Georgia and Illinois Multiplier possibly shelved

titan1

Democracy? Hardly. There is not a single private school represented on the TSSAA Board of Control and only one private school (FRA) with representation on the legislative council.

That's still democracy, since each of the nine districts has a public majority, and they weren't gerrymandered. It is, however, illustrative of a pitfall of excess democracy, called the tyranny of the majority.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also worth noting is that the Illinois multiplier is not just on privates: "non-boundaried" public schools also get the multiplier there, to the extent it is used.

True, but then the IHSA granted "waivers" to several magnet schools and small private schools. Then the IHSA, after denying waivers for about a dozen other Catholic schools, granted one to a Chicago school that won the Class A basketball title in 2004.

Also, the multiplier applies only to schools above a certain enrollment. Left unaffected were one of the state's football powers (currently on a streak of four consecutive state titles) and another school that won basketball titles in 2003 and 2005 with some high-profile transfers.

In short, Illinois' execution of their multiplier plan was very hasty and sloppy, and now they're paying the price for it. At least Tennessee has some consistency to their plan.

Edited by kentuckian

Let's make it real easy.

Drop the multiplier period!!!!

Let all schools who offer financial aid or who are private schools play in their own regions. If you can afford $7,000+ to send your kid to a school then extra costs to travel should not be a problem. If that "education" is special at that private school, then the "sports" should be as well. My hat is off to the BA's of the state who offer aid and travel and make their budget. Those that pretend that their budgets won't allow the extra cost of travel and it won't be fair....make it simple....raise tuition another $1,000 per student.

Look for legal action here in Tenn as well.

Let's make it real easy.

Drop the multiplier period!!!!

Let all schools who offer financial aid or who are private schools play in their own regions. If you can afford $7,000+ to send your kid to a school then extra costs to travel should not be a problem. If that "education" is special at that private school, then the "sports" should be as well. My hat is off to the BA's of the state who offer aid and travel and make their budget. Those that pretend that their budgets won't allow the extra cost of travel and it won't be fair....make it simple....raise tuition another $1,000 per student.

Look for legal action here in Tenn as well.

Ok I agree Drop the Multiplier. Why the Heck would the Privates even need the TSSAA. The whole deal is if you let the privates in the league you must let them all play by the same league rules. Its not just a question of their own regions or divisions or classes. You must let them in or Kick them out of the league.... By the way BullDog the state of Tennessee and its counties spend $6500/year per student to send a kid to public school and when they need or want extra money they just raise your taxes.

Dhack

private schools are just that "private" they are not state or federally funded. I do not see how that could sue the TSSAA based on the fact that the TSSAA is a state agency.

Any Private entity can sue the state. The state is providing a service and You have to Pay the TSSAA to join and stay a member. Once they take your money your in the club. If they are sued it will be for Descrimination and bias against members it has let in.

I hope it is contagious and moves to Tennessee.

Let them sue.

I will find that interesting on two fronts: 1-Ronnie Carter's son coaches at a Private school and 2- I always hear that several private schools have no money(at least that is one of the reasons why they say they can't compete aaginst Div 1 and 2) and if that is true how do they find the resources to sue.

Throw all of them together and divide into classes like the public.

Democracy? Hardly. There is not a single private school represented on the TSSAA Board of Control and only one private school (FRA) with representation on the legislative council.

I think George Washington and the boys called it "Democracy", the majority rules.

You privates can complain all you want, but the TSSAA has leveled the playing field and the privates, which have owend the single A state champ forever, will have to do like the publics..."play with what gets off that yellow bus ".

I think George Washington and the boys called it "Democracy", the majority rules.

You privates can complain all you want, but the TSSAA has leveled the playing field and the privates, which have owend the single A state champ forever, will have to do like the publics..."play with what gets off that yellow bus ".

Amen brother..........let the Multiplier go the way of Harriet Miers....and Let the privates duke it out.

I would love to see an "even" playing field with private schools......if possible.