Tobacco Illegal on Football Field

Sarah Beth

Should we fly the confederate flag at football game?WELL NOW THATS A GOOD QUESTION, I THOUGHT WE STILL DID. What relatives of the coaching staff get in free to games. THATS AN EASY QUESTION, ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO CLAIM HIM AS A FAMILY MEMEBER. Just spouses? NO NOT ALL THE SPOUSES, I DON'T WANT ALL MY EX-WIVES THERE ITS HARD ENOUGH DEALING WITH THE CROWD WITHOUT THEM ON MY BACK. Should cousins get in free also? YEA COUSINS SHOULD GET IN. SOME OF THEM ARE MY BEST ASSISTANT COACHES. What if they are the same person? OH NO, ALL EX-WIVES WHO ARE ALSO COUSINS HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN (I GOTTA GET MY ALIMONEY BACK SOMEHOW) Should confederate money be allowed to be used at the concession stand? ONLY IF IT HAS LEE OR JACKSON ON THE FRONT. DON'T WANT TO LOWER OUR STANDARDS TOO MUCH. Should words such as Y'all and "Fixin to" be allowed to be spoken? WELL NOW THEY SHOULD BE USED ONLY IF YOU WANT THE CROWD TO KNOW WHATS GOIN ON. Should we really even have scoreboards since the majority of the population can't read anyway? YES WE SHOULD THATS WHERE MY KINFOLK HAVE THEIR TAILGATE PARTY AND THE LIGHTS KEEP THE BUGS OFF THE FOOD.

I SHOULDN'T A DONE THAT BUT I JUST COULD NOT PASS UP ENTERTAINING MYSELF.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the ignorant rationalizations in the thread. The fact is it's wrong and it's harmful. All your rationalizations and attempts to be cute about it don't change that fact. Coaches are role models and many do have a disproportionate amount of influence on the young people under their guidance. Tobacco is illegal for minors for very good reasons. Use of tobacco is a nasty, harmful habit. Coaches should care more about their players than to play a significant part in a player's becoming addicted.

Acting like this is no big deal speaks to the mentality of those making such posts. I guess this is the kind of thinking that originated the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss."

Should we fly the confederate flag at football game?WELL NOW THATS A GOOD QUESTION, I THOUGHT WE STILL DID. What relatives of the coaching staff get in free to games. THATS AN EASY QUESTION, ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO CLAIM HIM AS A FAMILY MEMEBER. Just spouses? NO NOT ALL THE SPOUSES, I DON'T WANT ALL MY EX-WIVES THERE ITS HARD ENOUGH DEALING WITH THE CROWD WITHOUT THEM ON MY BACK. Should cousins get in free also? YEA COUSINS SHOULD GET IN. SOME OF THEM ARE MY BEST ASSISTANT COACHES. What if they are the same person? OH NO, ALL EX-WIVES WHO ARE ALSO COUSINS HAVE TO PAY TO GET IN (I GOTTA GET MY ALIMONEY BACK SOMEHOW) Should confederate money be allowed to be used at the concession stand? ONLY IF IT HAS LEE OR JACKSON ON THE FRONT. DON'T WANT TO LOWER OUR STANDARDS TOO MUCH. Should words such as Y'all and "Fixin to" be allowed to be spoken? WELL NOW THEY SHOULD BE USED ONLY IF YOU WANT THE CROWD TO KNOW WHATS GOIN ON. Should we really even have scoreboards since the majority of the population can't read anyway? YES WE SHOULD THATS WHERE MY KINFOLK HAVE THEIR TAILGATE PARTY AND THE LIGHTS KEEP THE BUGS OFF THE FOOD.

I SHOULDN'T A DONE THAT BUT I JUST COULD NOT PASS UP ENTERTAINING MYSELF.

Well said, and I didn't know that I was your cousin. Tobacco is nasty, especially in trash cans when you lift out the sack and it drips on your pant leg. I have seen GOKARS teeth and I think they are just fine.

I hope that this thread gets all the attention it deserves, I personally know coaches who dip who have made an impact on a lot of young men’s' lives. Some of these kids had drunks, drug users, child abusers and criminals for parents. I personally know of one young man that played for a hard nosed tobacco using coach, who now is a pillar of the community in which he lives. He is a coach himself and has just started to make a difference in his athlete’s lives. Whoever started this thread needs to get a life and worry about their own shortcomings and mistakes. Even a tobacco using coach knows the old saying "Let those without sin cast the first stone."

:P

I can't believe the "ignorant rationalizations" in the thread. The fact is it's wrong and it's harmful. All your rationalizations and attempts to be cute about it don't change that fact. Coaches are role models and many do have a disproportionate amount of influence on the young people under their guidance. Tobacco is illegal for minors for very good reasons. Use of tobacco is a nasty, harmful habit. Coaches should care more about their players than to play a significant part in a player's becoming addicted.

Acting like this is no big deal speaks to the mentality of those making such posts. I guess this is the kind of thinking that originated the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss."

I would ten to one rather give "ignorant rationalizations" than to be a nosey-busy-body trying to tell other people what and when they can do something. You act like a coach is getting your child down and pulling his lip down and stuff the Skoal right in. I would be willing to bet there isn't a handful of your own family that doesn't do things in front of your children a whole lot worse than using tobacco. Why not worry about what they do in front of your children instead of what a coach does in front of mine? If YOUR coach uses tobacco and YOU don't want YOUR child to see it then do what YOU feel is necessary in YOUR case, but everyone would do a lot better if arrogant, self-centered people would keep their nose out of everybody else's business. Once again we have the minority trying to dictate to the majority what THEY feel is right. If seeing a coach use tobacco is the worse thing you ever have to worry about as a parent, then thank God and count your blessings. But if you are that insecure about your parental skills then you will have one miserable life trying to raise kids in this day and time. Take the time you are worrying about what someone else is doing, that doesn't even effect you directly, and spend it talking to your kids about tobacco, drugs, suicide, AIDS, and driving too fast and you just might be able to counter some of the terrible influence that mean ole coach has had over your baby.

The fact that you want to call other people ignorant just because they have a difference of opinion than you do, really goes to show how one-sided you thinking really is. Just like tobacco use, it is a matter of choice and everyone should be entitled to their own opinion without someone trying to degrade them because their opinions differ. I seriously advise you to get a grip on reality unless you plan on holding your childs hand until he graduates from college. It seems as though people are always looking for someone else to blame when their kids screw up. Here's another "ignorant rationalizations" thought for ya......... The number one cause of teenage deaths today is automobile accidents. I think all coaches should stop driving so our kids won't get killed in car wrecks.

Rules state that tobacco is an illegal substance to use while performing any athletic coaching under TSSAA. Yet when you go to high school it's common to see coaches using smokeless methods of tobacco. So why aren't the TSSAA rules being enforced? :lol:

Mind your own business!!!!

GO EAGLES!

I can't believe the ignorant rationalizations in the thread. The fact is it's wrong and it's harmful. All your rationalizations and attempts to be cute about it don't change that fact. Coaches are role models and many do have a disproportionate amount of influence on the young people under their guidance. Tobacco is illegal for minors for very good reasons. Use of tobacco is a nasty, harmful habit. Coaches should care more about their players than to play a significant part in a player's becoming addicted.

To label me "ignorant" because you dont agree with me or others opinion on this subject is actually, in your words..."ignorant"

I didn't get to vote as to allow or not allow tobacco products on the field. Did you? You say tobacco is wrong and harmful. How is tobacco wrong? Harmful, maybe. It hasn't been that long ago that science said milk would cause cancer. So will the sacarine in your coffee every morning. My grandpa dipped for as long as I can remember and he died of a heart attack working his butt off on a hot summer day. Not of cancer.

My thing is folks..this is America, take resposibility for your own actions. If I chose to die of smoking or dipping or drinking...ya know what? Its MY choice not yours. I am not harming you. Quit trying to impose YOUR will on others that don't want it. I'm not telling you to start dipping. Don't tell me to stop.

Pay attetnion to your kids and talk to them about thier choices. Then you won't have to worry about a coach that "breaks these rules" and dips in front of them.

BTW this has been a good topic of discussion. I have been very interested in others thoughts on this subject!!!

you know what tells us its wrong? a piece of paper..you cant change people..stop trying to get everyone to follow your path..they wont...

Just out of curiosity, why don't some one start a poll. Ask the question "Do you care if your child's coach dips"

I don't know how to do it or I would, plus I don't know if CoachT will allow it. I am betting that the "No" I dont care will win.

I think that a poll more to the point of this thread would have the question "Do you care if your child's coach doesn't follow TSSAA rules"

If a majority agrees, then perhaps they should work to change the rules.

To label me "ignorant" because you dont agree with me or others opinion on this subject is actually, in your words..."ignorant"

I didn't get to vote as to allow or not allow tobacco products on the field. Did you? You say tobacco is wrong and harmful. How is tobacco wrong? Harmful, maybe. It hasn't been that long ago that science said milk would cause cancer. So will the sacarine in your coffee every morning. My grandpa dipped for as long as I can remember and he died of a heart attack working his butt off on a hot summer day. Not of cancer.

My thing is folks..this is America, take resposibility for your own actions. If I chose to die of smoking or dipping or drinking...ya know what? Its MY choice not yours. I am not harming you. Quit trying to impose YOUR will on others that don't want it. I'm not telling you to start dipping. Don't tell me to stop.

Pay attetnion to your kids and talk to them about thier choices. Then you won't have to worry about a coach that "breaks these rules" and dips in front of them.

BTW this has been a good topic of discussion. I have been very interested in others thoughts on this subject!!!

The topic of whether or not dipping/chewing is good or bad isn't really the issue here. Everyone has a story to tell or an opinion about it!

The issue is if it's ok to break rules.

The TSSAA says coaches/players can't use tobacco on the field, right?

So the question put to you is, why is it allowed if it is against the rules????

The topic of whether or not dipping/chewing is good or bad isn't really the issue here. Everyone has a story to tell or an opinion about it!

The issue is if it's ok to break rules.

The TSSAA says coaches/players can't use tobacco on the field, right?

So the question put to you is, why is it allowed if it is against the rules????

The simple idea that a rule is a rule and should not be broken at all is like saying all penalties should have the same punishment. Of course they do not because certain rules have more direct impact than others. If every rule was equal then the player who should be ejected for the flagrant personal foul would only get a 5 yard penalty...... or how about if we eject a player for illegal procedure?

Tobacco use has no direct bearing on the game of football, therefore in my opinion it is not right for such a rule to be passed down by a supposed governing body of a sport. Every school district should be the ones responsible to dictate such rules and there is absolutely no need for the TSSAA to even make such a rule in the first place, IMHO they have stepped beyond their governing powers. In our school district it is permited to smoke on school property as long as it is not in violation of the state law, which says you cannot smoke inside a building. Meanwhile when we travel to other school districts they have laws stating that smoking and/or tobacco use on school property is against their policy. So smokers, dippers, etc must leave school property to enjoy their habit and I do so without a word because they have a right to dictate such laws and it affects me directly. If the coach wants to dip, chew or smoke then it is up to him and if caught he must pay the penalty for it, not me, so I don't care what he does since it doesn't directly affect the game of football. Now if a coach was teaching a kid to spear or commit other flagrant fouls then I would not stand for that, because it does affect other kids and can get people hurt and it does directly affect the sport he is coaching. There is a big difference when we are talking about rules that do or do not affect the game in my opinion.

A lot of the parents should be grateful you have the coaches you have because most of them definitely don't get paid enough to put up with some of the things they do and the long hours they put in make the pay look even smaller. There is no way I would leave my home at 7:00 in the morning and work till 8 or 9 at night for what they get paid. Some game nights they don't get home until 2 or 3 in the morning. What about the away games when you stop so the kids can eat and 4 or 5 don't have any money and that coach shells or 6 or 7 bucks apiece so a child can eat. How about the kids that don't have a ride home after practice and the coach makes sure they all get home safely because we all know if he didn't and something happened to one of the kids he would most likely be blamed. I think next time I see our coach I will thank him again for all he has done for our kids and I will personally buy him a can of his favorite smokeless tobacco.