Is the new multiplier rule working

my2cents

play with the kids you have in your school zone ????????

field a team on a shoe string budget ???????????????????

try to find a coach who is willing to spend all the time in the world coaching for little to no extra pay ?????????????????????????

facilities that are far far far from what you need ??????????????????

oh yeah those are things privates dont know anything about

the multiplier rule was never intended to be based on wins and losses, it was to even the playing field a bit , now here is the kicker and i know when i say this the private school support will come down on me , but look at usj in west tn , they are struggling at the 2a level in a tough reigon how long if this cont. do you think it will be before they adjust there enrollment to drop back down, its not and never will be fair i dont care what anyone says for 1a publics to be playing a team that can and does get there players from where ever , im not saying privates recruit because lets be honest most of the big time private programs dont have to kids want to, go play at these schools nothing wrong with that if i were living in a metro area i would want my kids to attend private schools to not only for ath. but for edu. they would get but its still not fair look at the numbers thats all you have to do last year in the second round of the playoffs, wayne county lost to dca, dca had around 90 or so players on there team while wayne county had less than 40 most privates at the 1a level had 3a and 4a type depth that doesnt happen at most 1a publics

Cats,

I wrote a long diatribe about small privates being Christian schools and athletics being secondary...but I erased it. Wasn't worth the effort. Consider this, is it fair for regular publics to play magnets? Is it fair for Rural publics to play Metro? Is it fair for open county schools to play county schools that aren't open enrollment?

I submit it is, because "Fair" is not the same thing as "equal". There is no such thing as "equality" in sports...every school is different and has advantages and disadvantages. If they play the same game by the same rules, then it is "Fair". Now, should schools at a severe disadvantage have to play schools with a large advantage? Maybe not...but now we have to define what constitutes a large advantage. Is it breadth of area that students come from? Then open county and magnet schools are in the same boat. Is it participation? Then all the "power programs" both public and private are in the same boat. If not those things then something else...but there will be other types of schools that have the same advantages.

The only conclusion to the fact that the privates were the only group of schools that got multiplied is that the multiplier is a prejudiced act, and THAT is, in fact, "unfair".

ps A merit system would be fair...takes into account all the possible advantages and disadvantages by looking at performance. That would be a fair solution.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antwan, I said that there were some REALLY good teams in 3a...in general it is weaker than 2a. Fulton beat the snot out of us as would most of the teams you listed, but notice I was giving the top 3a teams credit. You need to read better.

Actually it is working about like I thought it would. 3a is weak except for a few REALLY good teams, so it doesn't surprise me that ND and DL are dominating there.

Here's what you said...my reading is fine. Maybe you need to think a little before hitting those keys. :lol:

catsfan01: USJ's struggles have more to do with having the youngest team they've ever had this year. 2A is definetley tougher, but, if you'll recall, USJ also lost games to two of their traditional (still 1A) doormats this year in Fayette Academy and Jackson Christian. USJ's enrollment is now at an all time high, and they just opened a brand new lower school last year. So, I really do not forsee them kicking out the 150 or so students they would need to go down to 1A. The more likely result here is the complete separation of privates and publics in three years, which I am all for.

Cats,

I wrote a long diatribe about small privates being Christian schools and athletics being secondary...but I erased it. Wasn't worth the effort. Consider this, is it fair for regular publics to play magnets? Is it fair for Rural publics to play Metro? Is it fair for open county schools to play county schools that aren't open enrollment?

I submit it is, because "Fair" is not the same thing as "equal". There is no such thing as "equality" in sports...every school is different and has advantages and disadvantages. If they play the same game by the same rules, then it is "Fair". Now, should schools at a severe disadvantage have to play schools with a large advantage? Maybe not...but now we have to define what constitutes a large advantage. Is it breadth of area that students come from? Then open county and magnet schools are in the same boat. Is it participation? Then all the "power programs" both public and private are in the same boat. If not those things then something else...but there will be other types of schools that have the same advantages.

The only conclusion to the fact that the privates were the only group of schools that got multiplied is that the multiplier is a prejudiced act, and THAT is, in fact, "unfair".

ps A merit system would be fair...takes into account all the possible advantages and disadvantages by looking at performance. That would be a fair solution.

Preach on brother, preach on!!! I have a question Baldcoach. If the Privates do split from the publics, would we need to or have to keep the TSSAA involved? Like many, I feel the privates have been sent a clear message that we're not very loved by our governing body. I say we ditch them and start our own organization if we split. :blink:

Preach on brother, preach on!!! I have a question Baldcoach. If the Privates do split from the publics, would we need to or have to keep the TSSAA involved? Like many, I feel the privates have been sent a clear message that we're not very loved by our governing body. I say we ditch them and start our own organization if we split. :blink:

I think that the blame game on the TSSAA needs to be addressed. First of all the employees of the TSSAA are not the rule makers, they are the rule enforcers. The rule makers are the legislative body made up of mostly public school administrators. It is not the staff of the TSSAA that decided for the multiplier and they are catching all the flack. They have nothing against private schools. Menees' kids went to a private school. His daughters were good athletes for their school. Carter I do not feel supports a split of anykind but he has govern the organization by the rules that participating schools establish.

Dont't wish for something that would have a very negative impact on High School sports like a seperate organization for privates. I would hate to think that some of the rivalries of public vs private schools in some sports would no longer be allowed to be played. How about Boyd Buchanon vs Soddy Daisy in softball as a game not allowed?

I think that the blame game on the TSSAA needs to be addressed. First of all the employees of the TSSAA are not the rule makers, they are the rule enforcers. The rule makers are the legislative body made up of mostly public school administrators. It is not the staff of the TSSAA that decided for the multiplier and they are catching all the flack. They have nothing against private schools. Menees' kids went to a private school. His daughters were good athletes for their school. Carter I do not feel supports a split of anykind but he has govern the organization by the rules that participating schools establish.

Dont't wish for something that would have a very negative impact on High School sports like a seperate organization for privates. I would hate to think that some of the rivalries of public vs private schools in some sports would no longer be allowed to be played. How about Boyd Buchanon vs Soddy Daisy in softball as a game not allowed?

std,

While I agree that the TSSAA is a rule enforcer, they have failed to create a legislative body that is representative of all the member schools. In fact, there are 0 voting private school members on the rules committee. So what we small privates are experiencing now is "Multiplication without Representation". In Boston they dumped tea to protest, then they kicked off a 20 year War of Independence. I truly believe that if the TSSAA is going to force all the privates into our own league then we should take our money elsewhere. It wouldn't be the privates that were initiating hostile action, but I think it would be appropriate to respond.

Personally, I think the privates should respond aggressively to continued discrimination. Up until now we have all (with the exception of the BA court case) simply abided by the decisions of the TSSAA. If total seperation is mandated then I say the gloves come off. The Supreme Court has already ruled that the TSSAA is a state agency. If they insist on segregating the private school athletes I think we should not only create our own association but sue for costs and damages incurred by an illegal action on the part of the State of Tennessee. But I admit this whole issue burns me up, so I am probably speaking out of anger rather than sense.

Having said all that, I really like the rivalries and friendships that we have with our local public schools. It has been sad to me this year not to be able to anticipate the huge South Pittsburg game. I find myself keeping tabs on Lookout Valley and rooting for them as they turn their team around. Playing in a seperate association would certainly put a damper on those types of reltaionships. But having a TPSAA as a seperate entity wouldn't preclude games with the TSSAA schools, after all, currently there are several schools around the state that play agianst non-TSSAA schools. So it might not be so bad.

Good post...std. I don't think anyone wants a separate association. I know I don't.

I do want separate divisons within the tssaa. Good point about Carter and Menees.

I don't think the multiplier is the answer. That will soon be apparent.

If you think it's difficult to schedule now...split into your own association. There would be no interplay in the regular season. You can bank on that.

Why not? Teams play teams from other associations now. The only reason that there would not be any games scheduled between them would be if the TSSAA said that it was illegal to do so...which I don't see happening. And it is already difficult to schedule because the publics will already not play us...so that doesn't really change.

So I'm still looking for some disadvantages to forming a seperate association if the TSSAA splits us off. I know there probably are some, I just can't think of any right now.

Here are some of the advantages:

We would actually have a Board of Control that wasn't anti-private

Money from our larger-than-the-average-public crowds would be used for us, not to fight against us

We could structure the rules so that they were equitable for all

We would know that when a problem arose we would be listened too..because we would be in charge, not a bunch of public school ADs who could care less

and various other advantages along those lines.