DII AAA Balance of Season

itzme

Is DII AAA, as a whole, down this year? After MBA's first game I thought for sure they were going to be in for a very down year. But, then they turn around and beat the Brothers and continue to do well. Maybe SC (or Byrnes) football is just at a much higher level. . . Before I've always felt that the top end of DII AAA could compete with most of the high up teams in the country. Any explanation from those that have seen these teams up close?

Dont forget Byrnes is in the top 25 nation, and beat a top 10 team. Independence (I think?). So far, from what I know, no too many D2-AAA teams have lost to non-D2 teams. FRHS beat Franklin and Centinneal. I think the only team who has lost was McCallie to Alcoa, but I doubt anyone from D2 could really contend with Alc. So yes, we are still one of the best classes in TN.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The McCallie loss to Alcoa is what really surprised me. Especially considering Alcoa got blown out by Maryville. I suppose it's possible that game was just an anomaly and not a true indication of the DII competition, especially when one considers CBHS's dominant win over Melrose- who are right at the same echelon as Maryville. I consider DII AAA to be probably the best TN classification year-in and year-out. From what I'd previously seen of top 25 teams and top level TN DII teams, I always felt that latter could more than compete at that level most years. I suppose the Byrnes/Alcoa games just really caught me off guard.

I agree that most years DIIAAA is the best overall in TN, and most years it's really not even that close. Not sure this year. Certainly the top teams can compete with anyone, and have this year as well. Even BA, a middle of the pack DII3A team, did beat Ravenwood, one of the better DI5A teams.

I too was surprised by the McCallie losses. Not that Alcoa and Powell aren't good teams...they are, but normally a top DII team would win those games. On the other hand, McCallie has had a relatively easy schedule in division so far. They have a chance to prove what they're made of at MBA next week. IMHO, MUS is the best team (sorry Brothers!) this year, and would beat any team in the state on a given night.

I think it's pretty clear that DIIAAA is not as strong as usual, although still better than any other single region in the state top to bottom. To your point, even Ryan and Briarcrest...non-factors in DII play...have beaten or played tough some good DI teams.

Edited by itzme

I think that this year is another classic example of DII football at its finest. Now I am not saying that the teams are as good or dominate as they have been in the past, but on almost any given night in DIIAAA one team could beat another. After the MUS-CBHS game I was talking with MUS' qb and he said that it was an example of what happens when you play not to lose. I think he summed it up perfectly, on any night of high school football if a team plays not to lose, then it is almost certain (in most cases of pretty evenly matched teams) that you are going to lose.

Must be a Baylor fan. Shoulda, woulda, coulda - kinda sums up Baylor's season.

I agree with you about their season (too much talent on that team to not be more of a dominant force) However, MUS game was definatly not one sided, Baylor put up a great fight- close game- without 2 penalties you could have a win for Baylor-

but that's football, eh? :blink: