Tobacco Illegal on Football Field

Sarah Beth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules state that tobacco is an illegal substance to use while performing any athletic coaching under TSSAA. Yet when you go to high school it's common to see coaches using smokeless methods of tobacco. So why aren't the TSSAA rules being enforced? :D

Just as long as they don't spit on the players or officials I wouldnt worry about it, it probably keeps them calm on the sidelines a little bit as well. This is just another thing for people to gripe about. You ever heard dont sweat the little things when big things are going on all around you.

I disagree. A rule is made to be followed. Adults plainly not following the rules sets a very bad example for those boys.

"Some rules are ok to break, you choose which ones you want to follow, the others are unimportant".

Not a good message for young men.

It happens at our school as well, most of the I suspect.

TSSAA should pay better attention.

Well here ya go.

Allow me to be stupid for a moment.

It's all about common sense and respect. In which the youth of today has very little.

Ya know some rules are meant to be broken.

Freak'n politically correct stuff is ruining this country and my good time.

Everybody needs a clear defined instruction manual to function today. Well all that is doin is taken away peoples ability to think and act.

The coaches are adults and do set examples, but jeeze Louieeze if the parents aren't doing their jobs you better hope a tobacco problem is all they pick up.

Won't be long our kids won't want to deal with others and do everything via computer. Clear defined areas of control there.

The good ole boy ways worked pretty darn good for my pappy , grand pappy and his pappy before.

Act like an adult and get treated as one. Quit taking stuff so dang serious.

Edited by Plowboy Deluxe

This is a tough one. While I agree some coach's nerves might not make it through the first half w/o tobacco, I'd hate to learn of a kid years later w/ mouth cancer because he started dipping like his coach. Chewing tobacco is not the worst thing a coach could do, and if the coach is a good example otherwise I'd say consider yourself lucky. I personally do not take offense to others dipping, as mentioned earlier it's much better than secondhand smoke, but I don't really think there is a clear cut way to say it's okay. Not even because tobacco is dangerous but more so because that is a rule, and how do you say one TSSAA rule ( even though you don't agree with it or see the harm in breaking it ) is not as important as any other. With that being said, I know a few really excellant coaches and role models, who happen to have a skoal ring. :thumb:

I disagree. A rule is made to be followed. Adults plainly not following the rules sets a very bad example for those boys.

"Some rules are ok to break, you choose which ones you want to follow, the others are unimportant".

Not a good message for young men.

It happens at our school as well, most of the I suspect.

TSSAA should pay better attention.

Good point....you can't argue with that :thumb:

Politically correct asside, this is a federal law.

Federal law states no tobacco products carried or used on school property.

And for your information, spit is nasty. Those boys walk through it all during the game. Spit is spit is spit.

My pappy did well too, his pappy and his pappy did just as good but rules change all the time and mostly for the better.

Now, if you don't mind, please name a rule that made to be broken.

It doesn't hurt anybody for a coach to chew on the sideline. I haven't seen any coaches doing it during a game, but don't see a reason why this would hurt anyone. Smoking yes, secondhand smoke is bad. But i don't see anyone forcing the dip into the players mouth (or hand).

People will have different opinions on this, i personally think that if a coach decides to do it then let them, its their choice, and they can stick with consequences but you don't see it being forced to a player

you hit the nail on the head buddy...besides you can have tobacco products school grounds after 6 o'clock...no matter what

not completly correct...

state law prohibits smoking inside school buildings..... any time there is juveniles present..... i don't think it addresses smokeless tobacco....

persons under the age of 18 cannot possess or use any type of tobacco products....

and, if the school wants to, they have the right to make the campus a "smoke free zone" 24x7, and if you light up, then they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse, you can be charged with criminal trespass....

i am not aware of any state law that prohibits smoking or the use of smokeless tobacco on the campus...it may be a local board policy, but the only state law i am aware of is the one prohibiting smoking "inside" a building that is used by students...

Edited by mg