involved in making this very fine site/service available to Tennessee high school soccer but it is not all him.

I was a Tennessee soccerinfo.com voting coach for 2 or 3 years in boys soccer. I stopped voting about 2 years ago. I didn't know who the other voters were or how many there were. I understood they were from all parts of the state. Each Sunday night I was instructed to e-mail my vote for DII boys soccer and the Redmond 11 to a central site. A couple of days later, the poll was updated after all of the votes were tallied. By and large, I usually felt the weekly poll was in the ballpark with my vote. I NEVER got the feeling that some team's rank was so out of whack as to suggest some kind of favoritism. My vote often was different in places from the published poll but I always thought any differences had some reasonable basis, even when I disagreed. I don't know how the poll is currently being run, but I bet it is the same.

In any event, I think both polls are fun to read and quibble with but neither can take the place of the playoffs. If you watch the evolution of the Eurosport poll, it will eventually take the state tournament results into substantial account.

I, for one, am very thankful that Coach McCloskey has taken his time and resources to help keep Tennessee high school soccer up to date like Georgia and other Eurosport states. And, by the way for all of you anti-DB folks who will assume I am a friend of his, I have never once talked to Coach McCloskey about the polls and I doubt he would even know me. In fact, I never coached against him or had any contact with either him or DB the entire time I was voting except to cheer as a fan for Bearden or Farragut when they gave DB its annual beating in the playoffs.

Finally, Go Lady Irish! I really want to see a CCS v. Knox Catholic state final. :o

Edited by hoya75

Hi BigG,

I hope all is going well. I have a little bit of histoy for this thread. The Eurosport poll's predecesor in Tennessee was soccerinfo.com. I think Coach McCloskey was very involved in either founding that site or, certainly, in making it available in Tennessee. Eurosport came aboard as a sponsor in high school soccer polling about two-three years ago (not sure). I believe Coach McCloskey is still involved in making this very fine site/service available to Tennessee high school soccer but it is not all him.

I was a Tennessee soccerinfo.com voting coach for 2 or 3 years in boys soccer. I stopped voting about 2 years ago. I didn't know who the other voters were or how many there were. I understood they were from all parts of the state. Each Sunday night I was instructed to e-mail my vote for DII boys soccer and the Redmond 11 to a central site. A couple of days later, the poll was updated after all of the votes were tallied. By and large, I usually felt the weekly poll was in the ballpark with my vote. I NEVER got the feeling that some team's rank was so out of whack as to suggest some kind of favoritism. My vote often was different in places from the published poll but I always thought any differences had some reasonable basis, even when I disagreed. I don't know how the poll is currently being run, but I bet it is the same.

In any event, I think both polls are fun to read and quibble with but neither can take the place of the playoffs. If you watch the evolution of the Eurosport poll, it will eventually take the state tournament results into substantial account.

I, for one, am very thankful that Coach McCloskey has taken his time and resources to help keep Tennessee high school soccer up to date like Georgia and other Eurosport states. And, by the way for all of you anti-DB folks who will assume I am a friend of his, I have never once talked to Coach McCloskey about the polls and I doubt he would even know me. In fact, I never coached against him or had any contact with either him or DB the entire time I was voting except to cheer as a fan for Bearden or Farragut when they gave DB its annual beating in the playoffs.

Finally, Go Lady Irish! I really want to see a CCS v. Knox Catholic state final. :o

That is how we do the NSCAA poll (I only do it for the guys, I am not involved enough in the girls' soccer outside of our local teams). No matter what the poll, there will always be disgruntled people and teams, but as long as they are done objectively, I think both are fine. I have disagreed with Eurosport at times, but overall I think they do a great job.

I also agree with Hoya... Polls are fine, and look great when you are in one, but they sure don't bring home any hardware, and there are times when being ranked #1 is a big load. Everyone wants to knock you off. I would rather fly under the radar and make my presence known at the tournament. Look at CCS boy's. They came into the state tourney with a losing record and then made it to the state finals and played a great game. I don't even know if they were ranked before Memphis. They were a very classy team.

Hoya, you know my heart is with my Lady Warriors, but outside of that, I am pulling for Catholic all the way. I would love to see a CAK vs. Catholic finals, but there is a LONG and difficult road before that happens. Good luck to all teams in districts next week.

I, for one, am very thankful that Coach McCloskey has taken his time and resources to help keep Tennessee high school soccer up to date like Georgia and other Eurosport states. And, by the way for all of you anti-DB folks who will assume I am a friend of his, I have never once talked to Coach McCloskey about the polls and I doubt he would even know me.

At least someone appreciates it :o

Hoya, you know my heart is with my Lady Warriors, but outside of that, I am pulling for Catholic all the way. I would love to see a CAK vs. Catholic finals, but there is a LONG and difficult road before that happens. Good luck to all teams in districts next week.

That final match would suit me. Right now, though, the Lady Warriors and the Lady Irish better concentrate on getting out of the district tournament. See you on the sidelines and good luck to CAK in districts.