Field Conditions

coachsmith81

There are a few fields in the Midstate area in 2A that are not up to par. This is a great crime. Your football field should be a cherished and taken care of so that the grass is green and thick. Not muddy and rough. I understand the not cutting grass to slow the faster teams down. But not taking care of your field and allowing dirt spots to come up is just wrong. Do not make the excuse that "we play middle school and high school sports on this field. So do most other 2A schools and yet the rest of us can keep our field in playing condition year round.

DeKalb County has a cruddy field. No dirt spots yet (that I've noticed) but plenty of holes from soccer.

Our facilities are just bad all the way around but no one cares.

Every football team from jr pee wee all the way up uses that feild and so does boys and girls soccer!!!!

Soccer finally got their own field and for some reason can't use it.

DeKalb County has a cruddy field. No dirt spots yet (that I've noticed) but plenty of holes from soccer.

Every football team from jr pee wee all the way up uses that feild and so does boys and girls soccer!!!!

:thumb: Well, I don't think Dekalbs field is in that bad of shape. Certianly, the soccer team is not putting holes in it. They kick the ball and each other , not the field. The soccer field cannot be used, because the school does not support soccer and will not help fix it. The coach, who has no assistants, cannot do all this by himself. We have formed a soccer booster club to try to make up money , but it is just in the beginning stages. I know the DCHS football boys and soccer team share the practice field and get along quite well. However, when the peewees come to practice on the field, thier parents are rude and think the soccer team should just move aside for them. They are not even HS. They should practice somewhere else, like thier own school.

There are a few fields in the Midstate area in 2A that are not up to par. This is a great crime. Your football field should be a cherished and taken care of so that the grass is green and thick. Not muddy and rough. I understand the not cutting grass to slow the faster teams down. But not taking care of your field and allowing dirt spots to come up is just wrong. Do not make the excuse that "we play middle school and high school sports on this field. So do most other 2A schools and yet the rest of us can keep our field in playing condition year round.

How nice it must be to coach at a private school where you don't have to fight a county bureaucracy to have your playing field taken care of. Or if your a public school, to have an administration that cares enough to insure that the field is looked after. What a wonderful world it would be...

When did Dekalb move down to 2a? I think the topic is 2a. :thumb: Nah...this thread is useless. There's no need to bash schools for their field. The way I see it...if you don't like it...I am sure they wouldn't complain if you want to come out and spend your time and money working on the field.

Honestly, it isn't that hard to take care of your game field or practice field. It's grass. It doesn't take a brain surgeon, but only some study on the subject. Here are a few options.

1. You drive around and find out who on your team has the best looking yard. I would BET that you have a player on the team whose dad knows something about taking care of a yard. It could be a farmer who knows about hay, an uncle who does lawn care, or a dad who is so anal about his yard that he just about holds a degree in lawn care. They exist, so allow them to come out and help you.

2. Hire a lawn care place to come out and at least inspect your field. They will usually give you a free estimate if you start using them, or charge you $30.00 to tell you what needs to be done in order to get it done. To get your field in good working order, you "might" spend a little under a $1000 dollars over the course of the season to let those guys take care of it. Then you only have to mow. And that ANY program can afford.

Just a thought. Take it for what it is, good advice. :thumb:

Edited by fieldgoal1